LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

U-Joint Replacement

Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
fixedforbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

fixedforbroke's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy U-Joint Replacement

Has anyone had their U-Joints replaced and how much was the total repair bill? I'm currently looking at replacing both U-joints and the carrier bearing. Also, I'm at 79,000 miles and consider myself to be an average driver. I feel like these wore out prematurely but, I'll admit I'm not that good with these things so I could be wrong.

Any advice, comments, experiences, stories, jokes or otherwise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
rokjaxon is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: John
rokjaxon's Tacoma Gallery
My tacoma is at the dealer now getting the U-joints replaced. I am at app. 55,000 miles and noticed a little vibration while shifting gears about 20 mph. I have an automatic so my symptoms may differ. I just called to get an update and mine is covered under the 60,000 powertrain warranty so I'm good. I am a normal driver also and I believe they did go bad prematurely.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #3

I guess "it just happens" as the saying goes
Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
chozomo is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
chozomo's Tacoma Gallery
Do you grease them regularly?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #5

Honestly no i never have. I made the false assumption that the dealer would when they did their "127 point inspection". I should of asked I guess.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozomo View Post
Do you grease them regularly?
If he has a prerunner, you can't grease them.

fixedforbroke do you have a prerunner or 4x4?

**edit nevermind I see you have a prerunner**
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #7

chozomo's Tacoma Gallery
I think they do grease but not enough to satisfy. If you do decide to start make sure that the grease comes out all four caps otherwise you will still not really be helping it any more.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozomo View Post
I think they do grease but not enough to satisfy. If you do decide to start make sure that the grease comes out all four caps otherwise you will still not really be helping it any more.
There aren't any zerks to add grease to the prerunner U-joints
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #9

chozomo's Tacoma Gallery
Lame
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
i was just told that one of three u joints is making noise....quote was 80 for part and 150 labor is that decent price for one... out of warranty and at 92000 miles
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
U-joint replacements are comparatively easy on the wallet (IME w/ Nissan pickup & '64 Volvo).

That's another reason rear wheel drive rocks over front wheel drive IMHO.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians05taco View Post
i was just told that one of three u joints is making noise....quote was 80 for part and 150 labor is that decent price for one... out of warranty and at 92000 miles
That labor rate is high... (3) u-joints at $80 isn't outlandish, but I've not priced them for the Tacoma.

Not a hard job to do, in fact you can install them yourself with little effort and basic hand tools.

Edit: Just noticed that the $80 was for one drive shaft u-joint? Good grief... that's nuts.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
I had the U-joints after the transfer case replaced at 213k. The rear U joint is still going strong at 226k. The carrier bearing is still original as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #14
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
welll mine is in the shop today, let yall know what the damage is lol
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I had a U-joint replaced at 110,000 miles I think. I had Goodyear do it & I think I paid $79 or $109, I don't remember the exact cost.
Yeah no zerk fittings on the Pre-runner. Can't lube the U-Joints.

Now at 171,000 miles, I think I have a wheel bearing going bad.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $12 for each U-joint on my prerunner. I got greasable ones so I could keep them greased. $80 is INSANE! I did the work myself, it was a pain in the butt, but well worth the money saved.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
These are super easy to change. Just DIY. Lots of money saved.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanTRDmachine View Post
What sound do they make when going bad? I made another thread this morning saying it sounded like nubby tires on the road?
Would tht be U joints?
When mine went out I had a vibration in the floorboard. Then at slow speeds it felt like my wheels were egg shaped, it was lunging. Nubby tire is a good explanation.