LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bored at work = Bedrail tiedowns

Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
Bored at work = Bedrail tiedowns

I was bored at work today, hanging cable tray sucks. Decided since I have the perfect supply of materials and a grinder and bandsaw that I'd make some bedrail tiedowns. The weakest part (not counting the bedrail) is the nut rated at 1200 pounds, and the eyebolts are good for 1550 pounds
"working weight". No more plastic tiedown cleats, fully adjustable, add as many tiedowns as you like.

Thinking of mass producing these, how much would be a reasonable price to charge?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yeah not gonna ship, just local deals
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
everleet is on a distinguished road

everleet's Tacoma Gallery
thats pretty sweet. let me know if you decide to start shipping some out, i would be interested
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty cool design! I like them better then the stock bed rail tie-downs. Less easy for people to steal as well. Great job
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everleet View Post
thats pretty sweet. let me know if you decide to start shipping some out, i would be interested
everleet it'd be cheaper to make yourself than for me to ship i think. I can give you a parts/tools/howto rundown if you'd like
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Is that 3/8" hardware? I'm running the flat washer inside the track, otherwise the unistrut nut pops out.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
2010SWB is on a distinguished road
2010SWB's Tacoma Gallery
looks like regular strut sping nut 1/4 20 thread. could be wrong not sure what he used.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
Thanks guys.

everleet it'd be cheaper to make yourself than for me to ship i think. I can give you a parts/tools/howto rundown if you'd like
I would like to know how you made these so I can make some. Thank You.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
Is that 3/8" hardware? I'm running the flat washer inside the track, otherwise the unistrut nut pops out.
I used 3/8in for mine.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
3/8"x16. I ground down some 1/4"x20 nuts too for lighter stuff. Mine couldn't pop out, perfect fit and the nut wont fit in the track sideways
Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
XC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
XC4ME's Tacoma Gallery
I know you've heard it before and this has nothing to do with the thread but your truck set up kicks azz!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
got_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nice
got_titan's Tacoma Gallery
if you decide to make a few to ship i would be interested in four of them....if the price was reasonable?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
This is all you need

Solid Eye Bolt 3/8"x16
Spring Nut/Strut Nut/Unistrut Nut 3/8"x16
3/8" Fender Washer
3/8"x16 Hex Nut
3/8" Lock Washer
Take the Strut Nut, if you have a spring nut, cut the spring off
Cut or grind down the center of the grooves on the nut
I use a band saw but a grinder or metal cutting wheel for grinder or dremel would work too

The easiest method for working on the nut that I had was putting it on the end of a 1 foot piece of 3/8"x16 threaded rod with a hex nut to keep it from spinning
Before:

After:

"Final" Just add paint

Just a note, if you decide to work with 1/4"x20 hardware, I wouldn't recommend it for heavy load tiedowns but mounting bike mounts or lighter stuff would be fine, they are thinner. I'd cut off HALF or 2/3 of the spring, not all of it.
1/4"x20 spring nut on the left 3/8"x16 spring nut on the right
Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
nice writeup
Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #17
sold 8 for $50 to a guy with a Tundra
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
sold 8 for $50 to a guy with a Tundra
holy crap!!! that is all im going to say!