LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission shudder

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #61
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Before wasting your money , make sure it is not a drive line issue. I am picking up a new drive line today 2 piece and a double cardan after the carrier bearing. I will install and report back.

99.5% sure its not a drive line issue.

Its def RPM and gear related. You can put the vehicle out of OD shift mode and in 4 or something and the issue does not happen.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #62
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified internet mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Hooking up a scanner and going for a drive is going to tell the technician what your truck is doing .
With a quality scanner , you can command upshifts and downshifts while driving the vehicle . Clutch volume index and slip rates can be viewed while driving . You can command the torque converter to lock and unlock , you can check solenoids and force motors inside the transmission .
Some shops offer a free test drive using a scanner .
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #63
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
99.5% sure its not a drive line issue.

Its def RPM and gear related. You can put the vehicle out of OD shift mode and in 4 or something and the issue does not happen.
this.....truth
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #64
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I just did a full trans flush at home. Issue is still there. I'm not sure what to think now.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #65
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I just did a full trans flush at home. Issue is still there. I'm not sure what to think now.
Whew
Now i dont have to waste my time going that route
I let mine do it for like 10 mins today hoping it would implode
Haha
Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #66

So you are having the issue also? You can try the flush. Never know it may help yours but in the few mins up the road I drove mine tonight. I did not fix it yet. Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #67
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you are having the issue also? You can try the flush. Never know it may help yours but in the few mins up the road I drove mine tonight. I did not fix it yet. Thanks
Flush didn't change it for me either
Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #68
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Flush didn't change it for me either
You got the Same problem Oz ? Damn this is making me nervous ? Ill have to pay closer attention to how mine shifts on the way to work tomorrow .

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #69
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
You got the Same problem Oz ? Damn this is making me nervous ? Ill have to pay closer attention to how mine shifts on the way to work tomorrow .

Thanks,

Brett

I have a rythmic vibration at 40-44 mph that has been there since stock , before and after the lift , 3 different tire types and sizes , and 2 sets of OEM Sport alloys

I am almost certain it is related to torque convertor lock up
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #70

So u not taken it to dealer??
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #71

I havent taken mine yet, but only because I am sure to get shut down. I bought the truck used in 2010. It was an 09...but since then I have been through a 3" lift and 33's and then 6" with 35s and 37's. I looked and it looks like powertrain is only up to 60k, and mine is 6,000 miles over that. I dont remember if I got any extended warranty when I purchased it. I looked through my papers but couldnt find anything. I like how this waited until right after the warranty passes 60k. Now what to do?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #72

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So u not taken it to dealer??
Yes

" normal characteristic " of the truck

plus I am lifted now , so they aren't looking to help too much
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #73

Quote:
Yes

" normal characteristic " of the truck

plus I am lifted now , so they aren't looking to help too much
Hopefully you smacked them around a little when they said its normal.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #74

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hopefully you smacked them around a little when they said its normal.
Not too suprised really , I didn't start complaining about it until after the lift was on , before that I thought it was my MT's being a bit out of balance

Now that the truck has been modified they aren't going to go too far out of their way to figure it out for me for free
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #75
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not too suprised really , I didn't start complaining about it until after the lift was on , before that I thought it was my MT's being a bit out of balance

Now that the truck has been modified they aren't going to go too far out of their way to figure it out for me for free
X2, I bought mine used lifted so I guess I don't know any different on the way the truck feels. I paid more attention this morning on the way to work and it seems fine too me? Idk.
I have a slight shudder taking off but that's a different issue and is normal for the tacomas.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #76

You will know this one when it happens.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #77

Update....My shudder is pretty much gone it seems after the flush and fill with maxlife.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #78
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a rythmic vibration at 40-44 mph that has been there since stock , before and after the lift , 3 different tire types and sizes , and 2 sets of OEM Sport alloys

I am almost certain it is related to torque convertor lock up

Mine was similar but happened at around 55 but would go away soon after. Had the full flush done and it is pretty much gone now...
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #79
bbsjackson is on a distinguished road
bbsjackson's Tacoma Gallery
Having the exact same 40-45 shudder on my stock '12 DC TRD while only in 5th gear (auto) the goes away when rolling out of the throttle. Glad I found this forum, now I don't feel like I am the only crazy one.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #80
Ricaraka is on a distinguished road
Ricaraka's Tacoma Gallery
Shuddering = Annoying & Frustrating

Hey all! So I'm new here, was referred to this site as I had questions about my tranny. I've been reading & reading & stumbled upon this post....
So yeah, I'm an unlucky member as well of this "normal"? shuddering problem with Tacomas. Ive got an 06 automatic PreRunner, bought it brand new. It's got a little over 125k on it. It's been doing this shaking slipping thing for about 8 months. I feel it in the pedal, the floor & steering wheel. It does it when I accelerate gradually or somewhat slowly (usually in light traffic or crowded city streets) and really only between about 30 - 40. Really friggin annoying. So I always try to just quickly accelerate to avoid this damn shuddering thing. Dealership told me its the trans, and that nothing I could really do to fix it, just replace it. I was told its not really an issue though. Wtf?! They suggested driving in 4th til I'm over 40 then throw it back to D. Well, that's quite ridiculous. Anyway, I took it to a transmission shop to look at it & see what they think. Owner said it is tranny & explained something about the clutch plates & pressure (did I mention I'm a girl & don't know anything about cars?! or what torque converters & solenoids are!) and that it should be rebuilt. He estimated me at $1800 for a complete rebuild. He said itd be done 2 - 3 days. Called 2 other local trans shops & one quoted me $1500 - $2k and the other $2500. So, what do you all think? Thanks for any thoughts & suggestions!