1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dynomax

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MachoTaco10, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    does anyone have a sound clip of a dynomax super turbo? because i have been looking into this one for a while and couldnt find one. if it sounds like a fart cannon on a civic i wont buy it!

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
  3. Apr 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport

ya sounds great in your offroading vids

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    I agree...that ultra flo sounds great in that clip, but I think it's in an ideal situation to have it sound at it's best (low rpm and heavy load). I have only heard one video of a super turbo, but it was too quiet of a clip to really hear it too well.

Ideally, you have someone recording while you rev it at a stand still at different throttle inputs/aggressiveness, and then they get you driving away at normal and/or fast speed. I think that along with an in-the-cab road test with varrying throttle inputs and speed (windows up and windows down) is the ultimate in knowing how an exhaust sounds (wink, wink ;)).

I've done months of research, and never pulled the trigger on anything b/c there's nothing out there that really impressed me. Right now my order of preference are:

1) Dynomax Super Turbo (b/c it's the only exhaust that gets you any hp (8hp per Chris 4x4), and b/c it sounds good per all those that have heard it/own it, and b/c even in that 'quiet' clip it sounded good. It's also only $43 shipped from Amazon!)

2) Dynomax Ultra Flo (the only reason it's not # 1 is b/c I don't think it will give you any hp (I think the flow rate and backpressure of the Super Turbo is ideal for our engine, and it's probably the only muffler that will increase our power (IMO)), and one guy said he had a drone at 45mph w/ one. However, I think that same guy switched to a Super Turbo and had the same drone. He DID say that the super turbo sounded better for our trucks - another reason it's still #1 for me. I do like the idea of having more sound though, so the Ultra Flo is a close 2nd - I will give up the hp gain for better sound).

3) Aero 2525xl (w/ the resonator built in)

4) Aero 2525 (can add an AR25 resonator prn)

Anyway...keep the audio clips coming...I can't stand my stock exhaust

5. Apr 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I would assume it also has to do with the size you get. I have one of the bigger ones, I'll try and get a sound clip today after I wash my truck up.

6. Apr 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    4milestogo

4milestogo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North East, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC SR5
    885's, 5100's, Toytec top plate spacers, LR UCA's & 2"' AAL, black two tone, debaged, BHLM, smoked taillights, smoked lamin-x fogs, Grillcraft upper & lower, afe CAI and Dynomax SS cat-back.
  7. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
  8. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  9. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    That sounds really good mgrande...I think I'm definitely b/w the ultra flo and the Super turbo, unless I hear a good 2525xl or resonated 2525 video. OR, if I hear another good Wicked Flow muffler video...one guy is installing his, and I'm waiting to hear what it sounds like before buying anything. I have a ? for you...when you're cruising is there any 'drone' or noticeable exhaust tone at any given speed/rpm?

10. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    I would say that other than when I am accelerating, the only other time I can really hear it is when I'm on the highway (I stay around 80-85). I listen to the radio, so I really can't hear it until I pass someone and the tranny downshifts.

Products Discussed in

To Top