Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

P0031/P0051 Fix

Old 04-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
P0031/P0051 Fix

I posted a thread about my "new" truck purchase. In that I mention the problem I was having with getting P0031 and P0051 error codes. Now I am posting the fix (in my case at least). If anyone else gets both codes at the same time.

1) I grabbed the FSM from this thread. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ir-manual.html

2) Found the section for my error codes.

3) Followed it down to the place where both codes meet (AF Heater Relay).

4) Found where the in cabin relay box was located. (Picture below behind the battery).

5) Found the correct relay for the AF Heater- Pulled it out. Man It's a bitch I tell you. In the picture below the AF Heater relay is circled red.

6) Pulled the Fog lamps Relay circled in gray (I tested this one an it was good- fog lights worked)

7) Switched them.

8) Restarted truck. No CEL. No battery clear. Truck is suppose to clear the CEL after start up once condition is cleared.

9) Drove around. Restarted a dozen more times. No CEL.

Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
P0031/P0051 Fix-imag0006.jpg   P0031/P0051 Fix-imag0005.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
tonkatoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
tonkatoy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting the code and solution...
I just got this code today. Did you replace the upstream
o2 sensors first? I thought this code was to just change out the sensors. Why did you end up changing out the relays?

Thanks,
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatoy View Post
Thanks for posting the code and solution...
I just got this code today. Did you replace the upstream
o2 sensors first? I thought this code was to just change out the sensors. Why did you end up changing out the relays?

Thanks,
The relay test was less expensive (free) and once it was corrected the codes went away. I have not had them again since. The reason I did not just replace the O2 sensors is I found it odd both would go out at the exact same time, also when I had the code read, the guy at the autoparts place thought it odd as well. So the relay was the common meet me place for both of these.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
tonkatoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
tonkatoy's Tacoma Gallery
Of course, two wouldn't go out at the same time. Genious! You just saved money for two sensors that you wouldn't been able to return. I have just trouble code P0031. Not P0051. I just wish I knew which side of the engine it is on. The repair manual doesn't say. Just says upper and lower.

Does anyone know?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
DTC
P0031
Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

HINT:
• • • •
Bank 1 refers to the bank that includes cylinder No. 1. Bank 2 refers to the bank that does not include cylinder No. 1. Sensor 1 refers to the sensor closest to the engine assembly. Sensor 2 refers to the sensor farthest away from the engine assembly.

1GR-FE
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...ta/0050015.pdf
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
toytaco1 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aerial Porter 56th APS
Name: jed
toytaco1's Tacoma Gallery
I just popped 5 codes p0031 p0051 p0037 p0057 and p0430
and this is after I had trouble starting the truck would the efi cause these codes to all come up at the same time? Also the truck has no power like it is in limp mode, it ran fine then all of a sudden it started to run really bad any help would be appreciated
Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Is there something in your exhaust pipe. None of those codes have anything to do with transmission issues which will put you in limp mode. All have to do with cat issues, but I would not think a failed cat would make the car limp, however, a stopped up exhaust system might.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Im gonna try and replace the af heater relay and see if that clears the symptoms, toyota said total cost would be over 4 thousand. The truck ran fine then within 24 hours started running the way it is, Im thinking that the cats are fine it only has 69k miles.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
I did what you did and replaced the air fuel relay and cleared up the problem, tjanks for the post saved me some major dough
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #10
tacoma73 is on a distinguished road
tacoma73's Tacoma Gallery
I also had error codes P0031 and P0051. After reading this post, I replaced the aforementioned AF relay and the CEL cleared (needed to disconnect battery to reset CEL).

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
Is there something in your exhaust pipe. None of those codes have anything to do with transmission issues which will put you in limp mode. All have to do with cat issues, but I would not think a failed cat would make the car limp, however, a stopped up exhaust system might.

He is referring to the fuel air mix " Limp Mode ". This is where the system stays in an Open Loop and will run like shit and consume gas like crazy but it will get you home, usually. The fuel system is not adjusting A/F Ratio to the feedback from the sensors.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
X moked U is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
X moked U's Tacoma Gallery
This did not work on my truck :/