1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio and clock stopped working.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GunMetalSteak, May 14, 2008.

1. May 14, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    GunMetalSteak

GunMetalSteak [OP] Active Member

Member:
    LA, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner SR5
    Hood scoop, side steps.
    Hello all, i am new to this forum, and i am also a new Tacoma Owner. So this morning i get in my truck and the radio and clock are not working. so i turn it on and off a few times and nothing. I drive to work in silence, and as soon as i get to work i open my door with the truck still on and the radio turns on. i turn it off and start it again, no problems....has anyone else had this problem?

I have an 07' PreRunner SR5 DC

2. May 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM
    GunMetalSteak

Member:
    LA, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner SR5
    Hood scoop, side steps.
    Also i noticed that the clock was the wrong time (when it finally came back on). The only thing i can think of that could have caused this, i got a spare key made. I made sure to have the person who cut the key to check if the key was chipped. He said it was not. The new cut key opened the door and could turn the radio on. But the car would not turn over, so i am assuming the key was chipped and no surprise that the HD employee was incompetent.

3. May 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I'm curious to see what the final answer is. Does the radio work properly again with the old key?

4. May 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    It sounds like you confused your trucks power by trying to start it with a unchipped key. If it works fine now, I wouldn't worry about.

Our trucks come with all sorts of door lock/unlock, window up/down features that operate based on the power. I wouldn't be surprised if they're is a some hidden power for the radio also.

5. May 14, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    GunMetalSteak

Member:
    LA, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner SR5
    Hood scoop, side steps.
    i understand that it needs to be a chipped key. when i tried to start the truck this morning i used the chipped key. the copied key (not chipped) i tried last night. I tired that key in a parking lot. i had to use the chip key to drive home. everything was fine on the way home. Just this morning when i was going to work i had the issue (with the chipped key). I am wondering if the fact the i tried to start the truck with a non chipped key (last night), maybe it messed with some wires or something?

6. May 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    it's not going to mess with your wires. I think that your problems are over with.

7. May 14, 2008 at 9:22 AM
    GunMetalSteak

Member:
    LA, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner SR5
    Hood scoop, side steps.
    thank you for the help, i hope my problems are over with. i will keep you updated.

8. May 19, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    GunMetalSteak

Member:
    LA, CA
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner SR5
    Hood scoop, side steps.
    so this happened another 2 more times. generally it is only when i first start the truck in the morning. but today the radio and clocked turned off for about 15 seconds while i was driving. (i was not going over any bumps or stopping fast, just driving everything normal on a paved road.)

any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you,

9. May 19, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    that is weird. I'm just shooting in the dark...try disconnecting your battery for about 10 minutes. Also, you could try putting a new fuse in.

Products Discussed in

To Top