Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is a Torque wrench absolutely necessary?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #41
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Necessary? No. A good idea? Yes.
X2
Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #42
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously you need some sort of gauge. If it wasn't needed you wouldn't need a speedometer,or a tach,would you? This bullshit of "I just feel what's right" is just that,bullshit.How many people would put up with no speedometer or tach? Hell,why even do you need a fuel gauge,you should just "get a feel for it",right? Come on now!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #43
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Those examples are just a BIT over the top, no? Some of us simply do have "a feel for it". It comes with years and years of experience.

However, I still recommend using a torque wrench.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #44
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^Those examples are just a BIT over the top, no? Some of us simply do have "a feel for it". It comes with years and years of experience.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #45
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
Obviously you need some sort of gauge. If it wasn't needed you wouldn't need a speedometer,or a tach,would you? This bullshit of "I just feel what's right" is just that,bullshit.How many people would put up with no speedometer or tach? Hell,why even do you need a fuel gauge,you should just "get a feel for it",right? Come on now!
So I guess you change your flat tire with a torque wrench. Who needs a tach driving an auto ?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #46
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Yes. Because this idiot kid over-tightened my friend's X5's oil pan and cracked it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #47
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
So I guess you change your flat tire with a torque wrench. Who needs a tach driving an auto ?
For when you manually shift the gears or are trying to save gas to stay under a certain RPM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #48
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Oil plugs are one thing I don't use a torque wrench on. They do not need to be very tight so I just make them snug.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #49
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
A good example is my buddy destroyed a brand new crankshaft dampener on his 280z due to having it under torqued. Est without a torque wrench he maybe did 40-50lb, spec was around 90ish. It was able to get a bit loose and tear itself apart.

So necessary no... but it can save you a lot in the long run, plus lost time going back in to fix things that weren't torqued properly to start with.

Also over torquing is one of the worst offenses home mechanics do...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #50
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
In some situations, its very important. In other situations....not so much.

For instance..... Installing a water pump on a tacoma. The recommended torque (If I remember correctly) on the bolts to the block, is like 15ft lbs. If you torque it too much, the alluminum housing on the water pump can crack, and/or the seal to the block won't be effective, there might actually be clearance issues, and god knows what else.

When Installing leaf springs and tightening U-bolts....I've personally never used a torque wrench. I'll get them 'F*n' tight.
I've seen far too many problems (on the trails) with suspensions coming loose and breaking all kinds of stuff.

You have to use your own judgement in knowing when its OK to not use a torque wrench.

In terms of wheels & tires...... Over-torqueing your lug nuts can cause your rotors to warp. I believe the torque is 85ft lbs. I actually use 100ft lbs on all our vehicles.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #51
ianc is on a distinguished road
Name: ian
ianc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
I should use a torque wrench more often but my elbow is calibrated pretty accurately -- I have a good feel for an approximate value. Any engine work (especially spark plugs or cyl heads) or suspension work, I definitely use the tq wrench.
Agreed. If you don't want to buy tw try torque sticks for impacts. work fairly well. Torque values are tricky when using old harware thats rusted. Try prevaling torque (lock nuts, They don't come loose unless you reuse them.

Agree with above. Suspension. The German way Goodentight.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #52
LVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LVTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Always use factory spec torque on your truck. Atleast just for the peace of mind knowing its on there to spec. and not having a problem later on from under or overtightening. Spark plugs are a great example of NEVER tightening something too much or too little.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #53
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
try torque sticks for impacts. work fairly well.
X2 on the torque sticks. I have a 100lb stick that I use on the wheels/tires. Makes life easier to Zing the lug nuts on and get the torque pretty close.

Our torque stick is older than dirt (10 yrs) and has been used pretty hard. So - it's not as good as it used to be. I always use regular torque wrench after, as a quick check.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #54
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

I KNOW THAT'S A BIT OVER THE TOP! Just making a point.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #55
What would Scooby do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
So you just leave your spare on for how long? And you get flats how often? I can count on one hand the times I"ve had a flat in 27yrs. of driving.I've used a soda can to smoke weed too.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #56

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^You are a lucky man but a more serious note, if it has anything to do with the engine or transmission I will always torque bolts to specs but otherwise with lugs, u-bolts, shocks, d-rings, etc. I just use my judgment. I roll mine with Rizla BTW.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #57
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I use a torque wrench on most everything.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #58
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

JayJay's Tacoma Gallery
here is the main issue and why you should use a torque wrench , its not how tight its how evenly all the bolts are ..... lug nuts can come loose if uneven torque is aplied , not always come loose but why take a chance ..... if they ask 80lbs of torque then 80 it is ..... if you have 6 lugs and some are 75 and some are a 100 and some are 60 , then it could cause problems (could).... but like I said even torque is important , whether its on wheels or engine or name it, #'s are there for a reason ..... Enjoy the ride my friend ........ PS. #'s are IMPORTANT ...... 6 QRTS OF OIL ,OR I JUST GET A FEEL FOR THE AMOUNT ??????????? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT THATS JUST MY 2 CENTS

ENJOY THE RIDE !!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #59
The Duck
Duck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud of

Duck760's Tacoma Gallery
IDK but ima buy one haha
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #60
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
same here, if I know or can find out what the recommended torque of a bolt/nut should be, I'll use the torque wrench.
You can alway find the torque using "google" as long as you know the size and grade of the bolt.