Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is a Torque wrench absolutely necessary?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Is a Torque wrench absolutely necessary?

My dad always told me I didn't need a torque wrench, and to just tighten as tight as I can. Now that I've been doing things on my own, I always see "torque this, torque that". Is it really necessary?

Example: I wan't to put my AAL's on today, but I don't have a torque wrench. . .Should I go buy or rent one?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ x2
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy a cheap one from harbor freight, they are $10. Better than guessing if something is tight enough, or over torquing and stripping a nut or bolt.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I may sound like a child, but why? What difference does it make? As long as it doesn't come loose.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Go buy one at an autoparts store. I got a 1/2 drive from autozone. Not the most expensive, but it did the job
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
I have installed a lot of stuff and most of it I didn't torque. I just made sure everything was still tight 100 miles later.

But I do have one and try to use it. You can always just guess right now and install them. Then withing the next few days go buy one and check. I got a decent one from autozone for 25 bucks.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
A torque wrench can be a very important tool to have. Especially when you must torque specific things like wheel hubs or trunion bearings etc.... to the correct pre-load value. Also with alot of things being aluminum on todays engines you had better not just go tightening everything to "as tight as you can".
Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
everything was steel back in the old days, you could torque the hell out of eveything

Now a days there is alot of aluminum, its a softer metal and can easily be damaged

like a beer can!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
I may sound like a child, but why? What difference does it make? As long as it doesn't come loose.
Hardware can only handle so much stress before it is weakened. Over-tightening/torquing is just as dangerous as under-tightening/torquing.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you want to be sure you tightened it enough or do you want to find out only when it falls apart?

Some things aren't meant to be tightened as hard as you can tighten them. Bolts that go through parts that are supposed to move is one example.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
Y e s !!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'd say yes. Invest in a good one because you will be using it. Craftsman's torque wrenches blow.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's one example: Over-torquing lug nuts is quite common. Not only could you strip the nut by over-torquing, but you can damage your wheels too.

Think if the nut is just about at it's breaking point when you put it on....a few bumps and it strips off. How many weeks would it take you to realize you are driving around with only 5 lugs?

Picture the same thing if it were a front or rear shock. Even more of a disaster.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
A torque wrench can be a very important tool to have. Especially when you must torque specific things like wheel hubs or trunion bearings etc.... to the correct pre-load value. Also with alot of things being aluminum on todays engines you had better not just go tightening everything to "as tight as you can".
I agree. Aluminum is very fragile. Even with my torque wrench I had problems with my cam bolts. I had to fix the threads. A few stripped out. Imagine if the torque was different on all the bolts. Could have messed up some serious stuff. Well the point of the story is too better be safe than sorry.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #16

damn I love TW. Looks like the majority rules. Guess I will head down to Oreilly's and check this one out. Is this a good brand? I try my best to stay away from AutoCrap(Zone). http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...=torque+wrench
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
damn I love TW. Looks like the majority rules. Guess I will head down to Oreilly's and check this one out. Is this a good brand? I try my best to stay away from AutoCrap(Zone). http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...=torque+wrench

Looks good to me
Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
ryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ryan
ryhar85's Tacoma Gallery
I have lifted two jeeps, my tacoma, done an engine transplant, break jobs, and countless other misc. DIY projects, and never once used a torque wrench. Never had a problem with any of the work done. I am a firm believer in 'common sense prevails'. Its as simple as - make it really tight, but not too tight. . . On the other hand, if you doubt yourself, maybe a torque wrench is a good idea. Just because I never use one, does not mean its a bad idea to have one. Just MHO. And good luck with the aal! Post pics when its done.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I've got that one. My only complaint is it keeps loosening the adjuster and may change the torque setting on you as you use it. But it works. While you're at it, get a socket for your lug nuts to fit it too and don't ever use the lug nut wrench that came with the truck (store the torque wrench in its place instead). Using the OEM wrench will strip the fake cover off your lug nuts (or warp them).
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
i have 2 torque wrenchs, a 1/2 and a 3/8 drive and i rarely use them. i can usually judge by feel how much foot pounds im putting on something. i should probably get in the habit of using them more though.