Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Catch Can Install.Need Help.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom3030 View Post
Reason why I brought the thread back from the dead was because I saw on another forum a CRV owner was trying to get the best mpg he could. He added a DIY catch can using an air compressor air/moisture separator. I had a buddy do the same on his SCed new model mustang and he says it definitely helps.

Cheap mod but if it helps keep a clean engine by cleaning the air recirculated back into the intake and potentially help gas mileage...why not. To each there own. Hope some tacoma owners with catch cans can chime in.
It might help MPG a but by keeping gunk out of the intake track. Also you wouldn't have to clean it so often. That reminds me, I should crack my intake open and take a look.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
since these are so cheap why wouldnt TOYOTA or every other car manufacture use them if they are so good for your engine??
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #23
Phenom3030 is on a distinguished road

Army: EOD
Name: Jon
Phenom3030's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDKenE View Post
since these are so cheap why wouldnt TOYOTA or every other car manufacture use them if they are so good for your engine??
No clue... And they aren't necessarily all cheap. Some name brand ones go for hundreds. Might be build quality, reputation, engineering, who knows? Not everything is created equal I guess. But for something like this, I'd be willing to try out a cheap one.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDKenE View Post
Something else for the owner to forget to do. Some owners have enough trouble putting gas in their vehicles when it is needed.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, more than a few titan owners have had these when i was a active member on titantalk. if anyone running these can post a pic of how much oil these actually catch on your tacoma post pics, i know alot of members will be surprised what these things do. i am curious also.............post pics when you get a chance.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #26
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for bringing my thread back from the dead..I empty out mine every 6000 miles with my oil change. It's hard to tell how much it collects but I do pour out quit a bit. Works well satisfied with it. BTW had one of those air compressor water separator and worked great on my 350 z.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
Phenom3030 is on a distinguished road

Army: EOD
Name: Jon
Phenom3030's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_magic2010 View Post
Thanks for bringing my thread back from the dead..I empty out mine every 6000 miles with my oil change. It's hard to tell how much it collects but I do pour out quit a bit. Works well satisfied with it. BTW had one of those air compressor water separator and worked great on my 350 z.

Awesome! Thanks for the input OP! This is on my list of things to do now.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #29
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Something else for the owner to forget to do. Some owners have enough trouble putting gas in their vehicles when it is needed.
I'd guess this is the reason they're not put on the from the factory...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Also it ia Toyota we are talking about. If they can't make a dipstick that works they will probably fail at making a catch can too.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
A lot of things Toyota has proved to be sub-par on lately. From oil pans, to brakes, auto-up/down window buttons, transmission, sloppy spider gear in front diff. Catch cans however, that is an industry failure. Shame.
Door auto locks, HVAC blower, leaf springs, clockspring cable, brake pedals...
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33407

That is a good read. Lots learned there. Including how I came to learn the differences in how the air flows through a PCV system that is turbo's/centrifically supercharged versusN/Aand Rootssupercharged. < Changes where the air is being pulled and pushed from, in reference to the throttle body, thus affecting the flow of the PCV system.

Also, has the potential to pressurize the crank case, which is bad, if setup improperly.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #34
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33407

That is a good read. Lots learned there. Including how I came to learn the differences in how the air flows through a PCV system that is turbo's/centrifically supercharged versusN/Aand Rootssupercharged. < Changes where the air is being pulled and pushed from, in reference to the throttle body, thus affecting the flow of the PCV system.

Also, has the potential to pressurize the crank case, which is bad, if setup improperly.

bad link