Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark Plugs??

Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
HDFD10 is on a distinguished road
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs??

Hey all, i got an '06 Taco. Feel like an idoit but was reading through maintence schedule yesterday and found i was supposed to replace spark plugs at 30,000 and i am now at 40,000. Question is what are you guys using for spark plugs, and any write ups on replacement?? Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the 4.0 v6 here you go.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
I have 32,xxx miles on and I need to do this, but to answer your question I will be going with Denso Spark Plugs #K20HR-U11 (Toyota part #90919-01235)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
HDFD10 is on a distinguished road
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
If you have the 4.0 v6 here you go.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...-gr-fe-15.html
Yep, 4.0 litre. And thank you! And is everyone just using toyota plugs, or anything i can get from advance or such??
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFD10 View Post
Yep, 4.0 litre. And thank you! And is everyone just using toyota plugs, or anything i can get from advance or such??
There have been a lot of people with problems running aftermarket plugs. Stick with OEM. And just fair warning, you may have trouble getting the wires unclipped from the front driver's side plug. For some of us, the wires weren't long enough to get the clip off without a lot of struggle. Second time around though, had no problem with it. And you're not the only one that went longer than they should on those plugs. I changed mine for the first time at 48K miles and they still looked to be in good condition. Changed the second ones 30K miles later (78K) and they needed to be changed. Guess it just depends on driving conditions.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
i have to recommend the search function before posting anything else... if you search you save a post!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Only use OEM Denso plugs.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed mine and used Denso Iridium Power plugs. IKH20

The driver's side is hard, be prepared.

At 78.4k miles I suppose the sparks had been changed out before. Both sides had Denso's and from what I hear they come from the factory with Denso's on one side and NGK's on the other.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
There have been a lot of people with problems running aftermarket plugs. Stick with OEM.
I was really surprised to learn that Tacomas don't come from the factory with iridium plugs. My '03 CRV had OEM iridium plugs that didn't have to be changed until 100K miles (and even then they didn't look bad). My Dad's GMC and Mom's Cadillac are the same - first tune up at 100K. I thought that was the norm these days. I was planning on switching to iridium plugs at 30K. What problems are people having with aftermarket plugs in Tacomas?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Check engine lights were coming on. But not everyone was having problems. I think it was just the luck of the draw. Personally, I don't want the hassle because my luck isn't that great.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Goshawk's Tacoma Gallery
Ok what I am reading is the best thing to do is to stay with the OEM plugs. With that said anyone used the new G3 Diamond fire plugs? Am I asking for trouble trying them and biting on the add campaign that is being done on these plugs?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Those remind me of the old Split Fire spark plugs. I'm sure they work fine, but I doubt they are any better than a high quality regular plug.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Baadboy11 is on a distinguished road
Baadboy11's Tacoma Gallery
Also get yourself a long socket extension if you don't have one 10-12" it makes it 100000x easier.

And I think some folks were having trouble with the diamond fires?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
i just put some ngk iridiums in and it runs like a dream right now, the engine is super smooth compared to before and i dont have anymore engine ticking, its incredible. i just went to kragen/oreilly and got them for like 7 dollars each.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
NGK - Denso, same difference. The V-6 came from the factory with both. (strange I agree).

I just recently did the tune up on my wife's '08 4Runner and used regular NGK spark plugs and it runs great. Sadly enough I found that the previous owner NEVER did a tune up and I had the factory plugs still in place.

Oh, and about the drivers side being difficult, if you have the right tools it is a piece of cake. Wobbly sockets and long extensions can save LOTS of time. I did the Tune-Up, Oil Change, and Tire rotation in about 1 hour. I love air tools!!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
Also get yourself a long socket extension if you don't have one 10-12" it makes it 100000x easier.

And I think some folks were having trouble with the diamond fires?
At first I was bummed about spending 15 dollars at walmart for a set of 3/6/10" extensions, but they quickly earned their value an hour later.

Sue me, poor college kid.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #19
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs

I have a new 10 Tacoma so I haven't had the chance to play with it yet but in my old 93 Hardbody I switched out the original plugs to (I hate to say it because they're made in China) the E3 plugs and I have to tell you they were superb; they smoothed the idle out completely and the tip-in throttle response was frankly unbelievable. The engine would pull from idle in extremely low gearing with absolutely no hesitation. For whatever it's worth, I'm impressed with them. The Splitfire were very good, too. Maybe I'll take a chance at tune up time and see how the Taco likes the E3's.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #20
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
I have a new 10 Tacoma so I haven't had the chance to play with it yet but in my old 93 Hardbody I switched out the original plugs to (I hate to say it because they're made in China) the E3 plugs and I have to tell you they were superb; they smoothed the idle out completely and the tip-in throttle response was frankly unbelievable. The engine would pull from idle in extremely low gearing with absolutely no hesitation. For whatever it's worth, I'm impressed with them. The Splitfire were very good, too. Maybe I'll take a chance at tune up time and see how the Taco likes the E3's.
That's because Nissan sucks and they need all the help they can get!!!

Stick with Toyota parts. NGK - Denso are what came with it. Don't think these trucks need any help they already kick ass!!!!