Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dual Battery Mod

Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Dual Battery Mod

Hi All,
I am in the final stages of my dual battery install for our FJ Cruiser.

Once it is finished I will move onto the Tacoma and do the same mod.
We like to camp and having an auxillary battery isolated from the starting battery is good insurance. I mostly will use if for running our 12-Volt Engel Fridge but eventually will wire offroad lights to the second fuse box.

My question is has anyone done this with their Tacoma and if so where did you mount the second battery?

If you want to check out my install you can see it here.
Happy Friday everyone.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
sweet so post pics when you're done, i am very curious about it :0)
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldytaco05 View Post
sweet so post pics when you're done, i am very curious about it :0)
Sure will.
It has been high on my list of must do mods.
Even before my lift kit.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Sorry for the late reply but hers is my FJ Cruiser Dual Battery install blog I put together.
Now I need to start the research on the Tacoma.
Should be a lot quicker now that I have done it once

http://www.sandiegoracers.com/newblo...attery-Install
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
looking forward to it surf
Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
sak3358 is on a distinguished road

sak3358's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. My first thought was....why do you need another battery? The additional "juice" while camping makes sense...I still have to ask, how much do you use this additional power, what do you have connected and what is the "normal" drainage (I know that is hard to answer unless you have only one item your using on a regular basis). Reason for the questions? I'm trying to justify whether I need to make this mod. Thanks....good link with details.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I, too, am VERY interested in this mod...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldytaco05 View Post
looking forward to it surf
I think with the 2.7 liter I-4 I may have to but a dual tray in the stock battery location.
Otherwise it looks like I will have to move some things around which I am trying to avoid.

Bob
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak3358 View Post
Interesting. My first thought was....why do you need another battery? The additional "juice" while camping makes sense...I still have to ask, how much do you use this additional power, what do you have connected and what is the "normal" drainage (I know that is hard to answer unless you have only one item your using on a regular basis). Reason for the questions? I'm trying to justify whether I need to make this mod. Thanks....good link with details.
More peace of mind than anything.
We do a lot of Desert and Baja camping (once a month or so) and it is nice to know that if you accidentally drain your starting battery you are not stranded.

What is also nice is that the 12-volt plugs I installed that run off the auxillary fuse box are always hot so you do not need to have the key in the ignition.

Bob
Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I, too, am VERY interested in this mod...
I am hoping next month to get this started. I may go with a cheaper kit like the Painless kit but I am looking into it.
Will make sure to post plenty of pictures.

Bob
Old 04-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
If you get the URD intake then you'll open up some good space on the passengers side for a battery.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
You should probably also upgrade your alternator charging wire and add some bigger grounding wires. Adding a 2nd battery increases the load on your alternator. Good wiring will help.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
You should probably also upgrade your alternator charging wire and add some bigger grounding wires. Adding a 2nd battery increases the load on your alternator. Good wiring will help.
Thanks for the advice.
Definetley will upgrade the charging wire.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
If you get the URD intake then you'll open up some good space on the passengers side for a battery.

I will have to look under the hood again since our Tacoma has the 4-banger. I think the layout is a little different.

Interesting that your engine layout is pretty much dead on the same as my FJ Cruiser. Only thing that looks different is that module you have sitting on the passenger side firewall.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #15
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had to take my questions to another thread that pb2themax will have to take a look at, but I am interested in seeing what you do with this.

pb2themax, can you checkout that other thread? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all, first post here...

surfponto, how is that Pwer-Gate isolator working for you, and what did you pay? I will probably be using that isolator as well, but I think they quoted me over $300.00 for it.

I think I am going to do this dual battery setup, which will place the larger battery near my inverter, which is going under the access cab bench seat.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0803...ing/index.html

Here's a thread about my upcoming project...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=254983

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post

surfponto, how is that Pwer-Gate isolator working for you, and what did you pay? I will probably be using that isolator as well, but I think they quoted me over $300.00 for it.

I think I am going to do this dual battery setup, which will place the larger battery near my inverter, which is going under the access cab bench seat.

Thanks.
Welcome to TW!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Welcome to TW!
Hey, thanks Smokey Joe!

Pierced Tiger summoned me here, but during the sign-up process it didn't like his name, or his tatoo's or whatever...

Old 10-31-2008, 04:30 AM   #19
I dub thee malicious!

surfponto, did you ever do the second battery mod?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post

Thanks.
Hey first sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on the forum for a few months.

Anyway the Powergate worked well for me in the FJ Cruiser. It was around $300 for me also.

I think if I do the Tacoma I will go a cheaper route.