Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The NOOB ASK Questions Thread!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #61
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
air bags. air them up when carrying a load, and let the air out when not in use (not all the air. keep a couple psi in there so it doesnt crack the air bag).

there is a few companies, but i know firestone makes some... (not firestone tires)
Thank you
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #62
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
Whats a Tacoma???
What isn't a Tacoma?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #63
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBawlzTaco View Post
What isn't a Tacoma?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaYoter View Post
Is it possible to mount a winch behind the stock bumper on a first gen?
I don't think so...there's not really enough space for a winch that'd be capable of pulling you out in a jam

But anything is possible I guess
Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #65
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Since most people use a winch once in a blue moon, if at all, for most of their driving a removable one is sometimes a valid option.

Google "front mount universal receiver for Toyota pickup" and "universal receiver winch mount" for an example of a relatively inexpensive winch attachment solution.

A universal receiver mounted winch will also allow you to winch your truck backward as well as forward.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #66
Silva is on a distinguished road
Silva's Tacoma Gallery
OK guys and gals I have a lot. I want to fit 285's, i know ill need a lift but I'm either going with a three inch or new shocks. I have a stock set up right now and I wanted to know the mods required to fit 285's. Also saying i get them to fit will I need a gear swap to compensate for the heavier tires and lift/shocks? And what size rims look better with 285's, 16's or 17's?

And is it worth getting wheel spacers? I know I will probably need them to fit the tires but I am worried about my paint getting chipped. And no I will not be going off road. And however I lift the truck either with shocks or the three inch lift I still want to try an keep it as smooth as possible and is there any more additions to make it smooth after the lift. Feel free to PM me or email with suggestions or tips.

Thanks,

Silva
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #67
They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.
billas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant future

Name: Joel
billas333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to billas333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
OK guys and gals I have a lot. I want to fit 285's, i know ill need a lift but I'm either going with a three inch or new shocks. I have a stock set up right now and I wanted to know the mods required to fit 285's. Also saying i get them to fit will I need a gear swap to compensate for the heavier tires and lift/shocks? And what size rims look better with 285's, 16's or 17's?

And is it worth getting wheel spacers? I know I will probably need them to fit the tires but I am worried about my paint getting chipped. And no I will not be going off road. And however I lift the truck either with shocks or the three inch lift I still want to try an keep it as smooth as possible and is there any more additions to make it smooth after the lift. Feel free to PM me or email with suggestions or tips.

Thanks,

Silva
Damn Noobs, j/k I asked all the same Q's about a year ago.

Too fit 285s you will need a 3inch lift or higher set-up whatever that maybe. You can get all new coilovers or you can simply get new coils and perhaps a spacer. Recommended is to do the coilovers because I did the spacer and hated it so i went and bought coilovers.

You will need to remove the front mud flaps to clear the 285s as well as cut some of the thin plastic fender liner. Pretty simple thing to do. Re-gearing is not necessary to run 285's. I have 17s and love them. Spacers are not required depending on your wheel setup. If you get new wheels the backspacing of them makes a difference. Check out the wheels tire thread fo rmore info on that.

If you get it aligned right and have a good lift setup you should me good to go
Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #68
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel spacers are like body lifts...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #69
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Ok heres my idea, King replacement coilovers are a great ride, but when cranking them it becomes less desireable. Would it be possible to have Downsouthmotorsports make me a shock 3 inches too long, and have no preload and get 3 inches of lift?

Also to inform everbody if you get a supercharger get 886s because you only get about 2 inches of lift from 885s. 100 pounds in the engine bay is about the same as a winch i believe
Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #70
wolfeye is on a distinguished road

wolfeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
It's possible. Go to advanced search and look for member SecretSquirrel. He has 885 coils with 5100s set at .85. I asked him about it before and he said it gives him more than 3 inches of lift. He also recommended doing the front differential drop.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
I'm running the diff drop, appreciate you steering me in the right direction. 5100's in the rear set to the top setting wont raise the rear end will it?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #71
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
thanks! picking some up at Home Depot tonight!
Just picked some up. Works like a charm!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #72
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
subbed so I can help out the NOOB's on here without em gettin flamed.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #73
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know how much it costs to regear a 4x4 taco at 4.56 gears
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #74
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTron View Post
does anyone know how much it costs to regear a 4x4 taco at 4.56 gears
$1.27...ish
Old 05-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #75
-Empty-
KaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaoskrewPB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
KaoskrewPB's Tacoma Gallery
I just got icon CO's and have mid travel,
if I were to get the all pro LT kit, do I have to get new CO's?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #76
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeye View Post
I'm running the diff drop, appreciate you steering me in the right direction. 5100's in the rear set to the top setting wont raise the rear end will it?
I don't think you can raise the 5100s in the rear. It's not adjustable (maybe someone else can chime in on this). I think what most people do is install an AAL 1.5" - 2" AAL or even a custom leaf pack from Wheelersoffroad.com.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #77
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
I don't think you can raise the 5100s in the rear. It's not adjustable (maybe someone else can chime in on this). I think what most people do is install an AAL 1.5" - 2" AAL or even a custom pack leaf from Wheelersoffroad.com.
Correct, the only way to raise the back of your taco is with an AAL, new leaf pack, or a block.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #78
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoskrewPB View Post
I just got icon CO's and have mid travel,
if I were to get the all pro LT kit, do I have to get new CO's?
If you're adding more travel to your suspension, wouldn't you need a longer shock that can travel that much?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #79
SoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalBlack08's Tacoma Gallery
wow im impressed! this thread is actually kinda working
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #80
It's a work in progress.

Ok so here's my stupid question, what maintenance am I overlooking?

I bought my truck at 68,XXX mi and its at about 100,8XX mi right now. I was lagging, as for as maintenance goes, for a while. I changed the oil fairly regularly, brakes jobs, new tires/balancing, and greased UCA's and leaf springs in my shop classes. Less than 10,000 miles ago I had to have the diff. seal replaced so the diff fluid is new. Within the past couple months changed spark plugs and tranny fluid. I don't think I've done anything else. Recently I've been wanting to get it running better and start taking better care of it.

What else do I need to get done? I have looked at the Toyota Standard Maintenance Chart and found a lot of things that I know I can't do; tightening body/frame screws, tightening propeller shaft, and coolant replacement... I'm going to The Truck Shop soon to get the 100,000mi service work done, but is that all I should worry about?