Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Body mount chop question

Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Body mount chop question

Hello, think I might need to trim my body mount a little to fit some larger tires. Any idea what this would cost? I also am looking for a shop in orange county or northern san diego willing to shave it back a little. From a quick search it looks like most are doing it themselfs but that would not end well for me...
Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Rob
robdawg14m is a jewel in the roughrobdawg14m is a jewel in the roughrobdawg14m is a jewel in the rough
Marines: 2nd MP BN
Name: Robert
robdawg14m's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine myself with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel. I got quoted 200 to have it done by a 4x4 shop, but I live in TX.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdawg14m View Post
I did mine myself with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel. I got quoted 200 to have it done by a 4x4 shop, but I live in TX.
How much did you shave out? Pretty sure the grinding part I could do but welding and I do not get along.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
JGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud of
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine myself also. I just followed this and cut about the same amount
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mount-mod.html

you could probably get away without welding the plate back on and just keeping the mount open

but I also still have rubbing in the front of the wheel well on the plastic fender wells (which I have also cut and tied back).
Old 04-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
JGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud of
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
what size tires do you have?

any lift?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
a 275-65-18 = 32.07x10.83
or 285-65-18 = 32.59x11.22

Current size 285-60-18s = 31.46x11.22

I have 5100s in the front and back front is set to 1.5 I think, back has new leafs so it should be fine. I think both of the sizes above will make it but wanted to be ready if I need to trim some steel. It looks like the extra 1/2 inch extra will clear the mount but I have been wrong before.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe crank up the 5100s a bit and I think you'll be ok with the 32".

But if you do rub - just go ahead and cut it - you'll feel better after you do. And like I said - If you don't weld the gap closed right away - you should still be okay.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #8

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
I did mine myself also, pics in my gallery. Its not bad if you have common sense.
Remember my dump post?
No really think I will give it a go if the 32's rub.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Hunter423
Hunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant future

Name: hunter
Hunter423's Tacoma Gallery
i had a friend do i mine iv got 33" goodyear kevlar mtr's and they fit great no rubn now
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
cut it and welded my self
Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
Looks good. I've noticed people just cutting the end like yours. I went all the way down, and around the body mount a little then boxed it back in.
ya i have seen that i just think this way is cleaner my tire will never hit this it will be the body now
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #13

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
ya i have seen that i just think this way is cleaner my tire will never hit this it will be the body now
How thick is the "cap" you welded on? what is the worst case if you just cut it and don't get it capped for a month or so?
TexasIslandBoy, how much do you think you cut off? Trying to figure out how much I should cut.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
THE RED DRAGON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrom View Post
How thick is the "cap" you welded on? what is the worst case if you just cut it and don't get it capped for a month or so?
TexasIslandBoy, how much do you think you cut off? Trying to figure out how much I should cut.

Thanks
what i did is went with the body of the truck down on the mount and then cut it welded up a 16g sheet metal its just so mud and junk doesnt get caught up in there
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
DMZ RACE AND FAB in NORCO, CA $200