LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Passenger headlight burnout

Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Lake Murray Man is on a distinguished road
Lake Murray Man's Tacoma Gallery
Passenger headlight burnout

Help .... I'm on my 4th right side (passenger) headlamp in 40K miles. Two were factory. One was Sylvania. The current is HELA, now it's burned out. I am NOT touching the bulbs during install. The last one I cleaned with alcohol before installing. The new ones always work when first plugged in. I have never had one that worked "sometimes" as in a loose connection. They are all simply burned out on the low beam element. I have never noticed a dim bulb as if low voltage. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm spending almost as much on headlights as gas.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
do you always run your hedlights or just at night?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Lake Murray Man is on a distinguished road
Lake Murray Man's Tacoma Gallery
About half and half. This time of year mostly off. I thought about that with the last change and I have tried to keep them off as much as possible. Even if that's it it seems odd that it's always the same bulb.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Mine seem to blow out a lot, too. I've replaced each side about 4 times in 2.5 years. Just replaced one last weekend, actually. Been using Sylvania Xtravision the last couple times.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Geez. My HIDs have lasted 3 years.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
My taco blows through bulbs. I've had it for 7 months, and I have replaced both headlights and both license plate lights already.

On the headlights, both high beams burned out at once.

Is there any sort of electrical problem that could cause something like the OP and I are describing? I'm slightly concerned.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
That is wierd, I have had my headlights since november of 2008 and they are the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's. The only reason I changed to them was one of my fog lights burned out so I changed the headlights and fogs to them on my truck and the wife's car. Have you done any wiring on your truck, modded anything in or around the headlight area?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a loose ground somewhere.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
WILLIAM ROBERT will become famous soon enoughWILLIAM ROBERT will become famous soon enough
Army: Mechanic
WILLIAM ROBERT's Tacoma Gallery
I had a big stereo in my tercel years ago, and went through bulbs like crazy. The stereo was drawing too much power, the alternator couldn't keep up and the headlights were pulsing with the beat. I turned down the volume and the lights lasted a lot longer. Normally lights like a steady, constant power supply, so any loose wires or bad grounds will cause the lights to flicker, shortening the lifespan. Just think of that light in your house that is turned on 20 times a day, it doesn't last nearly as long as one that is left on for a few hours.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
any moisture in the headlamp area

look real close at the plugs, have they been getting hot and maybe a bit of insulation is discolored.
That's what I was thinking. I bet the plug needs to be replaced. A defective plug can make bulbs burn out faster.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Murray Man View Post
Help .... I'm on my 4th right side (passenger) headlamp in 40K miles. Two were factory. One was Sylvania. The current is HELA, now it's burned out. I am NOT touching the bulbs during install. The last one I cleaned with alcohol before installing. The new ones always work when first plugged in. I have never had one that worked "sometimes" as in a loose connection. They are all simply burned out on the low beam element. I have never noticed a dim bulb as if low voltage. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm spending almost as much on headlights as gas.
Get yourself some of those throw away surgical gloves & PUT THEM ON BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING !! & LEAVE THEM ON UNTIL YOU ARE DONE !! & I promise you, those issues will go away !!.....
Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
bdwsrjoe's Tacoma Gallery
I switched to HID's after replacing 1 stock headlight & 2 silverstar ultras. I havent had a problem since.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
my stock ones lasted 3 yrs
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Dredging up an old one here but I'm having to buy a lot of bulbs for my 2007. It's always the low beam and almost always the passenger side. The truck is all stock wiring with zero electrical mods. I do wear disposable latex gloves when doing this, from opening the package to closing the hood. The lamp pods have zero leakage/moisture issues. They work for a couple months and then blow the low beam. Getting to be suck a pain that I now keep TWO spares in the glove box. I've tried Sylvania, OSRAM and am now trying Wagner. There were no issues for the first three years of ownership too.

I've checked the connections to be sure there is no corrosion and used the dielectric grease to seal the deal on the terminals. The wiring is all tight. The fuse is secure and I cannot find any other ground wires to loosen and tighten to insure good contact.

I fricken HATE electrical problems! Thanks for any input you all might have.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
double09 is on a distinguished road
double09's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the same problem i'm on my third set of headlights i started running silver stars after the stock ones blew.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just checked resistance. Again it is the driver side low beam that is burning out. Checked the pigtail on the driver side and resitance from ground to low beam is 0.7 ohms, hi beam is 0.5 ohms. When I check all three on the pig tail to the body ground, they all show a resistance of 670 ohms. So I went to the passenger side to check that pigtail, resistance from ground to low beam is 150 ohms. This is considerably higher than the rest, yet the low beam on that side still works. Resistance from ground to hi beam was the same as the driver side at 0.5 ohms. Did the same test from pig tail to body ground, the hi beam and ground to the body ground was 670 ohms, but the low beam was 850 ohms. I am not an electrical trouble shooting guy at all, but I do know that this isn't right. Any advice or just a finger in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks.