1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3M Hood Protector

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by needataco, May 14, 2008.

1. May 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM
    needataco

needataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm picking up my 08 Tacoma this Saturday and my salesman (who is also a good friend) asked if I wanted the 3M Hood Protector installed. He said he thought he could get it for me for $199 installed. Since it's a black truck he said that I wouldn't notice it much and it would be good to prevent rock chips.

Do you guys think it's worth it?

2. May 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Good friends had it on a black Camery and a few months later it looked terrible and they couldn't wait to take it off. His sister is the sales manager at the dealership so he got it cheap but still had to pay to have it removed again in about six months time.

That's the only one I know of.

3. May 14, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    Just get a deflector (not TRD). I just don't know if I would like a layer if thick tape on my hood. but if you get it post some pic's, maybe I'll change my mind.

4. May 14, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I have seen it on a friends Lexus. I never noticed it till I was helping him wash his car one day. It was a dark grey IS 300. I has been on there for a few years now and still looks the same.

5. May 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    I have it on my front bumper and lower portion of the fenders. I did not get it on my hood, due to the bug deflector I have.
    On a black truck you will probably notice it more than any other color. My truck is silver and you can barely notice it. To make it less noticeable on a black truck, make sure you clean up any wax along the edges of the 3m protector. If you don't wax your truck non-issue.

6. May 17, 2008 at 7:33 PM
    adamceckhardt

adamceckhardt Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used to sell this product, and still would if I still worked at the same place.

It is an AWESOME product, hands down. I will not buy a new vehicle without putting it on.

The darker the color, the more noticable MISTAKES will be. It is a difficult product to install- much harder than it looks (if you manage to watch someone do it without getting told to go away). If you get a veteran installer, you'll hardly notice it.

Might be a little late with my chime-in... but I think you oughta go for it. Worst case scenario- you can take it off without damaging paint (and you CAN take it off yourself- PM me if you have questions)

7. May 17, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    me personally, im not a fan of that stuff. i can live with rock chips.

8. May 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I have it on the complete front of my black o8, best investment I made.My prior truck was black and I do alot of interstate driving and the front of the truck was all chipped up. I even had it repainted. When I got my new truck I said that was the first mod I'm doing. Cost me $392 out the door. I have upper and lower bumpers, hood, grille, and and bothe front fender flares. The installer was good and it you clean the wax off around the edges you can't tell its there.

9. May 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    adamceckhardt

adamceckhardt Well-Known Member

Member:
    One thing I've noticed is that you all seem to be getting the product pretty cheap. In montana, we sell the hood kits for $349 and the hood and bumper kits for $699.

If you're getting the 3M brand stuff installed properly for less than that, you'd be crazy not to get it.

10. May 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    +1

11. May 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    needataco

needataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for your help guys. I decided not to go with the 3M stuff. It's a truck and it's going to get rock chips, no big deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top