Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cold air intake kit thoughts

Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Toyoncek is on a distinguished road
Toyoncek's Tacoma Gallery
Cold air intake kit thoughts

Hey,

Alright, so I have a 09 4x4 SR5 4.0L V6 Tacoma, and i'm looking at putting a cold air intake kit on it. Been looking around, but too many mixed reviews. Any thoughts?

I do quite a bit of off-roading and pit mudding. Talked to a guy at performance improvements and told me an open filter vs. a closed filter wouldn't make a difference besides that I would have to clean it more. Would you guys suggest a closed box? As well, should I find a kit that would go into my fender, or just a plastic kit that would fit to a corner?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
save your money.

if you want sound, add a muffler. i'm not really a fan of CAIs because they usually draw warmer air than stock systems and dog the first 3k of the powerband...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Search. Stock is cold air. An open element will suck in hot air hurting performance. Boxed will suck in cold air from the stock location. Any intake alone won't give you much of an increase.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM system, in fact, IS a CAI so gains would be negligible. The only intake I've seen that has decent gains is the URD, but that involves cutting.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Toyoncek is on a distinguished road
Toyoncek's Tacoma Gallery
But would a TRD CAI (http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/pr...dproduct=-8522) be better than just a drop in AFE Prodry filter? or would u go all the way with the AFE Intake, Stage 2 Si with a prodry-s filter (http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...d=1260518767)?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at the HP curves for any of these intakes, assuming you can find them, and ignore the peak HP claims. If you are a daily driver then you need to look at the curve to see if there are any gains in the RPM range that you drive at. From what I've seen, most of the reputable aftermarket, actual, CAIs only add HP after 3500-4000 RPM. If you don't spend a reasonable amount of time above this rpm range, you're benefit is strictly the for the sound of it.

Look at you stock intake, it is a CAI. Now the air path can be improved by straightening it out, but again, those benefits only appear at the higher rpm ranges where those bends start affecting air flow to the TB.

My opinion is that unless you want the sound, or the look, or the few HP that you gain at the high end of the rpm range, that it isn't worth it. I have the same opinion on cat-backs, they have a use, but are they worth it for your use? That's definitely your decision to make.

BTW, in the interest of experimentation on something new, I am going to be attempting to plumb a Volant Air-Ram into the stock air filter housing to see if there's anything interesting there. Not going to dyno, but I'll be watching mpg's and I have a G-Tech to check for any performance gains. Ram air modifications don't tend to show up well on dynos anyway.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
There is a lot of mixed reviews like you said. If you search there will be a plethora of threads of CAI vs. stock, CAI benefits, which brand vs. what brand, hp gains or losses...

Most will say you will not gain any HP with a CAI, and if you do you won't feel it, you prolly won't gain any MPG's, and if you do, it's negligible, and you'll be better off sticking with the stock intake box because its basically a CAI since it pulls air from the fender and putting an AFE pro dry S drop in filter.

If you do a lot of mudding, then a closed box would be best for you, just like the stock box. If you were to go with a CAI , go with a TRD or an AFE.
I have to disagree with you there...i've got the TRD CAI (gen 1) and after i installed it i definitely felt an improvement in throttle response and my truck defintely got a couple more ponies...cause it accelerates a lot quicker and smoother after the intake was installed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
save your money.

if you want sound, add a muffler. i'm not really a fan of CAIs because they usually draw warmer air than stock systems and dog the first 3k of the powerband...
it depends on what type of CAI you have...if its TRD or AFE or even the new AEM version for TRD (gen 2) you are pulling air from the fender...so its ambient air temp (same temperature that's outside)...

it also doesn't dog the 1st 3K of the powerband...if anything it helps give you HP and some TQ...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The problem with just feeling an increase is that butt dynos are not a way to measure a vehicles power. You can bench press 200lbs once and you feel stronger but you really aren't.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The problem with just feeling an increase is that butt dynos are not a way to measure a vehicles power. You can bench press 200lbs once and you feel stronger but you really aren't.
yes i completely agree with you...only way to really tell if there is any HP/TQ gain in the powerband is to do it on a dyno...

but the thing about dyno's is that there are way to many variables to take into consideration...you can have the same dynojet in 3 seperate parts of the city and I guarantee all 3 of the dyno's will read different #'s...

dyno's #'s are a good way to see some gains...but even dyno's have their flaws...user and calibration flaws...

i tell you this much...jump in my truck for a couple of pulls and then jump in your truck for a couple of pulls...you will feel an immediate difference...granted I am also running the X-1 and DTLH along with my TRD CAI...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0LLPHR33 View Post
granted I am also running the X-1 and DTLH along with my TRD CAI...
That is exactly why your truck would feel more powerful than mine. Not because of the intake alone but because of the combination of parts.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
That is exactly why your truck would feel more powerful than mine. Not because of the intake alone but because of the combination of parts.
yes a combination of performance definitely helps...

but honestly I really felt a difference just with the TRD CAI...that was my 1st performance mod and drove around with that for a little over 9 months...then I added the DTLH which I felt the difference right away in the mid-top end of the powder band...but once i installed the x-1 I really felt an overall difference in the truck...

honestly if you want a good performance part and don't mind spending the extra $$$ the APR X-1 unit is your best bet...not only does it give you better throttle response, more HP/TQ but its also self learning...once you drop the x-1 in...every performance part you install there after the x-1 will learn it on its own and adjust the tune for optimum performance...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
silver06pr is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: eric
silver06pr's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Volant in my 06 PreRunner and noticed no differences in power and MPG. I Put the OEM equipment back in after a year.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver06pr View Post
I had a Volant in my 06 PreRunner and noticed no differences in power and MPG. I Put the OEM equipment back in after a year.
all the volant intakes i know of...all made the MAF sensor read a shortage of air so it leaned out the engine...

VOLANTS CAI in my honest opinion was made incorrectly...but that's just me...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone heard of an S&B CAI, it has a box around it, would that be better than just an open one? Or would it draw warm air too?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0LLPHR33 View Post
all the volant intakes i know of...all made the MAF sensor read a shortage of air so it leaned out the engine...

VOLANTS CAI in my honest opinion was made incorrectly...but that's just me...
IMHO our trucks stock are rich pigs, if I could find an intake that did lean out the truck in the normal operating range (cheat the MAF sensor) then I'd buy it for the MPG gains it would give you.

S&B make some good products. I had one on my Nissan titan, not sure if its proven on the Taco yet. ALso the V8s seem to really wake up all around with an intake, not so much in a V6

If your going for speed should have bought the Tundy. If your going for Mpg in an intake -drop in or we need to mod something better from our stock intake...like a hot air intake.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
Anyone heard of an S&B CAI, it has a box around it, would that be better than just an open one? Or would it draw warm air too?
S&B makes good stuff. They suck in cold air. Do they make something for your truck?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
IMHO our trucks stock are rich pigs, if I could find an intake that did lean out the truck in the normal operating range (cheat the MAF sensor) then I'd buy it for the MPG gains it would give you.

S&B make some good products. I had one on my Nissan titan, not sure if its proven on the Taco yet. ALso the V8s seem to really wake up all around with an intake, not so much in a V6

If your going for speed should have bought the Tundy. If your going for Mpg in an intake -drop in or we need to mod something better from our stock intake...like a hot air intake.
hot air intake huh...that defeats the purpose of having an intake entirely...the whole point to putting in an aftermarket intake is 1. to get rid of the carbon filter and allow more air into the manifold to create more power...2. you don't want hot air cause that will not make you more power...hot air will rob you of power...the more cold air you force into the intake manifold the more power you will create...that's why F/I whether or not turbo or supercharged job is...they push more air into the same manifold...the colder the better...to a certain point...too cold and you start running rich...but that's when we start talking about tuning the engine...that's a whole nother ball game...

our trucks are really good on MPG and the speed well between a V6 and V8 that's like talking apples and oranges...we didn't buy a truck to do road courses and beat up on ferrari's...that's for sure...

you want more MPG in a tacoma...change your driving habits...get a SG2 that way you can monitor the amount of fuel you are using in all gears whether automatic/standard...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
S&B makes good stuff. They suck in cold air. Do they make something for your truck?
They do, Im seriously considering it. What do you think?
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A2607392.aspx
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
Banned

Well it's boxed and it looks like it may draw cold air. I'd email them and ask where exactly it gets air from. Maybe ask for some installed photos. The price isn't too bad either. Don't expect like 40 horsepower from it though.