Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3M Hood Protector

Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
needataco is on a distinguished road
needataco's Tacoma Gallery
3M Hood Protector

Hi everyone,
I'm picking up my 08 Tacoma this Saturday and my salesman (who is also a good friend) asked if I wanted the 3M Hood Protector installed. He said he thought he could get it for me for $199 installed. Since it's a black truck he said that I wouldn't notice it much and it would be good to prevent rock chips.

Do you guys think it's worth it?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by needataco View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm picking up my 08 Tacoma this Saturday and my salesman (who is also a good friend) asked if I wanted the 3M Hood Protector installed. He said he thought he could get it for me for $199 installed. Since it's a black truck he said that I wouldn't notice it much and it would be good to prevent rock chips.

Do you guys think it's worth it?
Good friends had it on a black Camery and a few months later it looked terrible and they couldn't wait to take it off. His sister is the sales manager at the dealership so he got it cheap but still had to pay to have it removed again in about six months time.

That's the only one I know of.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a deflector (not TRD). I just don't know if I would like a layer if thick tape on my hood. but if you get it post some pic's, maybe I'll change my mind.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen it on a friends Lexus. I never noticed it till I was helping him wash his car one day. It was a dark grey IS 300. I has been on there for a few years now and still looks the same.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
I have it on my front bumper and lower portion of the fenders. I did not get it on my hood, due to the bug deflector I have.
On a black truck you will probably notice it more than any other color. My truck is silver and you can barely notice it. To make it less noticeable on a black truck, make sure you clean up any wax along the edges of the 3m protector. If you don't wax your truck non-issue.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
adamceckhardt is on a distinguished road
adamceckhardt's Tacoma Gallery
I used to sell this product, and still would if I still worked at the same place.

It is an AWESOME product, hands down. I will not buy a new vehicle without putting it on.

The darker the color, the more noticable MISTAKES will be. It is a difficult product to install- much harder than it looks (if you manage to watch someone do it without getting told to go away). If you get a veteran installer, you'll hardly notice it.

Might be a little late with my chime-in... but I think you oughta go for it. Worst case scenario- you can take it off without damaging paint (and you CAN take it off yourself- PM me if you have questions)
Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
me personally, im not a fan of that stuff. i can live with rock chips.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
Army: E4
Name: Larry
TRD Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I have it on the complete front of my black o8, best investment I made.My prior truck was black and I do alot of interstate driving and the front of the truck was all chipped up. I even had it repainted. When I got my new truck I said that was the first mod I'm doing. Cost me $392 out the door. I have upper and lower bumpers, hood, grille, and and bothe front fender flares. The installer was good and it you clean the wax off around the edges you can't tell its there.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
adamceckhardt is on a distinguished road
adamceckhardt's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I've noticed is that you all seem to be getting the product pretty cheap. In montana, we sell the hood kits for $349 and the hood and bumper kits for $699.

If you're getting the 3M brand stuff installed properly for less than that, you'd be crazy not to get it.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
me personally, im not a fan of that stuff. i can live with rock chips.
+1
Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
needataco is on a distinguished road
needataco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your help guys. I decided not to go with the 3M stuff. It's a truck and it's going to get rock chips, no big deal.