1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 TRD gadgets

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grant22, May 4, 2010.

1. May 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    grant22

grant22 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Lake Havasu
    Vehicle:
    N/A
    Please help me understand a few things.....

Is the 2010 TRD the first year to get all the modes and stuff (Atrac etc)?

Are the doodads only available on the 'offroad'?

How important are these gadgets for 90% street, 5% boat ramp, and 5% light off roading?

THX

2. May 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    To answer your questions

1. no
    2. no
    3. All depends on how important they are to you.

First, go to the toyota web site and carefully read up on all the options the tacoma has to offer. Within the 3 main selections - SR5,Sport,Off-Road there are are additional options/packages to choose from.

Second, figure out what your needs and wants are, then decide which one is best for you.
    Go through the many threads on this website for additional information, the search option at the top of the page is very helpful.

Any of the tacoma's will probably be more than enough for your needs
    so it will probably come down to your wants!

3. May 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I made the 9 Modes list for my signature because they are so confusing for newbies to them... The A-TRAC was available starting with 2009 4WD Off Road TRDs. The A-TRAC equiped Tacomas have a hydraulic brake booster with totally enhances the traction performance of AUTO-LSD in H2, TRAC in H4, and A-TRAC in L4. It forces torque to the tires with traction, not to tires spinning in the air or mud or sand. A-TRAC is like lockers front and rear, but without the steering problems lockers create. In TRAC, a free tire may spin a little, in A-TRAC the free tire is 'locked' to the traction tire with almost no added spin. More in the link below my 9 modes list...

4. May 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

1) No. 2009.
    2) For ATRAC and the locker, yes.
    3) Not very. For those uses, any 4x4 taco should romp.

5. May 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Oh yah, the fake hood scoop is the rage! :rolleyes::D

6. May 27, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    DubVeeTaco

DubVeeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road, 4x4, V-6, M/T
    Bed Mat, WV Hitch Cover, 265/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's, XM, Rear leaf TSB, front 5100's at 1.75..
    Do all A-Trac Tacomas have this, or is it just the auto tranny trucks? I have a manual transmission, but the brake pedal feels much firmer and more reassuring than my '10 auto truck pedal did. (Of course this may be just an added benefit of having the manual transmission -- most auto vehicles' brake pedal feels a bit spongy.)

7. May 27, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    My 09 6-speed V6 off road TRD has a stiffer feeling brake pedal than TRD sport automatics that ive driven of the same model year! Good question, im curious about this too

8. May 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    Interesting point.

After wimpy leaf springs and tailgate, the complaint I read about most when researching the truck was spongy brakes. When I test drove my '10 6 speed TRD Sport I was pleasantly surprised that the brakes had a nice firm feel. I never drove an auto to compare though...as that was never gonna happen ;)

9. May 27, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yes, from all I have seen... A-TRAC uses the hydraulic booster... and all other brake functions are enhanced... including the LSD, which is brake created.

My '10 has great brakes... they seem much stronger than my '05 was.

10. May 28, 2010 at 3:42 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Unfortunately, hood scoop is only for looks..:anonymous:

11. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    A follow up to the Memorial Day 2010 Mision Santa Maria trip test of A-TRAC:

My third time in with a 4WD Off Road Tacoma.

The previous two Tacomas ('01 and '05) required the REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKER to climb the Widowmaker and other grades with little difficulty.

The 2010 had A-TRAC activated when in L4, which was at least for 1/3 of the distance to/ from the mission.

The road was rougher and more difficult than any of the previous trips.

The A-TRAC performed perfectly and I NEVER needed or engaged the REAR DIFF. LOCKER!

Being that the road was worse, plus the 3 foot deep water/ mud bog was no problem either (an open diff. 4Runner required pulling through), I have to conclude that A-TRAC is a superior traction system to lockers (front and rear) in the conditions I have used it on: deep sand, steep climbs, deep water/ mud.

The vehicles on our trip with a front locker had to frequently un-lock it any time a sharp turn was required, which was constant on that road. A-TRAC has no effect on steering abilty.

If you don't have an '09 + Off Road 4WD Tacoma (yet) to experience A-TRAC (Active Traction Control), I just am reporting this so you can look forward to this technology and how well it has worked for me in the deserts of California and Baja California, Mexico. I have been four wheeling since the 1960's and A-TRAC is the most impressive traction system I have ever seen or driven.

See my Memorial Day 2010 trip report in the Off Roading forum.

Products Discussed in

To Top