1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting = trim??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by raycie, May 2, 2010.

1. May 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    I would have thought that lifting the truck a little bit would save the need to have to trim..

Changed tires to 265/70/17 on the stock 17" sport rims. No problem at all..

Installed bilstein 5100s @ 1.75, and the tires started rubbing on the inside of the mudflap. It was rubbing on that small bump area on the inside. (not even sure why they made a bump there instead of being perfectly flat.

Of course I needed to have the wheel turned perfectly 1/2 way and enter my driveway, or go over a speedbump, but obvisouly I met with the "perfect" conditions more than a couple of times since installing the bilsteins..

Fixed that with the help of a heavy duty box blade, but still baffled why no prob with the larger tires, but rub with the tires and a small lift..

Anyone similar?

2. May 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The mud flaps sit just a hairs width inside the fender wells....When you lifted the truck that part got higher in relation to the tire- and lined up with the thickest part of the tire and started rubbing.

If you aren't rubbing on your cab mount or the fenders- I wouldn't worry about it. These mudflaps kinda suck anyways.

3. May 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    hmm.. got it.. so basically that "bump" usually sits lower than the "3'oclock" of the tire.. by lifting, I raised the bump to "3 oclock".. thanks.. makes sense..

Yea.. just got irritating to hear that scraping sound every once and awhile.. Made me flash back to the 'ol days of a lowered rice burner..

4. May 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah..I gotta find someone local to me to chop and box my cab mounts...cause the noise that makes is bugging me. I feel your pain!!

5. May 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Planning on going 2.5" when I lift. Switching to a wheel with an 1.25 inch less backspacing (but 1 inch wider), ditching the mudflaps. Hoping I can get 33s in there with only minor trimming.

Products Discussed in

To Top