Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission shudder

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
Chadillac is on a distinguished road
Chadillac's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is different from the driveline vibrations. For me it only occurs only when in 5th gear and very low rpms. When I leave it in 4th or lift off the throttle there are no vibrations. If it was a driveline issue, I don't think it would matter what gear I'm in. It feels like the engine is lugging.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #42
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
^ yea, thats not the same vibe as most people have.. def have something else going on..
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #43
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
I think this is different from the driveline vibrations. For me it only occurs only when in 5th gear and very low rpms. When I leave it in 4th or lift off the throttle there are no vibrations. If it was a driveline issue, I don't think it would matter what gear I'm in. It feels like the engine is lugging.
I get that , pretty certain it's the torque converter
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
BM07TacoTRDsport is on a distinguished road
Name: B-ry
BM07TacoTRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizarraga View Post
I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and mine shudders only on D at approx 35-40 mph. If I let go of accelerator the shudder stops. My truck has 112000 miles any advice will be appreciated. Thx
Update: So my shuddering got so bad that I could not drive around town with the tranny in OD. When I did drive around in OD a awful studdering/shuddering would happen around 30-55 and again 40-45 range. I had to drive with it in 4th and only shift to OD after I got on the highway, which worked great and completely eliminated the shudder but also very annoying. The 1st things I tried were 1) turning over the CSB (didn't work), 2) checking all U-joints and replaced one that I'm pretty sure wasn't even bad - didn't work, and 3) I did a drain and fill on the tranny and when I unbolted the over flow bolt at least a quart of fluid or more drained out. I bought the truck used about 4 months ago so at some point before me I guess it was over filled. I then unbolted the drain plug and refill plug, drained the tranny the rest of the way, and only had to add about 1.75 qts until tranny fluid rushed out of the overflow hole, which is about half of what came out. My shuddering has not happened at all in the last 3 days (300 miles). So keeping my fingers crossed this works and if so I'm planning to make the drain and fill part of my regular maintenance routine.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #45
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM07TacoTRDsport View Post
I think mine is doing the exact same thing. I have an 07 with about 120k. Mine seems to do it more often when I'm going real easy on the throttle combined with a little resistance such as turning slightly or a slight incline. It also seems to be getting worse and I don't have time to take it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
My 2012 does the exact same thing, pretty much since it was brand new. The shudder starts right around 37 mph when it shifts into 5th and goes all the way to around 45 mph. It's worse when going up a slight incline.

The only solution I've found is to keep it in 4 and then shift into D after 45 mph. I knew I should have gotten the 6-speed...
Quote:
i have all of this at about 41mph
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Once again as these posts continue and continue . If the issue is transmission related , use Lubegaurd to fix the issue .
I would not waste your time or my time posting this if it didnt work !
Find out where you can get it and drop some into your transmission . If the issue is transmission related , this will fix the shudder .
If this is another drive line issue , Lubeguard wont help
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBE...ATF+Protectant
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #47
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
I just started getting this issue lately....i am a 09 with this exact thing. I am lifted 6" and on 37's and have been for a while and now suddenly this comes out of no where.

This is exactly what you guys are describing. around 45ish with light partial throttle its like my truck is lugging and shuddering bad, but if i let off and then apply throttle again it clears up.

I can get it to do it often.

What has been the fix????
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #48
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
I just started getting this issue lately....i am a 09 with this exact thing. I am lifted 6" and on 37's and have been for a while and now suddenly this comes out of no where.

This is exactly what you guys are describing. around 45ish with light partial throttle its like my truck is lugging and shuddering bad, but if i let off and then apply throttle again it clears up.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #49
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
NINTH PLACE
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
I believe we share the same tranny as the FJ Cruiser. The FJ tranny has a known flaw that has a shudder. My wifes FJ got the shudder and I can tell you what I felt was very much as you guys are describing here. We took it to the dealer who could not find a problem. We then took the tech on a drive and then it did it in spades. He was shocked that it wasnt found on the initial inspection. Anyways it was diagnosed as a bad tranny and it had to be replaced at the tune of 7 grand! (Geico insurance rocks )

A check of the FJ forums reveals this is a common thing so it scares me that our trannys are the same.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #51
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i pulled my fuses last night to reset everything. Also unbolted and reseated my carrier bearing. Neither had any help on the issue. Still did it this morning.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #52

Also, for anyone that has this same issue, next time it does it can you look at your Tach and see at what point your RPM is? Mine just kinda sits in the same RPM with the throttle barely applied and will shudder if I keep that constant speed / RPM. If i mash the gas hard or let off, the shudder goes away.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #53
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7taco View Post
Your trans. issues is not because of a faulty torque converter lock-up solenoid the RPM and road speed data would not allow the computer to lock-up the torque converter. The dealers that I have dealt with(more than 15 dealerships and 2 trans shops) have no knowledge of the internals I have opened up my trans. more than once and the truth is it is the same trans. that has been used since around 1989 the only changes besides ratios is: new valve body to accommodate solenoids and new pressures and check ball location(improvements to oil flow), and electronic integration(controlling shifts and pressures). The main concept of the trans. has not changed since 89.

Check the fluid level drive around for roughly 15-20min.(stop and go increases heat much faster) then place your parking brake on and cycle the trans. through the gears, then place the selector in park. Pull the dip stick and check the level if you are below both "HOT" marks the blame goes to the lack of fluids and the trans. will need rebuilding and all lines and cooler(radiator trans lines) flushed.

If the fluid checks out then do the torque converter stall test. Place your parking brake on and place the gear selector in "L". While holding the brake down floor the truck. The RPM of stall should be between 1900-1980RPM it is not uncommon to see the RPM's spike up near 2000 for a split second.

NOTE: DO THIS 3 TIMES AND TAKE YOUR AVERAGE.
DO NOT REV THE ENGINE FOR OVER 4 SECONDS WHILE DOING THIS AS IT WILL GENERATE A LOT OF HEAT FROM THE TORQUE CONVERTER.

My educated guess is the converter is perfectly fine but some sort of electrical MALFUNCTION is causing the shudder.

Your Trans is a A340E or the ASIN Warner code is AW 30-40LS. Same trans as mine.
A stall test will not check the lockup clutch.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
A stall test will not check the lockup clutch.

Also most of our trans do not have a dipstick to check the trans fluid level, but only that plug with the hex on it.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #55

I just got sent a 7 page PDF of
T-SB-0096-09

It mentions alot of what sounds like this issue, but it states it is for 2WD Tacomas. Anyone know if this same TSB applies to 4WD?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #56

Just called my local dealer I got the truck from to mention another recall I had got in the mail that I never got done about the gas pedal. Of course, a dang woman answered. Anyone she had to go check with one of the service writers or something and came back and said yeah they could do that one, but also said there is another recall on my truck for a Wheel Sensor or something. I went ahead and scheduled this stuff and Im just gonna print out the TSB and take it with me when I go and be like fix this junk too!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
Chadillac is on a distinguished road
Chadillac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm not sure what the fix is, but I plan on taking my truck in soon. My truck only has around 15k miles and it's progressively getting worse.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #58

Quote:
I'm not sure what the fix is, but I plan on taking my truck in soon. My truck only has around 15k miles and it's progressively getting worse.

Id like to take mine in too, but I doubt they will do anything for me since I am modified. Its annoying though and not normal at all.

Mine just started at 66,000 miles. Never had this issue before.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #59

So you guys think if I were to buy a new torque convertor and install it, that my problem would resolve? I am tempted because this is getting annoying as hell.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #60
Fedz is on a distinguished road
Name: Fady
Fedz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you guys think if I were to buy a new torque convertor and install it, that my problem would resolve? I am tempted because this is getting annoying as hell.
Before wasting your money , make sure it is not a drive line issue. I am picking up a new drive line today 2 piece and a double cardan after the carrier bearing. I will install and report back.