Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rocky Mounts Clutch SD owners... No offroad?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Effin A Cotton, Effin A
texastacobueno is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
texastacobueno's Tacoma Gallery
Rocky Mounts Clutch SD owners... No offroad?

Hey I'm wondering if any Rocky Mount Clutch SD owners offroad with this particular fork mount while a bike is in the bed. we do alot of offroad when we mountain bike, not super hardcore but we do bounce around alot. will it be able to stand up to it? And also will my front rail be able to handle the weight 2 bike mounts + bike during use?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using the Toyota fork mounts for almost two years now and they've held up well with multiple bikes, even under mild off-road conditions. My recollection is that the factory rails have a 250 lbs. load capacity. Still, at times, they've seemed a bit sketchy as there is a bit of play and the bikes twist a little. If I'm going to be driving anything rough, I strap the rears down to keep the bikes planted.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
fiscalmd is on a distinguished road
fiscalmd's Tacoma Gallery
Rocky Mounts Clutch SD

These were the first add-ons I purchased for the Tacoma. Matching-key locks directly from Rocky Mounts in CO. They are very sturdy. I jerk on the bikes after locking in place to make sure they are tight, and the forks do not move. You will get a hop every now and then when hitting a large bump, but the bikes will still be there.

If you are worried, get a cable lock and strap the rear wheels down like I do. This also prevents the local hoodlum from thinking about taking my rear wheel when I am at work.