Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Accessory Meter

Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
ochoa104 is on a distinguished road
ochoa104's Tacoma Gallery
Accessory Meter

Hey everybody

A week ago I started having trouble with the accessory meter in my 06 Tacoma. Two days ago the meter went out. I looked to see if it was a fuse and did not find anything wrong. Does anyone know how to fix my accessory meter?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, it is a common failure but generally an easy fix. You need to remove the meter console from the roof. Remove the single screw and grasp the sides and pull down firmly. Don't pull too far as there are wiring connectors to undo. Once you get the assy. out, remove the meter circuit board.

What has happened is there are large flat gray/black resistors on that circuit board that have come unsoldered to the PCB. If you can't solder, take the circuit board into a TV repair place and have them solder the resistors for you. Have them cake on the solder at the ends of those resistors so this will not happen again. Once done plug the circuit board back up to verify it works and installation is now the reverse of removal. BTW, the factory charges around $900 for that part! Thankfully most say this takes care of the dead compass/temp. gauge situation.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
amastalerz is on a distinguished road
amastalerz's Tacoma Gallery
how to pull console down

I removed the screw but it looks like there are tabs after the sunglass holder above the felt roof. Is there a trick to this?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
There are "fixed" tabs in the front by the sunglasses holder. DO NOT PULL DOWN FROM HERE! You'll rip the ceiling! Almost happened to me... As 45longcolt said, pull down firmly from either the sides (towards the front) or the front. There are two tabs that have metal clips on them just above the temp/compass gauge. When I pulled mine off, these metal clips came off of their plastic tab mount and made a loud clanging - I thought I broke it! But, these metal clips will just go right back on the plastic tab for you to push back into the ceiling.

I hope this made sense (between the front, back, top, metal clips, plastic tabs, etc...)

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
kaayvang is on a distinguished road
Name: Kaay
kaayvang's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks alot!!! I was able to fix my Accessory Meter.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Tacomatruck is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Tacomatruck's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you

Your description on how to repair the Accessory Meter was perfect. I joined the forum to say thank you.

Joe
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
shineybuffalo is on a distinguished road
Name: Roy
shineybuffalo's Tacoma Gallery
Removing Accessory Meter

I will be trying to repair the accessory meter on my 05 Tacoma in the next couple of days. I will post a reply to how it goes for me. I do want to thank everyone for posting info on how to get to this part.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
evile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant future

evile's Tacoma Gallery
Im dumb wtf is an accessory meter and why is it broke
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by evile View Post
Im dumb wtf is an accessory meter and why is it broke
I'm presuming the temperature gauge/compass... but I was also confused by the term.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
evile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant future

evile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
I'm presuming the temperature gauge/compass... but I was also confused by the term.
AH why dont we just call it the Compass/outside temp display because thats what it really is. Im sitting here drinking my rum going WTF is an accessory meter.

BTW mine went out last year. I got by with the Fonz technique.. smack it and it works for a few months then got it replaced under my ESP warranty
Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
shineybuffalo is on a distinguished road
Name: Roy
shineybuffalo's Tacoma Gallery
Accessory Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybuffalo View Post
I will be trying to repair the accessory meter on my 05 Tacoma in the next couple of days. I will post a reply to how it goes for me. I do want to thank everyone for posting info on how to get to this part.
Itook my accessory meter out last week and one 510 resistor was missing completely from the Board. The display also had a burned spot so I went to my local dealer and bought a new accessory meter (which they had in stock) and installed it and it works fine. The compass only required that I drive in a circle and it was set and working fine. I paid $118 for the part.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybuffalo View Post
Itook my accessory meter out last week and one 510 resistor was missing completely from the Board. The display also had a burned spot so I went to my local dealer and bought a new accessory meter (which they had in stock) and installed it and it works fine. The compass only required that I drive in a circle and it was set and working fine. I paid $118 for the part.

That burn in the corner was normal. All you had to do is solder the 510 connector edges and it will work fine.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
jleo9625 is on a distinguished road
Army: 66th MP Company
Name: John
jleo9625's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks everyone,
This worked for me as well. I have a 2007 and had the same issue. I became very clear when i Found it was labled 510 so i sodered them and now it works great.

Thanks again
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
jgray is on a distinguished road
Name: josh
jgray's Tacoma Gallery
I did the solder shit but now my meter doesn't read the temp.lol
Old 12-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evile View Post
AH why dont we just call it the Compass/outside temp display because thats what it really is. Im sitting here drinking my rum going WTF is an accessory meter.
Toyota calls it the accessory meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
That burn in the corner was normal. All you had to do is solder the 510 connector edges and it will work fine.
I've been trying to get the word out on that (with regards to the "burn" mark), hence my sig. Too many people assume it's bad!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
gforce is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gforce's Tacoma Gallery
Worked like a charm

Just as explained in the earlier posts the burn mark is normal, I thought the AM was burned out until I read the thread. Once I found the 510 connectors it took me a couple of minutes to see both were cracked because they are so small, soldered them both and works like a charm! I'm guessing cold weather is what makes the solder areas to fail, because that is when mine started acting up. Thanks for the thread just saved me some serious cash!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
Orangeblood is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Orangeblood's Tacoma Gallery
The fix for the meter was spot on! Only advice I'd offer is that the solder gun I used had a large tip. The 510 resistors are very small. I needed to use a small solder tip.
Thanks for the help guys. It really did take 10 minutes or less!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Summit1 is on a distinguished road
Summit1's Tacoma Gallery
2006 accessory meter

I followed the soldering instructions but my accessory meter still not working...any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #19
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
I followed the soldering instructions but my accessory meter still not working...any suggestions?
Is the accessory meter getting power?

If so, then I'd check the connections, then re-check your repair.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
itzmejaybe is on a distinguished road
Name: BJ
itzmejaybe's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem with the tabs that came off and now trying to get the gauge off the main unit. Star screws is what it looks like to take out and still wonderin about the soldering deal. Any help would help!!