Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinions on Lift

Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on Lift

I have lifted the front 2" and want to raise the back 1-2"..... is it better to go with a block, or add a leaf? What is a smoother ride? And I have heard that the blocks wear your leafs out.... input?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
I have lifted the front 2" and want to raise the back 1-2"..... is it better to go with a block, or add a leaf? What is a smoother ride? And I have heard that the blocks wear your leafs out.... input?
Get a 1.5in AAL
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
blocks are for bro's
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
1" block. 2" AAL
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

..... is one more of a smooth ride than another.....
Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
..... is one more of a smooth ride than another.....
In the past I've always done AALs for lift, they will make the ride a bit more ridgid, some brands more than others; they absolutely won't make it softer. They will increase your load capicity if that is a concern.

On my Taco is the first block I've used (1") and there is zero change in the ride quality from it. As far as "wearing out springs" that's just not a concern with a 2" block or less. You'll see some of those full sized trucks with 4" - 6"+ blocks, those do wear springs because the added increase in leverage from the axle to the springs. With the smaller blocks this 'added leverage' is insignificant.

Whether you go AAL or block put in a 3* shim while you're in there.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
ya absolutely nothing wrong with a 2'' block or less. especially if you get one tapered for a better DS angle
Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Sweet! Thats what I was wondering guys, thanks a lot I think I am going to just add a 1.5" to the back, just want it to be level. Thanks a again!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
MyMistress is on a distinguished road

MyMistress's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoTaco10 View Post
ya absolutely nothing wrong with a 2'' block or less. especially if you get one tapered for a better DS angle
Sorry, noob here.........

Tapered for a betterr DS angle? Can u briefly elaborate? I have the TSB in the rear with 2.5 spacers in the front (till I can get the Billies). I would like to have a bit of a rake back, do you thin 2" spacer would be ok?

I hope I let this thread dye down before I crapped all over it...

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMistress View Post
Sorry, noob here.........

Tapered for a betterr DS angle? Can u briefly elaborate? I have the TSB in the rear with 2.5 spacers in the front (till I can get the Billies). I would like to have a bit of a rake back, do you thin 2" spacer would be ok?

I hope I let this thread dye down before I crapped all over it...

Thanks
What he means is that the block has the corrected angle already designed into the shape of the block (the bottom side of the block is not straight flat). Any time you do a supension lift or drop for that matter, you ruin the angle of the drive shaft in relation to the differentional. This causes a bad vibration while driving and puts a strain on your universal joints. If the block is not designed with the correct angle, you will have to put a shim (a little aluminum wedge) between the axle and block to correct the angel and eliminate vibration, also known as driveline vibration. I know ReadyLift's lift blocks already have the correct angle designed into their lift blocks. Even if you don't have the correct angle already built into the lift block , the shims used to correct the angel are cheap. Just make sure to ask or research your lift kit manufactuer to see if you need the shims or not. The manufacturer should be able to tell you how many degrees the shim should be. In this case a previous post mentioned using a 3 degree shim. Even though you may buy the lift as part of a kit, they sometimes don't included the shims if needed. I learned all this info the hard way when I put in a drop kit on a past truck.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_magic2010 View Post
Any time you do a supension lift or drop for that matter, you ruin the angle of the drive shaft in relation to the differentional. This causes a bad vibration while driving and puts a strain on your universal joints. If the block is not designed with the correct angle, you will have to put a shim (a little aluminum wedge) between the axle and block to correct the angel and eliminate vibration, also known as driveline vibration.
Thanks majic... Does this hold true for any size lift? Lets say TSB plus a 1" AAL....?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks majic... Does this hold true for any size lift? Lets say TSB plus a 1" AAL....?

yes this is true for anything different than stock. Just remember the higher you go, the more work you have to do to compensate for all the new geometry.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoTaco10 View Post
yes this is true for anything different than stock. Just remember the higher you go, the more work you have to do to compensate for all the new geometry.
How would I compensate for the TSB AAL + a 1" AAL?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
^^If you have the tsb springs then you might want to get a 1" block. Adding an aal to that is gonna make it stiffer than it already is.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
YotaConvert is on a distinguished road
YotaConvert's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys

I have a 2010 so the tsb was done at the factory correct? So if this correct then if I put in blocks the ride should stay the same?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
^^If you have the tsb springs then you might want to get a 1" block. Adding an aal to that is gonna make it stiffer than it already is.

Good point, thanks. I dint want to put any stress on anything thus the reason I was going with AAL. 1" may not be enought to worry about.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How would I compensate for the TSB AAL + a 1" AAL?
Just get the total lift in inches, contact a company that sells the shims and let them know what your lift is (in inches) and what you used for the lift (ie blocks, leaf springs, etc..). They should be able to get you the right shims. Try this company http://www.airbagit.com/Lifted-Truck...ion-s/1687.htm This is where i ordered my lowered suspension when I had my first truck. Yet they didn't include the shims. I was mad, but they sent me the shims when I called to complain about vibration. They also manufacture lifts. Now I've used their parts before with no problem. When my first truck was wrecked (totaled) I was able to salvage the lowering control arms and use them on my new truck. If you can't find the shims anywhere try that link above, I suggest you call them also. It may be that the shims are not listed..Hope this helps.