Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD vs SR5

Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Bextreme is on a distinguished road
Bextreme's Tacoma Gallery
TRD vs SR5

Thanks for all of the good advice and laughs on my previous post (2wd mistake?). The salesman called yesterday and said that the 4x4 he ordered me should hit the port in the next couple weeks. So decision time is coming up and I have pretty decided on the 4x4 swap(for those of you unaware, I bought a 2010 prerunner trd off road 2 weeks ago). I really love this prerunner trd off road(except for the sand incident). The new 4x4 will be sr5 with towing package but no trd off road. Although I would would love to get the 4x4 trd off road, the extra $ puts it just outside what I want to pay. After doing some research I believe the only difference between the sr5 and the trd is the suspension (90% of my driving on paved roads and some dirt roads) so I don't really need beefed up suspension or locker (could add this stuff later if needed); wheels and tires(TRD wheels are much cooler but rugged terrain tires are crap) I would eventually get better rims and BFG AT's; Outlet in the bed(cool feature but would never really use it); and the seats(TRD seats look much nicer) nothing some good seat covers wouldn't fix besides i want black interior and toyota doesn't offer it wtf?. Is this it? is there anything I am missing? do both have skid plate?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bextreme View Post
Thanks for all of the good advice and laughs on my previous post (2wd mistake?). The salesman called yesterday and said that the 4x4 he ordered me should hit the port in the next couple weeks. So decision time is coming up and I have pretty decided on the 4x4 swap(for those of you unaware, I bought a 2010 prerunner trd off road 2 weeks ago). I really love this prerunner trd off road(except for the sand incident). The new 4x4 will be sr5 with towing package but no trd off road. Although I would would love to get the 4x4 trd off road, the extra $ puts it just outside what I want to pay. After doing some research I believe the only difference between the sr5 and the trd is the suspension (90% of my driving on paved roads and some dirt roads) so I don't really need beefed up suspension or locker (could add this stuff later if needed); wheels and tires(TRD wheels are much cooler but rugged terrain tires are crap) I would eventually get better rims and BFG AT's; Outlet in the bed(cool feature but would never really use it); and the seats(TRD seats look much nicer) nothing some good seat covers wouldn't fix besides i want black interior and toyota doesn't offer it wtf?. Is this it? is there anything I am missing? do both have skid plate?
TRD offroad comes with a rear locker. Wish I had the TURD package.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2003RC51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
2003RC51's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I had the option to go with the TRD or the SR5 and I chose the SR5. The main reason is that I planned on changing the suspension so that part of the package would have been a waste. The other reason I went with the SR5 is because of the stronger rear diff. Once I add an ARB I will be ahead of the TRD's rear.

The only thing that I would want out of the TRD's is the seats and rear power outlet, other than that, I am set.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Although I would would love to get the 4x4 trd off road, the extra $ puts it just outside what I want to pay.
If you're not willing to pay for the TRD package, then your purchase choice has already been made.

Also, why not use the tools Toyota gave you to make an educated comparison as to the differences in the optional packages for our trucks?

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/options...value_packages
Old 04-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
trd and sr5 stuff not really needed....i already got billy 5100s and bigger better tires and better wheels.....most people are gonna change all that anyways when they buy a tacoma 4x4.....only thing that might be useful is the locker although i've never needed one when i've been offroad....i guess it depends on how serious you are...but if you are that serious you would prolly go as far as to put lockers front and rear and totally redo everything anyways
Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
trd is much more than an sr5 and worth the money in my opinion. I drove both and it was a hand down choice to get the trd option.

Suspension including shocks, and spring rates are different.

Trd has a locker

Trd has the bed outlet with power inverter

Trd has different seats including more side bolster support.

Trd has bigger and better tires than the crappy dunlop at20's

Trd has much better looking and higher quality wheels

Trd has a bigger alternator

Trd has skid plates.

and thats all i can think of...right now
Old 04-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoTaco10 View Post
trd is much more than an sr5 and worth the money in my opinion. I drove both and it was a hand down choice to get the trd option.

Trd has a locker

Trd has skid plates.

MY SR5 came with TRD offroad wheels
Old 04-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Trd has a locker Only the TRD Off Road not the TRD Sport.

Trd has the bed outlet with power inverter Somewhat convenient but way underpowered for any serious use.

Trd has different seats including more side bolster support. I wished I had the upgraded seats.

Trd has bigger and better tires than the crappy dunlop at20's Bigger but not much better. Most go aftermarket anyway.

Trd has much better looking and higher quality wheels TRD Off Road and SR5 are available with the same 16" Alloys. TRD Sport gets the 17" jobbies

Trd has a bigger alternator The Towing package comes with a larger alternator that is available on the SR5.

Trd has skid plates. SR5 has a front skid plate.

There you go.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoTaco10 View Post

Trd has a locker

Trd has skid plates.

Automatically comes with tranny and oil cooler for towing, bigger battery too, fuel tank skid plate, undercarriage skid plate, some other skid plate, I don't recall where though.

Don't forget the decals.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 sport has a power outlet in the back and if I'm not mistaken has a limited slip diff
Yet I still want a locker!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep I have the tow package, love my sr5 and will eventually be getting an arb locker
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
TRD has ATRAC in 4L.
SR5 has nuthin, open diffs.
This is huge, make no mistake.
The extra cooling parts and alternator that others have mentioned come as part of the towing package.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
originalthoughts is on a distinguished road
originalthoughts's Tacoma Gallery
If we're talking computer/electronics then In addition to ATRAC in 4L TRD OR also gets the Downhill Assist Control, Hill Start Assist Control (which if memory serves functions all the time) and an overhead console with compass/temperature gauge (far more useful than I thought it would be).
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Your right, but DAC and HSA are goofy gimmiicks, IMO
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hemi... I have used the Downhill Control, it is pretty interesting... Just take you foot off the brake (in L4), and the truck creeps down the steep grade without locking up the tires and causing a possible side skid/ rollover. Try it if you have any mountain trails or rough grades.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Banned
I have, I find it interesting. But I Offroad because I want to drive, DAC is like auto-pilot to me.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
1WhiteTaco has a spectacular aura about1WhiteTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Alex
1WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sr5 sounds cooler.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
I have, I find it interesting. But I Offroad because I want to drive, DAC is like auto-pilot to me.
Yes, it is like auto pilot... Just more fun thing to play with, off road. Just came back from the desert race today (photos posted in the Off Roading forum) and climbed one steep hill just in H4, the TRAC sure makes it easy... It would have been an L4 climb in my '05.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
eschonle is a jewel in the rougheschonle is a jewel in the rougheschonle is a jewel in the rough

Name: eric
eschonle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
MY SR5 came with TRD offroad wheels
Ditto
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
Your right, but DAC and HSA are goofy gimmiicks, IMO
why? you never think of it til you get it. then you cant see why you lived without it. prime example. trd sport seats have wings that wrap you up around the lumbar part of your back. love it. before when i had my 06 sr5 i thought they were all hood scoops and stickers.

you will find differences but if you dont care, which you (OP) have said you dont. do not buy the trd, buy the trd if you want the bells, the whistles and the car note.