1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

amount of paint for satoshi?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, May 2, 2010.

1. May 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I am halfway through with my Satoshi mod on my 2009 Grille. I am looking to order paint to match the factory gray color. I am planning on painting the entire grill including the recessed lip that most members leave black. So basically painting the entire chrome surround and recessed lip or pretty much the entire grille.

I found a link while searching showing where to order spray cans of factory paint that come only in 12 oz. cans. In all the links I read here I could not find any who said how much paint it took to finish their grille. Would it be safe to order 2 of the 12oz cans or should it take several cans to do it right?

2. May 3, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    The fiberglass is drying now and strangely enough the fiberglass worked better for me than the epoxy method. I found it easier to use a longer section of fiberglass that allowed me to extend a little around the rounded corners for a little better grip. I tried several methods to use epoxy and with the curve of the recessed lip did not have as much contact area for epoxy when using a straight section of plastic.

The fiberglass kit allowed me enough to do two layers however it seems a little thin...very rigid now but thin and may have a little too much flex for me. I am thinking of adding some small plastic strips across the back for some support. Can anyone answer if it is ok to go back and add more fiberglass sheets once the ones I have on there now have dried??

The paint will surely be needed now as I have scratched this grille to hell and back messing with it.

3. May 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    You can add more fiberglass. I typically do 3-4 pieces per side the first time, then go back and add another 3-4 pieces a day later. Don't be afraid to use a lot of resin, that way it fills in any little air bubbles.

4. May 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    I did the ABS method on my satoshi, but I first glued in a brace, which was a flat piece that went behind the cutouts, similar to how you guys run the fiberglass. Was really easy to do.

I just finished painting my lower bumper with the same can I used on the satoshi, and theres more left. However, if you're gonna color match, you're gonna use that paint for other projects on your ride - get 2 cans.

5. May 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    a local autobody store should sell spray paint to color match your car (you'll most likely have to order it). Those cans typically come in 24-26oz sizes and are about 20-25 bucks a pop.

6. Aug 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM
    BIG MoFukin SERG

BIG MoFukin SERG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Serg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '09 MGM TRD Off Road
    5100's set at 2.5", Blacked-out badges, CB, Drop-in K&N
    What grit sandpaper is recomended to prep the grille surround? Thanks in advance.

Products Discussed in

To Top