1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long for spring TSB parts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by buddywh1, May 5, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    mine took a month to come in, but they put them on right away

2. May 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Almost two weeks to get the parts...three more days wait till the appointed time...and one day to make the deed done. Almost three weeks from first driving in.

BUT WOW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I am MORE than happy to say good bye to that squirrely soccer mom SUV ride and get a taught- sprung truck with load carrying capability!

Seriously though, it's not just the ability to carry the full load; it's about the handling...even empty. It's actually lively now - responsive - sure footed. I feel like I know where it's pointed and more comfortable in it's movement over the road because I can 'feel' the road now, instead of the yawing and pitching of the over-soft suspension. That's the only way to describe it.

I KNOW it will be a lot more confidence inspiring off-road too.

Dealer's workmanship was less than awe-inspiring though. Left a big dirt smudge on the front passenger seat and somehow bent the front stone shield so the right front tire caught the edge at left turn steering lock making me think the shock or spring had broken loose or something worse! I hope this isn't a harbinger of more serious issues that will crop up down the road.

Oh well...I suppose I should just enjoy the new ride!

3. May 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    jdcrowe75

jdcrowe75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Called dealer about TSB. Told me to bring it in to be checked, which I did. Said yes there is a rear shackle TSB (????). When I said I thought the TSB was for rear springs the guy said "No springs on the back, springs are on the front, just shackles on rear". Air head. Brought it in for replacement and all they did was replaced with another set of new 3-leaf springs. Called the service manager and he said bring it in again. It's there right now, they gave me a loaner this time. Service writer said the parts guys substituted springs in stock instead of ordering the TSB parts. Should be done tomorrow. We'll see.

4. May 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    I took my truck in today because of the sag and the hated TACO LEAN ! It was driving me crazy. The Service tech was pretty cool. I went in at 9:30 AM and left at 1:30 PM with an estimate of $ 1.825.84 . The Manager would not budge when he saw that I was over the 36.000 miles. He was quick to tell me that they would gladly fix it if I bought an extended warranty or came out pocket. Aparently he thinks you can only buy leaf spring sets from Toyota. He convinced himself that I would be back there to buy the parts at a minimum. I hope he's holding his breath !

5. May 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    If over 36K and out of warranty he should hold firm that it's not covered or he'll pay for it himself. But if you call Toyota and ask them nicely to help and they just might!

The 'stock' springs aren't bad, just weak as a 3 leaf pack. Others have put in an AAL and it's done the same thing for a lot cheaper than an entire new 4 leaf pack (in case you can't get Toyota to help.) A set of Bilstein's all around and you get the whole thing for at least 1/2, maybe 1/4 the price of the TSB to you.

6. May 13, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I seem to remember, when I was young myself, old-timers always referred to leaf springs as 'shackles'. It confused me no end 'cause I always thought that only meant the double-hinged brackets that mount the leafs to the frame at either end.

If there's any doubt though, just print the TSB and take it in with you.

7. May 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    PRBulldog36

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    I called Toyota and after a 35 minute phone call they politely told me no. Would it make sense to do a AAL on failed leaf springs ? I do have Billie's all the way around. The leaf springs have just failed miserably .

8. May 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4

Bummer...sorry to hear it didn't work out for ya...

I'm really not sure how well an AAL would work...but maybe you could try a helper spring first. Something like this, they simply bolt on over the existing spring with a U clamp:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/Newman180/helper-springs-2.jpg

You can get a set for $29 at Autozone. Maybe not a long-term solution, but if they help that would suggest an AAL, done proper, would work even better. If they do nothing, then very little is lost.

I seem to remember reading that there are some very good aftermarket leaf packs available for the tacoma, and they're cheaper than OEM too. Search around TW a bit...or TacomaTerritory...you'll find the links, I'm sure.

By the way, I was considering doing something similar when I was worried my dealer would crap out on me and I'd not get the TSB under warranty.

9. May 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    PRBulldog36

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:

I called Valley Spring Svc in Phoenix today. I explained my dilema to them and he told me that they do alot of Tacoma's. They Carry a 3 pack made by Triangle for $ 289.00 per side, and they do custom work which will cost just about the same, without the mark-up. The U-Bolts run from $ 45.00 - $ 60.00 and they would install for $ 150.00 . I have an appointment with them in the morning. This is over $ 1.000 cheaper than Toyota .

Products Discussed in

To Top