Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

yes or no

Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
prerunner05 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
prerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Question yes or no

Found a great deal on a 2002 4x4 quad cab dodge dakota slt v8 magnum.
120xxx miles. lifted on 33's.

anyone had experiences with these trucks? Whats ther reliability ratings?
A lot of mechanical problems.

dont know if im going to.. just considering trading my 05 4cyl tacoma prerunner base with 98000 miles in on a dakota..

just want to hear opinions?

dont want no big dispute

...it could lower my monthly payments thats why im considering

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/1709951018.html

im getting it 1800 less than the asking price..
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Not going to say it is junk, but it certainly is not as reliable as your Taco, and your truck will hold its resale value better than the Dakota. For my money I would keep the Tacoma.

That being said, I have two friends that own the Dakota's and use them as work trucks. The seem to do OK, nothing to write home about though.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
NO
Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, blue book that. It shouldn't be worth more than $5k
Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
too many miles for a dodge. Maybe if it had 30k
Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
no. you may have lower payments, but im sure the cost of ownership of the taco is less in the long run. not to mention gas and resale value...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
MY GFs dad has that truck and he's starting to have problems with the computer and transmission. The engine will shut off on the freeway! Then turn back on, but its so unpredictable. Just beware of it.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Our V6 is better than the Dakota's V8.

Just something to think about. Also you'd be trading in a beautiful Indigo Ink for one of of ugliest trucks on the market...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Logically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to all

Name: Wes
Logically Insane's Tacoma Gallery
My dad used to work a Dodge dealership..
That was one of my biggest reasons of NOT going with a Dodge.. They always have problems.. I wouldn't get it.. Especially a used one... but thats me..
I never liked the Dakotas anyways though..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner05 View Post
Found a great deal on a 2002 4x4 quad cab dodge dakota slt v8 magnum.
120xxx miles. lifted on 33's.

anyone had experiences with these trucks? Whats ther reliability ratings?
A lot of mechanical problems.

dont know if im going to.. just considering trading my 05 4cyl tacoma prerunner base with 98000 miles in on a dakota..

just want to hear opinions?

dont want no big dispute

...it could lower my monthly payments thats why im considering

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/1709951018.html

im getting it 1800 less than the asking price..

I owned a 2001 Dodge Dakota. I can tell you anything you need. Plus you can go to Dakota-Durango.com their is a lot of info there. The V8 you speak of is the 4.7 which is what I had. I had the throttle body spacer and stage one jet perfomace pack with flowmaster 40 duals. Had a leveling kit as well with 32' tires. I had no major problems with my truck when I dumped at 130 k. Typical issues are steering rack's tend to go, and some ball joints now and then. But engine/tranny wise, you can get a easy 200 k. The 4.7 was designed by mercedes benz, for Dodge back in the day.

I can tell you this, you will only Avg 12 mpg with that truck. I only got 15 on HWY nursing the pedal. They do run, but they are horrible on gas. Thats why I got the Toyota.

When I traded mine, for the TACO it was about the same condition as the black one you showed, they gave me 5 grand on the trade. The rsale value in not there. You should only pay about 8 or 9 k for that truck.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i drove one for work. bone stock. that truck got the worst fuel mileage of any in our fleet. it was 4x4, and i got an average of 13mpg. it drove decent. it didnt feel super powerful, like i imagined a V8 should.

i say keep the toyota..pay it off, drive it till either you or the truck, cries "uncle". oh, save a few hundred every month for the next rig.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I will agree to stay with the Toyota. The engine is the same as that in the Grand Cherokee, which I have had for many years. Being on the Jeep Forum and listening to others there, they never complained of motor issues and lots of them have 200k+ on their trucks. Mine has 256k, however mine is the 4.0 inline six. Fucking bullet proof that motor.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
jasalvas is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jasalvas's Tacoma Gallery
No.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
prerunner05 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
prerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
So pretty much a NO GO, I have had no problems with my tacoma!
And thanks for all feedback, big help in making my decision.

It just seems with owners of those trucks 50% say no problems and the other 50% say nothing but problems.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
Had an 01 Dakota R/T and was getting 13mpg average on a very very very good day. I bought it used with over 30,000 and needed new ball joints an tie rods, I had it a year and go sick of paying for gas for it. Something never felt right with the suspenison/rack and pinion, lost the t-stat at about 40k. Me personally would say a negative, but its up to you
Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
NO
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
No.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #18
tacomabud has a spectacular aura abouttacomabud has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bud
tacomabud's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomabud
I know it's not the same, but I drove a Durango before finally getting my Tacoma. I cannot bash the truck, it pulled the family boat and did exactly what it needed to do. BUT, it did get terrible gas mileage with the 5.2L. Although it is not a 'full size' truck, it sure feels like it with all of the weight = going through brakes, bearings, gas more rapidly! So many problems with brakes sticking and not wanting to work properly from the enormousness work they had to do.
Plus, I have not heard of many Magnum V8's lasting more than 180k miles without major work. Tacoma's are known to last more than 200k with simple maintenance.

Like everyone else, I suggest keeping the Tacoma. Much better investment for gas mileage, reliability, and life existence.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
no!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've had really bad luck with the few Chrysler products I've owned so I'd have to say no. However, I know people who really like them, so who knows? With that many miles, I would look it over really good before I bought it.