Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Prerunner Purchase Questions

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Jeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant future
Name: Jeff
Jeff3004x4's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner Purchase Questions

Well first I have to say I am super excited that I am about ready to purchase myself a 2009 Prerunner Reg cab. It is certified used but FAR away from me 1111 miles to be exact. It is reassuring knowing that it is backed by a great warranty, also it has stupid low miles, and itís basically a new truck. I am trying to make the dealership bend over backwards to answer my questions but I want to make sure that I cover everything. Has anyone purchased a certified used Toyota? It sounds great, longer warranty, and the 160 point inspection, any downside to it?
I started by asking about the truck, blah blah blah ok itís a Tacoma it has everything it should and it has very low miles, itís basically new--- great! I asked if they would replace the factory Dunlopís with A/Ts to make the sale-----nope but they took a few hundred bucks off----great now the price is right! Today I asked about the 160 point inspection. I want to know what services were performed and what if anything was replaced. We will see what I get for an email.
So my reason for this post, anyone have any bad experienced purchasing a Toyota Certified used vehicle? I did a search and sure a few people had problems with dealerships replacing parts with Non-Toyota parts, I would bitch too, but I canít go and look at the truck right now Iím 1111 miles away. Anything common? Am I over looking anything? The distance game sucks I wish I could go lay under this truck and pick it apart, Iím a very picky person and a meticulous mechanic. Prerunners do not exist in my area so I have to buy a truck far away from me. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I would never buy a vehicle I haven't looked at or test driven. but that is just me.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
bookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
bookmonke's Tacoma Gallery
Its an 09, so it should still be under original factory warranty, then certified I think only make the drivetrain warranty from 60k to 100k miles, I would ask for all TSB's done, and I am assuming that you are flying down to get it, so a deposit would hold it till you look it over good and test drive, would suck to fly down to find out it just got sold, bait and switch kinda deal, good luck.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
I have a preRunner and have seen a lot of regular cabs for sale. Having had a regular cab ford at one time I think a lot of folks outgrow them quickly which is why the deal seems good. No one wants one as there's not a lot of space.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
I would never buy a vehicle I haven't looked at or test driven. but that is just me.
I bought my last car from an Ebay dealer. Put a deposit on it w/o seeing/driving it, but was able to drive before final purchase. It was a great car.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP.. are you traveling to the truck to get it, or is it going to be delivered? What recourse do you have if you decide against it for some reason?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Jeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant future
I am "Buying" the truck on Ebay. I am planning on telling them, that I am going to test drive it before I take it home. It is an Ebay / PayPal transaction which is protected. I agree it would suck to fly down and find out I do not want the truck, however if they truck is as described I feel I would be happy with it. I have test drove a new one same configuration only 4x4 and I liked it. They are small but I’m coming from a Dakota with buckets going to a Taco with a bench. What I’m unsure of is the “Certified Used” part. Is it really that “Valuable”? Meaning, right now I feel like it’s basically an extended warranty, it reassures me that I am “covered” for 7 years / 100,000 miles. I’m asking you guys that are more experienced than me, is it what it appears to be?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Woops here is the link, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...06632&viewitem=
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #9

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a pretty clean truck to me. I've never purchased a certified used Toyota before, but if that designation carries a 7yr/100k Toyota warranty, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a long as ways out of the way to get a truck!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
Agreed, its far, I can't find one in my price range anywhere in the northeast. Also FL has nice beaches.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #12

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't rust a potential problem w/ Florida cars b/c of the salt in the air?

My ebay purchase was from Florida, too, but I had no issues. Just thought I'd bring it up due to the history of issues w/ Tacomas.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I had my truck certified before I bought it, I think that its worth it and gives you that peace of mind
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Thats true, hmm. I'll have to ask the salesman for some pictures of the underside of the truck. The guy just E-mailed me back saying "call me I will tell you about everything". The guy seems weird, he lists a car on Ebay but doesn't want to type E-mails, maybe hes allright i'll call him later. Oh and they want to buy me dinner and pay for my hotel room, I guess thats nice of them.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff3004x4 View Post
Well first I have to say I am super excited that I am about ready to purchase myself a 2009 Prerunner Reg cab. It is certified used but FAR away from me 1111 miles to be exact. It is reassuring knowing that it is backed by a great warranty, also it has stupid low miles, and itís basically a new truck. I am trying to make the dealership bend over backwards to answer my questions but I want to make sure that I cover everything. Has anyone purchased a certified used Toyota? It sounds great, longer warranty, and the 160 point inspection, any downside to it?
I started by asking about the truck, blah blah blah ok itís a Tacoma it has everything it should and it has very low miles, itís basically new--- great! I asked if they would replace the factory Dunlopís with A/Ts to make the sale-----nope but they took a few hundred bucks off----great now the price is right! Today I asked about the 160 point inspection. I want to know what services were performed and what if anything was replaced. We will see what I get for an email.
So my reason for this post, anyone have any bad experienced purchasing a Toyota Certified used vehicle? I did a search and sure a few people had problems with dealerships replacing parts with Non-Toyota parts, I would bitch too, but I canít go and look at the truck right now Iím 1111 miles away. Anything common? Am I over looking anything? The distance game sucks I wish I could go lay under this truck and pick it apart, Iím a very picky person and a meticulous mechanic. Prerunners do not exist in my area so I have to buy a truck far away from me. Thanks in advance.
First of all, you are living in Connecticut and buying pre-runner
Are you nuts ?? You have parking space for winter or something.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
I think therefore I'm a Democrat
Richman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Richman21's Tacoma Gallery
I have bought 3 vehicles sight unseen, two Toyota's and a Honda. But they were brand new from a dealer without a problem whatsoever. I did buy a certified Toyota Camry, never again, unless I get a CARFAX report. The salesman, bastard, told me some old man had traded it in only to find out it was a fucking car rental vehicle. When I went to sell it later on took a nice hit because of that. My mistake not getting a CARFAX report to begin with. Advice, get a CARFAX report.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
i would be carefully with this unless they changed the 09+ tacomas this place is already lieing to you cuz the first thing i saw was 4 wheel disc brakes i know for a fact that up to 08 its disc up front drums in the back. i would really look over this truck dont take anything they saw a true unless u see it. shit my dad picked out my truck for me and they told him it had the towing package after being on this site i realized they put a hitch on it but not the rest of the package. just play it safe
Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
your name is jeff3004x4 youre buying a prerunner
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #19

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
chris4x4 drives a PreRunner, too... not always about the current truck.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
chris4x4 drives a PreRunner, too... not always about the current truck.
yeah but.....still.

dont get me wrong i love my prerunner....