Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thule xsporter racks on an '08?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Thule xsporter racks on an '08?

I just bought Thule xsporter 421 racks for an '08 with 6' bed. The racks barely sit on the edge of the bed, and the XK1 clips are almost impossible to line up and tighten in the bed rail. The adjustable rack won't quite go into the lower poisition because the bedliner slopes inward. For a $550 rack, I'm not impressed. Has anyone had better luck with the 421, or a recommendation for a different rack?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Trac Rack 25000 on an '08 Tacoma?

Has anyone used the Trac rack 25000 on a Tacoma? Comments on it?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I've been interested in racks that attach to the bed rail system since I don't want to do any drilling for the two or three times a year I need them. I'll keep watching this thread in the hopes that someone finds a good (and hopefully reasonably priced) system.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
I just bought Thule xsporter 421 racks for an '08 with 6' bed. The racks barely sit on the edge of the bed, and the XK1 clips are almost impossible to line up and tighten in the bed rail. The adjustable rack won't quite go into the lower poisition because the bedliner slopes inward. For a $550 rack, I'm not impressed. Has anyone had better luck with the 421, or a recommendation for a different rack?
i must say

Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
JJPF is on a distinguished road
JJPF's Tacoma Gallery
I put a Trac Rack on mine. I paid $400 for it. Easy install, easy to remove. Rated for 500 lbs, but a disclaimer about depends on the truck. I primarily wanted mine for hauling a canoe, light lumber. Nice solid feeling, I like it.

JJPF
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
The Trac Rac 25000 for 05-08 Tacoma's is a nice fit, very rugged rack. $470. DON'T buy the Thule Xsporter with XK1 adaptor for 2nd Gen Tacoma!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
I actually just took off the Thule 421 with the adapters. (just got a snugtop shell) The fit was fine.. You do need to play around with it a little. The fronts are no problem up and down. The rears has a little bit of rub when putting it down because I chose to have the bars act as a "lock" for the side compartments. After playing around with the crossbars, there was just the slightest bow (which a thule rep here said was within the thule tolorences..) All in all a very awesome rack. I do have the long bed so if you have short, will not be able to but the racks down due to the tire fender..
Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Glad to hear that you go the Xsporter racks to work. Having tried both racks now, the Trac Rac Pro 25000 is a far superior and more rugged rack. In addition to being easier to install, it sits squarely on the sides of the bed, unlike the xsporter. The xsporter needs a different clamp for the bed rails to make it really work.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
aljones is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
aljones's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Thule Xsporter on 2011 access cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
The Trac Rac 25000 for 05-08 Tacoma's is a nice fit, very rugged rack. $470. DON'T buy the Thule Xsporter with XK1 adaptor for 2nd Gen Tacoma!

Drat! You really don't recommend the Xsporter with the XK1?

I have a 2000 extended cab with Xsporter and just traded in for the 2011 access cab. I was hoping I could keep the Xsporter and purchase the XK1 adaptors...

Any other suggestions or do I need to sell the XSporter and get another rack.