Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding Steering Wheel Controls

Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Tucson is on a distinguished road
Tucson's Tacoma Gallery
Question Adding Steering Wheel Controls

I've posted in Audio/Video with no luck, Has anyone out there attempted to add steering wheel audio controls to their base truck? I've found the switches, new steering pad cover (no airbag), and instructions on how to do it, although I haven't seen anyone do it on a tacoma. . . . .

Instructions:
http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic....ght=ausio+mute

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170449730653

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180463987506

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170453845880
Attached Thumbnails
Adding Steering Wheel Controls-steeringwheelhornpadairbagcover004.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
shredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to all
Name: Jace
shredtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
is it possible and where do u get the parts
Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Tucson is on a distinguished road
Tucson's Tacoma Gallery
Update

I haven't tried it yet, still pretty scared to go cutting through my steering wheel pad. If anyone out there knows an alternative to getting around the expensive airbag and cover, then im all ears.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
It can be done, heck anything can be done but i wouldn't mess around with airbags, best to leave that part to a pro who knows their shit. Just my .02
Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
It can be done, heck anything can be done but i wouldn't mess around with airbags, best to leave that part to a pro who knows their shit. Just my .02
x2

knowing my luck the damn thing would probably go off right in my face and break my nose

Wait...that didn't sound right
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
I know the controls can be found on e-bay or at a local salvage yard. Following the first link provided in this thread's first post, I feel pretty confident disconnecting the airbag and trimming as needed. Also, the controls simply plug-and-play in the steering wheel.

The biggest hurdle is determining what wiring needs to be run between the steering wheel and the radio. Is the truck already plumbed with it? A comparison between the wiring diagrams of the base model HU and the 6-disc HU is a must, but me staring at wiring diagrams is like a pig staring at a wrist watch. Any smart engineer-types out there know this stuff?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
clintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clinton
clintonjeffries's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
x2

knowing my luck the damn thing would probably go off right in my face and break my nose

Wait...that didn't sound right
Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
mknipp has a spectacular aura aboutmknipp has a spectacular aura about
mknipp's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread, same question. Anyone ever add steering wheel controls to their truck?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknipp View Post
Old thread, same question. Anyone ever add steering wheel controls to their truck?
Not likely to be practical.

In addition to the new airbag/pad, you're also going to need a new spiral cable, and likely the harness that runs down the column from the spiral cable.

Then the issue of tying it into the head unit.