1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sad day, the taco is no longer mine

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryanf, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I received a GMC Sierra three weeks ago as a work truck - the Tacoma hasn't moved out of the driveway since. As great a little truck as they are, they are just that - a small truck with a full size payment.

If the shoe fits, buy it. I wouldn't worry too much about what others think...

2. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    I got my Tacoma and I use it for daily driving, I also have a F-250 diesel for work. I got 50K on it with no problems so far. Ford does make good commercial vehicles. I must give them that much. Good luck with your new truck!!!!

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    I am not gonna lie I use the shit outta my Tacoma, but I would have kept my Taco and bought a used chevy diesel if i need that kinda power

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Yeah...moving to a real truck deserves grief.
    In re OP...good job getting a real truck and I'm sure you'll get better service out of it than the Toy....Fanboys on here don't get it.
    I applaud your decision.

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Give me that 7.9 liter they had back in 94 and then we'll talk. :D

6. Apr 22, 2010 at 2:00 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I just came out out of a full size Ram with a hemi. I really wasnt using the truck for hauling heavy loads, so the Tacoma was a perfect fit for me. I already can see that I wont be able to haul much with the Taco, but Im ok with that and love 17.5 mpg instead of 9. But if I had to use for work, I would have stayed with the full size.

The F-250 is a nice truck man, good luck with it.

7. Apr 22, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:
    i am looking to do the same thing... get rid of my tacoma and get a diesel.
    i've had problems with my tacoma here and there and i'm pretty fed up with it... I defended the dam truck for 5 years. it's paid off now and i cant wait to get a diesel. My gas mileage is garbage... I get about 18mpg and thats highway. ANNOYING tapping sound that drives me nuts! Probably the fuel pump, dealer wouldnt fix it even when i was under drive train warranty... Drive line shutter... Hard starts sometimes (i live in socal it dont get cold). Brakes are garbage and yes i've bled them and no i'm not going to pay money and upgrade to SS brake lines... they should be good from the factory and not need extra $$$ thrown into the truck.

forget those that are giving you a hard time! at least you get the same gas mileage and can tow twice as much!

8. Apr 22, 2010 at 3:32 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    That poor F250 needs some bigger tires, looks kinda silly with those small things. :)

9. Apr 22, 2010 at 3:54 AM
    adktacoma

adktacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    danny
    upstate new york
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport bsp
    stock (for now)
  10. Apr 22, 2010 at 4:02 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    It's all right. Why not transfer some of your old Tacoma energy into the new one. Maybe do a write on F250 Satoshi install?

11. Apr 22, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I saw one of the salesman where I bought my Tundra driving my old Tacoma yesterday. I have to admit...I got a little choked up. I sure do miss her.

12. Apr 22, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    tacomabiker

tacomabiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Offroad
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    Been there.

I bought two rav4's at a toyota dealership. When it came around to buying my truck, I wanted a Tundra. I researched average OTD prices, and wanted in that margin. For one, the dealership didn't give me anything for "loyalty", and they kept acting like the Tundra was selling like hot cakes (I looked up sales figures and they were down -42.2%). I went to another Toyota dealership, and they acted the same way...as if the 2010 Tundra was topping the charts or something.

A v6 Tacoma would've been nice but they were only selling for $800 less than the TUNDRA! V8 > V6 was a no brainer, so I wasn't willing to part with 28k for the V6 Tacoma when I could get a Tundra for 29k.

I almost bought a Tundra that had everything I wanted...5.7 L v8, long bed, access cab, 4x4, fog lights etc... for around 29k, and I said "yes", I'll take it. I had second thoughts though, and when it came to exchanging the money (I was paying in full), I backed out. My thoughts were --> what am I going to do with a 30k vehicle that I wouldn't even use 50% of its potential (I don't need a truck for my business, I don't tow heavy loads, and I wanted a truck for more offroad, camping, bed hauling then anything else).

Luckily, I was able to find a 2005 tacoma v6 2 months later on Craigslist for a good deal. The rest is history.

Goodluck with the F250. I used to drive one when working on a farm. It was AWESOME...it made me want to buy a truck :).

I can thank that F250 for directing me to my current Tacoma.

13. Apr 22, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    tacomabiker

tacomabiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Offroad
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    +1.

My dreamy truck would of been a Tundra 5.7L, Crew Max, 8 foot bed, 4x4, fog lights, lifted etc...

Too bad they don't make them.

14. Apr 22, 2010 at 6:04 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

raynf,
    Good thread. Like the way you handled the haters.
    I just sold my almost perfect 2003 regular cab Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 because I didn't need the toting power anymore. Hope I didn't make a big mistake. Never had a single problem with the Dodge in 7 years. Got 19 to 20 MPG no matter what. That's as good as my 2002 Taco 2.4l.
    Guy I sold it to is now snow plowing with it in the Chicago winters with the stock tires. He loves it. My poor Dodge is covered with salt. Nasty stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top