LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Calling on former dodge V8 owners with upgraded taco exhausts.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
bruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant future
Navy: ET1
Name: Scott
bruinsrme's Tacoma Gallery
Calling on former dodge V8 owners with upgraded taco exhausts.

I moved from a Dakota with the V8 to a V6 taco.
One thing I really miss; besides the power, is the throaty sound of the V8.

Have you been able to replicate that sound? If so what system did you go with?
Thanks in advace
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Creemore will become famous soon enoughCreemore will become famous soon enough
Creemore's Tacoma Gallery
Just one guy's vote, but a V6 will never sound like a V8. It's like a trumpet trying to sound like a trombone. To me, the key with aftermarket exhausts for V6 engines is to avoid them sounding buzzy or 'ricey'. I'd strongly recommend you actually listen to the setup you want before you buy it.

FWIW, I ended up going with the TRD. It's supposedly the most low key, but it's plenty loud for me. I just want a little rumble at idle and some authority at WOT. Lots of guys here have more radical setups, and will be happy to share I'm sure. Also try search. I learned a lot that way. GL.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creemore View Post
Just one guy's vote, but a V6 will never sound like a V8. It's like a trumpet trying to sound like a trombone. To me, the key with aftermarket exhausts for V6 engines is to avoid them sounding buzzy or 'ricey'. I'd strongly recommend you actually listen to the setup you want before you buy it.

FWIW, I ended up going with the TRD. It's supposedly the most low key, but it's plenty loud for me. I just want a little rumble at idle and some authority at WOT. Lots of guys here have more radical setups, and will be happy to share I'm sure. Also try search. I learned a lot that way. GL.
x2. Unfortunately you're not going to get that v8 sound out of the Taco.

You should check out this thread for some ideas.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...on-thread.html
Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
no...I had the 01 Dakota with the 4.7 and flowmasters. You cant get that V-* sound from a v-6. However, theres a few guys here that have some nice sounding Tacos, just not as deep.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
I moved from a Dakota with the V8 to a V6 taco.
One thing I really miss; besides the power, is the throaty sound of the V8.

Have you been able to replicate that sound? If so what system did you go with?
Thanks in advace
Sorry Dude, V8 sound from a Taco? Nope... no can do!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
PS....My fuel mileage went from 11.6 to 17.5 Gotta love it.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
What you will get out of the Taco if you moved up from an older year Dakota is more horsepower. The current gen Taco's 6 has more grunt than every Dakota V8 except the current HO option.

Which I find funny.

That said, of all the exhausts I've heard thus far, I'm standing by my TRD....combined with the TRD CAI is just sounds smooth and g00d.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my setup... I have the aero turbine 2525 with my rear cats deleted. I made a few videos for some curious people a few days back, so you can hear it in a few different situations.

http://www.youtube.com/user/memario1214
Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the MBRP dual split rear exhaust. It has mellowed out a good bit since I installed it. It'll never sound like a V8 when its running, but at idle several people have asked if I have an 8 in my truck. I have to admit it does have a burble thats similar to a V8.

I've heard some V6 Tacos drive by that sound like farting bees so do your research before buying! I just wanted a bolt-on dual rear exhaust and MBRP was the only ticket I could find. I just lucked out on the exhaust tone
Old 04-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
bruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant futurebruinsrme has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
PS....My fuel mileage went from 11.6 to 17.5 Gotta love it.
I just filled up and 18.4mpg, much better than the 13 or 14 I used to get.

I realize the rumble of the V8 went when I traded the dodge in.
The ricey sound of the V6 is torture.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
JMLdawg is on a distinguished road
JMLdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
I just filled up and 18.4mpg, much better than the 13 or 14 I used to get.

I realize the rumble of the V8 went when I traded the dodge in.
The ricey sound of the V6 is torture.
Not meaning to thread jack, but I have been getting about 21.7 MPG
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLdawg View Post
Not meaning to thread jack, but I have been getting about 21.7 MPG
truck is still new, only the second fill up. First was 17mpg and this one was better
Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
JMLdawg is on a distinguished road
JMLdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I guess to get back on topic, you are not going to make the 6 sound like an 8. Although, the 4.0 Taco sounds amazing with an intake. I have seen a few videos on youtube.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow and Flowmaster make some mufflers that sound pretty good. The model# for the Magnaflow I have is in my info on the left.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Magnaflow and Flowmaster make some mufflers that sound pretty good. The model# for the Magnaflow I have is in my info on the left.
thank you
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget Youtube, btw. There are quite a few Tacoma exhaust clips on there, though they'll obviously sound much different in person.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
yeah watched over 20 all ready.
between the movies being home made and laptop speakers the appreciation simply can not be had
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #18
Sighless is on a distinguished road
Sighless's Tacoma Gallery
i traded a hemi ram, with flowmaster 40's and E-Cutouts..

i miss the sound of truck more than i can explain.. but i have traded it for MPG that i couldnt get with my lifted hemi that rode on 35's..

i will keep my exhaust stock after listening to every possible muffler setup out there, the 4.0L just sounds like HONDA to me...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, here is just a drive off of mine... I think its one of the deeper exhaust notes I have heard, but you can still kind of tell that it's a V6. Mine almost has a diesely sound to it to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSJxUSwsb8
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Yeah, here is just a drive off of mine... I think its one of the deeper exhaust notes I have heard, but you can still kind of tell that it's a V6. Mine almost has a diesely sound to it to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSJxUSwsb8
that was was one of the ones I book marked