1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to make my new truck last?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Iram, May 5, 2010.

1. May 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    Iram

Iram [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Good morning,

I recently bought a new Tacamo, and I'm planning to drive this thing until it becomes too expensive to maintain. My previous car was a 1994 Camry with 201k miles that I bought used; I'm hoping to get a similiar life out of my 2010 Tacoma.

Are there any recommendations on maintenance beyond what's in the manual?

It's a 2010 Tacoma, Standard Cab, Automatic transmission, 4 cylinder engine, RWD, with the "Enhancement Package" (radio, air conditioning). I typically drive around 9.5k miles/year, about 50% city, 45% highway, and 5% dirt roads.

Thanks.

2. May 5, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    Drive it.

3. May 5, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    YotaDude01

YotaDude01 Kentucky Boy

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01' TRD off-road
    well my family has owned toyota for a few years now and our first one was a late 80's pickup and we got over 300000 miles on it. now my father has an 01 thats goin on 200000 and has never been in the shop. I also have an 01 but with only 87000.

basically all we do is change the oil and do the regular maintainance on them (change air filter, new plugs stuff like that). and at around 90 to 100000 will get the timing belt and get all the fluids drained. so basically just do the regular maintainence that toyota suggests you to do and you should have no problem getting well over 200000 out of it.

4. May 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Wash regularly...at least once every two weeks...and be sure to get the underbody. Keep an eye out for rust and nip it in the bud with proper sanding and painting...follow the regular maintenance schedule...that's about it...

5. May 5, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    PreRunner

PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    undercoating, wax, mobile 1 5w-20.

6. May 5, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yep, biggest thing is rust from salt thrown on roads during winter. Keep that off and these things will run for a long ass time.

7. May 5, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Sounds like you have yourself a 20 year truck. My first Toyota pickup was a '79 that lasted ten years and my '09 is also on a ten year plan averaging 20,000 miles per year.

Change the oil and filter every 3500 miles (I use dino oil since it's changed so frequently), replace other fluids, lubricants and plugs at specified intervals, change your belts, hoses and plug wires every five years, use a hard polymer wax as directed, wash the vehicle frequently (especially if bugs and other biological substances such a bird crap get on the paint, they will eat the paint if left on too long, love bugs are the worst) with a wash dtergent that won't take the wax off (like dish detergent will, though its good to use Dawn when preparing for the wax because it takes off grease and oil, too, and leaves your paint very clean for wax), get some seat covers and good floor mats to keep the interior looking decent, put in a decent aftermarket sound system and enjoy your rise.

Products Discussed in

To Top