Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer Install Write-up

Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer Install Write-up

So I just received my new Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer from AutoAnything. The spacer goes for less than $130.

While this isn't an overly complicated install, I figured this would at least give me a chance to work on my write-up skills!!

Before I begin, please read the following disclaimer-- This write-up is only to show how I performed this install. I am not an experienced technician, therefore my advice may not be completely true. This write-up also is not intended to treat any illnesses, including, but not limited to, smallpox, chickenpox, AIDS, HIV, Hepatitises (A, B, or C), Yellow Jaundice, any kind of rash, or anal leakage.

I am starting with a K&N already installed. So if you have the stock intake still on, there's a bit more disassembling to do.

1. (Obviously) Disconnect negative side of battery.

2. Remove the air hose from the throttle body assembly.

3.Remove the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake.

4. This is the throttle body spacer. The instructions say to mount it with the Flow arrow pointing towards the intake. However, there is no Flow arrow. Instead, there is an impression of the words "T.B. Side" (Throttle Body Side). This is the side that mounts against the throttle body. (Whoda thunk??)

5. Put the gasket in between the "T.B. Side" of the spacer and the air intake hose.

6. Using the longer bolts that come with the spacer, mount the throttle body back onto the intake.

7. DON'T FORGET TO REATTACH THE NEGATIVE LEAD ON THE BATTERY!!

When finished, should look something like this...

I have not had enough time to verify the 4mpg claim the package makes (Anyone want to bet me that it will??). The only thing I have noticed thus far is a cool whistling noise. Stay tuned for updates!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nice writeup. I will say that you wasted your money on this product though.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Good write-up. I have a TBS on mine and I'll have to say there are no gains besides a whistling noise. I woudln't/won't buy another one, but I've got it now and might as well keep it on. but good write-up!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
TACO SUPREME
c0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MKC/E7
Name: Dennis
c0astie31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to c0astie31
why do people do this?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
cuz its his money and he can spend it how he wants?

dont bash the guy cuz he went and bought this when it adds no gain.

the point of the thread is for anyone else like him who spent money on this for an easy install how-to.

good write up and thread IMHO.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0astie31 View Post
why do people do this?
to gain "FUEL efficiency, low end TORQUE, and more POWER"....cant you read the package!!

shoot, it will take just over 4 tank fulls to get his money back w/ the 4mpg increase it WILL give him!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I really wonder how companies still sell these. Has any reputable organization done studies on this. Hell has myth busters tackled these things. OP great write up however.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
There will definitely be an increase in mpg due to wallet weight reduction.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up.

Tag so I can see what these things do.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
I have not had enough time to verify the 4mpg claim the package makes (Anyone want to bet me that it will??). The only thing I have noticed thus far is a cool whistling noise. Stay tuned for updates!!
have you tracked your mileage reliably before the install? a good update would be some good data on this and so we all can see if you really do get that 4mpg increase!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Should have put two of them in for an 8 mpg gain
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Not bashing... but curious... what the hell is even on that thing that would make people think it does... anything? Looks like just a spacer..
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Not bashing... but curious... what the hell is even on that thing that would make people think it does... anything? Looks like just a spacer..
are you color blind? its freaking red. . . ofc its gonna be awesome.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
nice writeup, however per chris4x4: throttle body spacers have no benefits other than sound on our trucks.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
are you color blind? its freaking red. . . ofc its gonna be awesome.
LOL, nice
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #17
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
philobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant future

Name: - philo
philobeddoe's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to philobeddoe
i love cool whistling noises
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
i love cool whistling noises
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skUHJYyyBp0
Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #19
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #20
Forging Elite Fitness
TACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Mike
TACODACKS's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Pictures help out alot.