Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is a Torque wrench absolutely necessary?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
I've got that one. My only complaint is it keeps loosening the adjuster and may change the torque setting on you as you use it. But it works. While you're at it, get a socket for your lug nuts to fit it too and don't ever use the lug nut wrench that came with the truck (store the torque wrench in its place instead). Using the OEM wrench will strip the fake cover off your lug nuts (or warp them).
Yeh too late for that lol. My lug nuts looks like shit. I have to beat them out of the socket everytime I rotate tires now, beacause they wont fit in the size they're supposed to.

anyways, I'm heading to Oreilly's now, Ill post pics tonight even though I'm only working on the back today, then doing my 5100's up front Sunday. CANT WAIT!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Under tightened - Comes loose

Over tightened - weakins the bolts strength
Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08armytaco View Post
Under tightened - Comes loose

Over tightened - weakins the bolts strength
+1!
I like to use a torque wrench because it takes the guess work out of the equation. The click type is the best for most jobs. But for really critical bolts I like to use the bar type.
Over time the click type can go out of calibration.

Craftsman makes a very reliable and affordable bar torque wrench.

My click type are all Snap-On.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #24
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't want to be called a "hack," I'd get one!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
WILLIAM ROBERT has a spectacular aura aboutWILLIAM ROBERT has a spectacular aura about

Canadian Army: Mekanik
WILLIAM ROBERT's Tacoma Gallery
I use torque wrenches as well, rims and brake drums can warp very easily, depending on how big a guy you are or the size of the bar you are using. One thing to note is that all torque wrenches are not built the same, you get what you pay for. It is also important to note that most torque wrenches are only accurate within a certain range of their torque scale(middle). The cheaper ones can be out of spec as much as 15% at the very bottom and top of their scales. So, that means that if you are using the torque wrench to tighten your lug nuts to say 90lb/ft then a wrench that is good for 50-150lb/ft is a safe bet.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Yeh too late for that lol. My lug nuts looks like shit. I have to beat them out of the socket everytime I rotate tires now, beacause they wont fit in the size they're supposed to.

anyways, I'm heading to Oreilly's now, Ill post pics tonight even though I'm only working on the back today, then doing my 5100's up front Sunday. CANT WAIT!
Let me know if you want better replacements. I have all the ones I ordered and used from LA Wheel & Tire (much better than the toyota crap) for sale since I just bought new wheels.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well I got my torque wrench, but some stuff came up, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to start Better to start fresh anyway.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #28
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
I may sound like a child, but why? What difference does it make? As long as it doesn't come loose.
^ yep sure do!!

always uses a torque wrench when required. now, if were talking about the brass fitting in my TRD CAI, i can see passing on, but when its the ubolts for my leafs..torque them down!

as others have said, HF has a 1/2 drive one for like $15, lifetime warranty.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Get one ASAP

If you have a small bolt, use a small 1/4" drive ratchet, for most automotive work use medium 3/8" drive ratchet, for big suspension bolts use a 1/2" drive ratchet and breaker bar.
Using common sense and the right tool for the job makes it easier and faster, whenever torque needs to be specific, use the torque wrench.
When you use the torque wrench the first time, try it on your wheels and you will probably find out that you're overtorquing things, do the same in a few projects and you'll develop the habit of using it due to the fact that you over torque things regularly.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
It makes me happy to see so many say that a torque wrench is the right way to go.

I even torque oil drain plugs! But you know what? The cars that only I service, you can break the drain plug loose with a wrench and take it out with your fingers. Even when the vehicles have over 250K on them. Unlike the Honda I worked on today that the lady takes to lube shops. The plug came out with the threads. Oh, and it was low on oil with a variable valve timing fault.........

Spark plugs are another issue. You will see torque values of 13-30 foot pounds depending on the application. All about materials and sealing style.

Many shops keep lug nuts and studs in stock. I have a hard time remembering when I had to replace one on any vehicle I work on with any regularity. If they have just had new tires or a service elsewhere, look out.

The comments people have made about warping drums and rotors is spot on. Even have seen repeated failures of hub style bearing caused by the use of an impact to install. Go figure. The XXX torque value actually helps set preload in some designs.

I own four. I am switching over to the new digital ones now. (already have one) They self calibrate. You would be shocked at how far off a mechanical wrench can get over time.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I should use a torque wrench more often but my elbow is calibrated pretty accurately -- I have a good feel for an approximate value. Any engine work (especially spark plugs or cyl heads) or suspension work, I definitely use the tq wrench.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
^ yep sure do!!

always uses a torque wrench when required. now, if were talking about the brass fitting in my TRD CAI, i can see passing on, but when its the ubolts for my leafs..torque them down!

as others have said, HF has a 1/2 drive one for like $15, lifetime warranty.

What is HF?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
What is HF?
Harbor Freight
Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #34
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I have had one since the first time I broke a water pump bolt years ago. You will only do that once before you learn. I can't imagine not having one with newer engines and parts. Spend money and buy a good one, it will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. I usually buy Craftsman tools just for the warranty and ease of returning them.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #35
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
the reading a torque wrench gives you is just a ball park. some engineer figured a fastener of a certian size needs to be TENSION some amount. they test them on a tool called a skidmore, and note the torque needed to reach the tension. then they tell us. this is in a perfect world. we add antiseize, it acts as a lube, numbers get wacked. rust? wacked. having said that..rebuilding motors? i use a torque wrench..same for wheels. some things, i just tighten down.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #36
jpg366 will become famous soon enough
jpg366's Tacoma Gallery
Bolts and studs are designed to be stretched a particular amount when they are tight. Too much, they can break or strip the threads. Too little, they will either loosen or not hold the parts tight enought (eg.,a cylinder head will leak and cut). Guessing at torque on suspension parts is attempted suicide.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
yea, you are right...but i tested bolts for months on end. big fancy torque wrenches, and a skidmore. day in and day out. just testing nut/bolts before we put them into service on a steel bridge. you would be surprised the range a bolt has before it moves from the elastic ductile zone to yielded.

in general, if you can get a torque wrench on the target fastener, do it. i have a slew of them. one is an 8' snap on (from work).
Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
I have broken and stripped so many nuts and bolts, with the corresponding extra work, delays, and cost, that I definitely recommend a good torque wrench, if you do much automotive work you probably even need 2, one for lower levels of torque (inch-lbs) and one for the heavier duty stuff, lug nuts, suspension components, valve cover bolts, spark plugs, and yes, oil drain plugs. Everything in a service manual with a torque value, it is there for good reason, and having things torqued correctly is worth a lot, peace of mind that it is tight enough, and avoidance of making a job a lot more complicated due to breakage. My manual sense of how tight things should be is a lot better than it was years ago, but I don't trust it.

So, yes.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #40

I'm taking everyone's advice, and already bought a torque wrench. My thing is about EVERYTHING being torqued to spec is. . . take my motocross bike for example. Every nut and bolt on that thing has a torque spec, but there is absolutely no need to torque any bolt on it(besides the engine).