1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger headlight burnout

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lake Murray Man, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Lake Murray Man

Lake Murray Man [OP] Member

Member:
    Chapin, SC
    Vehicle:
    Long Bed 4X4
    K&N Hella Head Lights Pioneer Stero soon - Rear TSB
    Help .... I'm on my 4th right side (passenger) headlamp in 40K miles. Two were factory. One was Sylvania. The current is HELA, now it's burned out. I am NOT touching the bulbs during install. The last one I cleaned with alcohol before installing. The new ones always work when first plugged in. I have never had one that worked "sometimes" as in a loose connection. They are all simply burned out on the low beam element. I have never noticed a dim bulb as if low voltage. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm spending almost as much on headlights as gas.:confused:

2. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    do you always run your hedlights or just at night?

3. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Lake Murray Man

Lake Murray Man [OP] Member

Member:
    Chapin, SC
    Vehicle:
    Long Bed 4X4
    K&N Hella Head Lights Pioneer Stero soon - Rear TSB
    About half and half. This time of year mostly off. I thought about that with the last change and I have tried to keep them off as much as possible. Even if that's it it seems odd that it's always the same bulb.

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Mine seem to blow out a lot, too. I've replaced each side about 4 times in 2.5 years. Just replaced one last weekend, actually. Been using Sylvania Xtravision the last couple times.

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Geez. My HIDs have lasted 3 years.

6. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My taco blows through bulbs. I've had it for 7 months, and I have replaced both headlights and both license plate lights already.

On the headlights, both high beams burned out at once.

Is there any sort of electrical problem that could cause something like the OP and I are describing? I'm slightly concerned.

7. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    That is wierd, I have had my headlights since november of 2008 and they are the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's. The only reason I changed to them was one of my fog lights burned out so I changed the headlights and fogs to them on my truck and the wife's car. Have you done any wiring on your truck, modded anything in or around the headlight area?

8. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    Sounds like a loose ground somewhere.

9. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    WILLIAM ROBERT

WILLIAM ROBERT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    it's blue
    I had a big stereo in my tercel years ago, and went through bulbs like crazy. The stereo was drawing too much power, the alternator couldn't keep up and the headlights were pulsing with the beat. I turned down the volume and the lights lasted a lot longer. Normally lights like a steady, constant power supply, so any loose wires or bad grounds will cause the lights to flicker, shortening the lifespan. Just think of that light in your house that is turned on 20 times a day, it doesn't last nearly as long as one that is left on for a few hours.

10. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    That's what I was thinking. I bet the plug needs to be replaced. A defective plug can make bulbs burn out faster.

11. Apr 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Get yourself some of those throw away surgical gloves & PUT THEM ON BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING !! & LEAVE THEM ON UNTIL YOU ARE DONE !! & I promise you, those issues will go away !!.....:D:D

12. Apr 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    I switched to HID's after replacing 1 stock headlight & 2 silverstar ultras. I havent had a problem since.

13. Apr 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    my stock ones lasted 3 yrs

14. Oct 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    Dredging up an old one here but I'm having to buy a lot of bulbs for my 2007. It's always the low beam and almost always the passenger side. The truck is all stock wiring with zero electrical mods. I do wear disposable latex gloves when doing this, from opening the package to closing the hood. The lamp pods have zero leakage/moisture issues. They work for a couple months and then blow the low beam. Getting to be suck a pain that I now keep TWO spares in the glove box. I've tried Sylvania, OSRAM and am now trying Wagner. There were no issues for the first three years of ownership too.

I've checked the connections to be sure there is no corrosion and used the dielectric grease to seal the deal on the terminals. The wiring is all tight. The fuse is secure and I cannot find any other ground wires to loosen and tighten to insure good contact.

I fricken HATE electrical problems! Thanks for any input you all might have.

15. May 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Same issue with driver side low beam burning out. Any one find out what their problem is?

16. May 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    double09

double09 Member

Member:
    Jacksonville IL
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab LB TRD Package
    Side windows tinted, 8 in windshield strip, remote start, head lights
    I've had the same problem i'm on my third set of headlights i started running silver stars after the stock ones blew.

17. May 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Just checked resistance. Again it is the driver side low beam that is burning out. Checked the pigtail on the driver side and resitance from ground to low beam is 0.7 ohms, hi beam is 0.5 ohms. When I check all three on the pig tail to the body ground, they all show a resistance of 670 ohms. So I went to the passenger side to check that pigtail, resistance from ground to low beam is 150 ohms. This is considerably higher than the rest, yet the low beam on that side still works. Resistance from ground to hi beam was the same as the driver side at 0.5 ohms. Did the same test from pig tail to body ground, the hi beam and ground to the body ground was 670 ohms, but the low beam was 850 ohms. I am not an electrical trouble shooting guy at all, but I do know that this isn't right. Any advice or just a finger in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top