Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

NGK iridium plugs?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
HDFD10 is on a distinguished road
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
NGK iridium plugs?

Hey guys need new plugs and can readily get these at my near by auto parts as i do not live near a dealership. Actually and they also have denso platinum plugs. So which ones should i get??
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend ordering the stock plugs, they are very good. A little on the expensive side, but good.
How many miles do you have on the plugs you have in now?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
stock long life denso iridiums FTW
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
SO far I have been very pleased with my Denso Iridium Powers. I would have gotten the Long Life's if they had them in stock...I don't want to revisit the driver's side plugs anytime soon.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
I would recommend ordering the stock plugs, they are very good. A little on the expensive side, but good.
How many miles do you have on the plugs you have in now?
I HAVE to disagree! the stock plugs are (by all accounts) copper and need to be replaced at 30k. That's pretty much makes them crappy bad and way outdated for modern engines.

Why not change to platinum (or iridium) and change them at least 1/2 as often?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
I HAVE to disagree! the stock plugs are (by all accounts) copper and need to be replaced at 30k. That's pretty much makes them crappy bad and way outdated for modern engines.

So how about denso platinums/ Sound good enough? and while i am at the store what are you all using in your transfer cases. May as well swap that out too.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFD10 View Post
So how about denso platinums/ Sound good enough? and while i am at the store what are you all using in your transfer cases. May as well swap that out too.
I've always liked NGK plugs...but I'm sure Denso are great too. I'd suggest double platinums for longest life.

I pulled the NGK platinums in my Maxima at 60K and the gap was surprisingly close to original and the electrode was still fairly sharp. I went ahead and changed them only 'cause I had $72 dollars worth of brand new plugs for it, otherwise I'd have just regapped and driven another 40k.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
What is this problem i keep hearing with the drivers side front plug. And how do you get around it?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFD10 View Post
What is this problem i keep hearing with the drivers side front plug. And how do you get around it?
This might help.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 05-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Thank you
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Goshawk's Tacoma Gallery
I learned about one plug to stay away from and that is the Diamond Fire E3. Both the auto stores I frequent say they have had customers that installed them and the end of the plugs got so hot they burnt off, fell into the cylinder and scored the pistons and walls. True or not, not really sure but not willing to take a chance either.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Just use all DENSO, Toyota uses Denso on the Drivers side and NGK on the passenger from the factory but its easier to just use all Denso. Toyota recommends you change them every 60K.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
When I changed my stock plugs I had Denso in the left side and NGK on the right side from the factory...Just replaced them all with NGK
Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine last week, used Denso stock plugs. Paid 3.00 each. Used the DIY on this site. Great instructions.

PS....I think it was Chris 4x4 that put them up, take note to how he taped off his plug socket......your going to want to do that. I learned on my first plug.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Just use all DENSO, Toyota uses Denso on the Drivers side and NGK on the passenger from the factory but its easier to just use all Denso. Toyota recommends you change them every 60K.
It's 30k miles
Old 05-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post

The OEM plugs are not "Bad". They are designed to run with the ignition requirements that Toyota paid big bucks to a bunch of engineers to deisgn. And at the propper heat range. Useing Platinum, iridium, or whatever, is a waste. In some cases, a Check engine light has been thrown when useing them. Aside from "maybe" lasting longer, they offer no advantage over the OEM Nickle/copper plugs.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
Insert nonsense here
rmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura about

rmerchant3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The OEM plugs are not "Bad". They are designed to run with the ignition requirements that Toyota paid big bucks to a bunch of engineers to deisgn. And at the propper heat range. Useing Platinum, iridium, or whatever, is a waste. In some cases, a Check engine light has been thrown when useing them. Aside from "maybe" lasting longer, they offer no advantage over the OEM Nickle/copper plugs.

This made me laugh
Old 05-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerchant3 View Post
This made me laugh
Care to elaborate as to why?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #19
Insert nonsense here
rmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura about

rmerchant3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Care to elaborate as to why?
It's just that you were correct in your first statement as to say that Toyota designed the truck to run with copper plugs. But to state that these are best for the truck is by far a longshot. Toyota pays engineers hundreds of thousands of dollars to engineer these cars. But to what standards? It's not always to be the "best". I can assure you that regular plugs were used to cut down on the cost of the vehicle. You would be amazed at what manufactures do to cut in every area they can. (ever seen a higher end Acura or Lexus with standard plugs?)

Platinum and iridium offer MANY advantages over copper plugs. Longer life is the number one fact. Copper plugs need to be replaced every 30K due to the wearable center electrode. Platinum and Iridium are much more resilient metals and can take the heat and extreme pressures that the combustion chamber produces. I've changed thousands of iridium plugs at 100K and they still looked brand new besides some normal carbon buildup. These metals also allow for a sharper center electrode therefore creating a better more consistent spark. This in turn leads to better gas mileage and better horsepower and torque readings. Are the gains significant? No...not in a stock application, but they are there.

Just a little something i found as well...

||Metal|| ||Melting Point|| ||Electrical Conductivity|| ||Thermal Conductivity||
||Copper|| ||1083 C|| ||.596 x 10^6|| ||400 W/(m K)||
||Platinum|| ||1768 C|| ||.0966 x 10^6|| ||72 W/(m K)||
||Iridium|| ||2410 C|| ||.197 x 10^6|| ||150 W/(m K)||

The higher the number for conductivity the more conductive the metal is. In terms of thermal conductivity the higher the number the faster it can dissipate heat away from the tip of the center electrode.

These numbers will show why some people still use copper plugs in an turbo engine. But for everyday applications, put the iridiums in there and save yourself the hassle and money of changing them 1 time vs 4 times in the time that the iridiums will last.

Copper
$3.00 X 6 = $18.00
18 X 4 = $72.00

Iridium
$7.50 X 6 = $45.00

(If you change every 30K with copper and 120K with the iridiums)

BTW I meant no offence in my comment Just my nature.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerchant3 View Post
You were correct in your first statement as to say that Toyota designed the truck to run with regular plugs. But to state that these are best for the truck is by far a longshot. Toyota pays engineers hundreds of thousands of dollars to engineer these cars. But to what standards? It's not always to be the "best". I can assure you that regular plugs were used to cut down on the cost of the vehicle. You would be amazed at what manufactures do to cut in every area they can. (ever seen a higher end Acura or Lexus with standard plugs?)

Platinum and iridium offer MANY advantages over standard plugs. Longer life is the number one fact. Standard plugs need to be replaced every 30K due to the wearable center electrode. Platinum and Iridium are much more resilient metals and can take the heat and extreme pressures that the combustion chamber produces. I've changed thousands of iridium plugs at 100K and they still looked brand new besides some normal carbon buildup. These metals also allow for a sharper center electrode therefore creating a better more consistent spark. This in turn leads to better gas mileage and better horsepower and torque readings. Are the gains significant? No...not in a stock application, but they are there.

Just a little something i found as well...

||Metal|| ||Melting Point|| ||Electrical Conductivity|| ||Thermal Conductivity||
||Copper|| ||1083 C|| ||.596 x 10^6|| ||400 W/(m K)||
||Platinum|| ||1768 C|| ||.0966 x 10^6|| ||72 W/(m K)||
||Iridium|| ||2410 C|| ||.197 x 10^6|| ||150 W/(m K)||

The higher the number for conductivity the more conductive the metal is. In terms of thermal conductivity the higher the number the faster it can dissipate heat away from the tip of the center electrode.

You will not get HP gains, or MPG gains from a plug change. Maybe on an older vehicle, but not a modern one. I said the Iridium plugs and Platinum may last longer, but they offer no other benafit to these engines.