Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP! only high beams work

Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
HELP! only high beams work

everytime i turn the dial to "lights on" just the highs come on and the lows dont work whatever i do. when i pull it back or push it forward which normally makes the highs come on, nothing changes. my fogs wont turn on (because only the highs are working). What the hell is going on? i've had the truck for 2 weeks, its certified used, and already 4wd breaks and this haha, i am NOT having good luck right now.

Any solutions? Anyone else had this problem? HELP!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Are the bulbs burned out?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
They shouldn't! I mean, the icon for the highs being on is just on ALL THE TIME when i turn the headlights on. Nothing will disengage the highs so i can't even test the lows. But i'm 99.9% sure they are not burnt out.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
have u changed ANY bulbs recently?
No sir. Just got the truck less than 2 weeks ago, have not done ANYTHING to it yet.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
interesting................if its certified, Id take it to the dealer before I dove too far into this myself....U dont want to give them a reason to point the finger at you.

wait, what does this mean?

wiring issue?
That's what I'm gonna do I suppose. Could be wiring, but all the plow stuff was on it before I bought it and the lights have worked up until only about an hour ago. Hopefully some miracle happens and it works tomorrow. Meh.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
If it worked an hour ago maybe you should try disconnecting the battery for a little while and see if the problem persists and go from there?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
If it worked an hour ago maybe you should try disconnecting the battery for a little while and see if the problem persists and go from there?
will definitely be trying this tomorrow when it's not raining. thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota is starting to make me sad. Are all the guys on the assembly line DRUNK?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Look at the mods, they are electrical and pertain to the lights..........No way u should point the finger at toyota YET for this
I know. You have to blame the guy that isnt here. lol
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Look at the mods, they are electrical and pertain to the lights..........No way u should point the finger at toyota YET for this
Well the thing is, the plow stuff came already hooked up and it was certified used which means everything should function when they sell it.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
agreed, its on the original owner, installer, and the tech/techs who signed off on it when it was certified.........but not toyota manufacturing, as the one poster wanted to blame.

U should be good to go as far as having them own up to it.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'll give em a call tomorrow and see what they say if this battery-unhooking thing doesn't work.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
agreed, its on the original owner, installer, and the tech/techs who signed off on it when it was certified.........but not toyota manufacturing, as the one poster wanted to blame.

U should be good to go as far as having them own up to it.

Just to let you know I wasnt blaming Toyota. They just have been kinda letting their rep slip a little.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
click ur heels together 3 times and say "Chris4x4 is the man" while u hook the battery back up...........

Honestly Id be amazed if the battery would effect it.
I'm literally gonna do that. I'll try anything haha
Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The dimmer relay that switches from low to high beams is in the underhood fuse box. There is a possibility that the contacts inside it are stuck. Sometimes, a sharp tap with a screwdriver handle or similar will unstick a relay. You could also try swapping it with another relay of the same type in that box.

Otherwise, the dimmer relay is switched by the body control module, which looks at the position of the dimmer switch and decides what signals to send to the relay. If your problem is there, I imagine you will just take it to the dealer and ask them to take care of it.

Just trying to give you a little help with a potentially simple temporary fix.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
The dimmer relay that switches from low to high beams is in the underhood fuse box. There is a possibility that the contacts inside it are stuck. Sometimes, a sharp tap with a screwdriver handle or similar will unstick a relay. You could also try swapping it with another relay of the same type in that box.

Otherwise, the dimmer relay is switched by the body control module, which looks at the position of the dimmer switch and decides what signals to send to the relay. If your problem is there, I imagine you will just take it to the dealer and ask them to take care of it.

Just trying to give you a little help with a potentially simple temporary fix.
Did this and it worked!!! I guess something must really have been stuck or bumped out of place for whatever reason. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you fixed it! Now you know what part to replace if it happens again.