LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mobile 1 switch........how long till next change now ?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Mobile 1 switch........how long till next change now ?

ok, I've switched over to Mobile 1, whens my next oil change due ??
5K , 7K ? 10 K ?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
same here
Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I change my Mobil 1 at 5000 miles or 6 months to keep my warranty valid, but I know it can go longer. I personally would not go more than 1 year or 10,000 miles. Whichever comes first.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
well hell, you can go 3 - 5k on regular oil..........figured with synthetic we'd go longer. Alright then.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
well hell, you can go 3 - 5k on regular oil..........figured with synthetic we'd go longer. Alright then.
You're right. in fact I don't use Mobil 1 for the extended oil change benefit, I use it because it flows better in very cold temps and my truck sits outside all winter. Once my warranty is up, I will start taking advantage of the longer intervals. I only put about 8000 miles per year on my truck, so I'll probably change it once a year. No matter what oil you use, including Amsoil, you should not leave it in for more than 1 year. JMO.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I do every 5k with mobil 1. Although when the oil is draining, I can see that the oil still has color to it. It can probably go a few thousand more, but I change it anayway.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
ASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant futureASE_MasterTech has a brilliant future

ASE_MasterTech's Tacoma Gallery
Some oils definitely perform better then others (& Mobil 1 is one) but IMO you should stick with the schedule the engine Manufacturer recommends, not the oil company.
Will the Oil company warranty your engine in the event of failure? I doubt that. 30+yrs in the repair business & I've never seen it happen..
However, I have seen Manufacturers reject warranty claims for failure to follow prescribed maintainence schedules (ie-time/mileage)
So after all, at the end of the day, you should ask yourself; which is less expensive, new oil? or new engine?

I would recommend trying to save money elsewhere..
Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
I think the advantage of running a better oil is better protection, if saving $ is the issue, buy cheap oil....
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Keep with the manufacturer recommended schedule.

I run synthetic in both my vehicles and change at 3500 or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I hear the cams can be kinda sensitive to wear so I use synthetic and change it every 6 months or 6k.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
If you're using a high quality filter and M1 EP, 7500 is no problem, but like some mentioned, the cost savings isn't negligible for the off-chance you need warranty work done.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's long out of warranty. I use Mobil 1 and run it anywhere between 6k to 7.5k (about every other month). Probably still has some life left in it even at 7.5k, but why push it? Most of my driving is hwy miles though; if it were mostly city, I would probably go 5k to 6k. BTW, I use either a Mobil 1 or K&N filter.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
I say 5k
Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Navy: SAR Swimmer
Name: Al
Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
5k for me.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Any time between 3 and 5K. Whenever Im in that range, and its convienient.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #19
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Any time between 3 and 5K. Whenever Im in that range, and its convienient.
Chris, are you changing at this interval because you want to be on the safe side? Or because of what the oil analysis read?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Until the warranty is expired, run the factory recommended changes.

After that, you can either go with 10,000 miles and figure it's fine, or start incrementing the oil change interval up in steps and test the oil.

On my other car I sent oil in for analysis to make sure I wasn't leaving it in too long. I ran 10,000 mile oil changes most of the time, always using Mobil 1 and a quality filter (Mobil 1, Wix, or Napa Gold). Since the oil always came back within specs and without excess contamination, I could probably have tried 12,000 miles.