Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

K&n intake system

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
K&n intake system

i just put the K&N intake system on my 07. I was just wondering if anyone out there has one also, and if it made their truck very noisy when accelerating? It also takes my truck longer to shift gears? Anyone have any insight for me?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmmm I know you don't really want to hear this, but I went thru the same thing.

The bad is you lost torque off the line and 1-2 mpg.

The good is that you gained some noise and a couple ponies top of the rpm curve.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one also. Yes it makes your truck sound badass...unless you plan on racing or driving in the upper RPMs alot it wont make any difference. Mine didnt take longer to shift but it could just be your trucks computer adjusting to the new intake
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
its going to make it louder cause thats about all it going to do, they are for sound and thats about it
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
JMLdawg is on a distinguished road
JMLdawg's Tacoma Gallery
How much is the intake? I would like to put one on my truck!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLdawg View Post
How much is the intake? I would like to put one on my truck!
I'll sell you mine
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
well i am glad i didn't pay for it, because the only thing i notice is the sound. hopefully the exhaust and new headers will help along with a remap.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #8

yea, headers for sure and remapping the comp is a plus as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Sidehack is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Chuck
Sidehack's Tacoma Gallery
I had one on my '07 and took it off because of the increase in noise level. I don't race my truck, just drive it, and the increase in noise was just not to my liking. Now some guys, will love the increased sound level, and that is fine for them.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
I just had mine installed last week. 2010 model. The kit cost me $270, and shouldn't be hard to find for that price online. I knew it made the engine sound badass, and that's what I went for. My ECU is still adjusting, I guess, so I won't know about the MPGs for a while (how long, actually?).
I also have a Magnaflow kit coming my way. It sounded nice on a friend's Taco. Again, mostly for the rumble, and perhaps for some MPGs.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #11

wont gain any mpg's just sound.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
LS1Steve has a spectacular aura aboutLS1Steve has a spectacular aura aboutLS1Steve has a spectacular aura about
LS1Steve's Tacoma Gallery
I had one for 25mi... lost torque and sounds like crap.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
how long should the ECU take to adjust?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmac View Post
how long should the ECU take to adjust?
not sure on that one. but ive heard you will have a better mpg and better "performance" from it if you purchase a MAF calibrator. dont hold me to that, just what ive heard
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
cotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of light
cotruckin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cotruckin
It took my ECU a while to adjust, I think it finally figured out the intake was on there and threw a CEL. Trying to get all of that figured out, this intake mod is starting to ture into a $500 noise maker after I get the MAF cal.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Crappy intake IMO.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
got any opinions on any better ones?TRD filters are mfg to K&N spec so k&N and trd intakes are the same.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
got any opinions on any better ones?TRD filters are mfg to K&N spec so k&N and trd intakes are the same.
maybe the filters are but the the whole intake itself isnt. Afe designed the trd cai and both the afe and trd will give more for the money then any k&n will on our trucks.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
K&N

TRD(Old)

The same????? AFE and TRD use an actual enclosed box compared to the "heat shield" designed by a 12 year old. For sound K&N but for some gains TRD(old) or AFE.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #20
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
K&N intake system = The most overrated aftermarket part since 1990.