Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tinting Tail lights

Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
xxcjtxx is on a distinguished road
Name: CJ
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
Tinting Tail lights

I have read a couple write ups but i still have some questions.

Some people say sand/wet sand them then use rubbing compounds and polish and all this stuff and others say just clean them real well and spray a couple coats of nightshade on them.

Oh and what about paint adhesive? will that work as a substitute for sanding?

Which is better?

Also, what is the best way to get that 3rd light done? just tape newspaper around it?

Making up my list right now about to go to NAPA

Got VHT nightshade (1 can?)
Krylon gloss clear coat
headlight restore kit?
then if sanding turns out to be the best way ill add
green scotch pad
rubbing compound
plastx

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
add 2000 grit sand paper to that list. you want to scuff up the lights before you paint to get the paint to fully bond with the plastic.

After your spray your clear you will want to wet sand again with 2000, then use the platix to buff out the dull'ness.

for the 3rd brake light you can take it off, its just a little cover on there. same steps for this as well

I just did mine but in reverse order, removing old tint from my tails

here is the complete step by step write up

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-way-pics.html
Old 05-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
alright i will get 2000 grit sandpaper instead of the scotch green pad

3 coats of shade and 1 of clear coat is perfect right? or more coats for darker?

and do i need the rubbing compound? what does that even do
Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
3 coats is a little dark... and more clear coats
Old 05-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this write up. I'm going to be doing this to my 06's and 2010's here pretty soon.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-way-pics.html
Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcjtxx View Post
awesome thanks
No problem!! If you use that method let me know how it turns out. I will probably tint my sets next week sometime. I have everything except for some 800 grit sandpaper. Watch how many coats you put on of that nightshade stuff too. I know someone that did 2 coats and it came out pretty dark. I might just do 1 coat and call it good.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
yea ill take b4 and afters

no idea how long it'll take.

drying times the worst...
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcjtxx View Post
yea ill take b4 and afters

no idea how long it'll take.

drying times the worst...
Yeah I think they said around 4 hours or so. So it will take a bit of time I presume. I am going to tint my 06's first one day then do the 2010's some other day.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Niteshades, clean em off with alcohol and then spray 3 to 4 coats then add a couple clear coats and be done with it. I did this and have had zero problems with my lights. you dont need to sand.

Edit: Oh and dont forget the 3rd brakelight i noticed it one day walking up to my pickup, it stuck out pretty good.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
you were actually the guy i was talking about when i said some people say no sanding hahah
Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
Niteshades, clean em off with alcohol and then spray 3 to 4 coats then add a couple clear coats and be done with it. I did this and have had zero problems with my lights. you dont need to sand.

Edit: Oh and dont forget the 3rd brakelight i noticed it one day walking up to my pickup, it stuck out pretty good.
How long have you had them tinted for? From the looks of your pics, they dont seem to be to shiny. But thats good on your truck though cause it matches the color of the truck.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that Nightshades doesnt come out very glossy anyways. but the more clear coat the more glossy it'll be. I never wash the thing so that could be most of the problem it gets it about every 6 months or if i'm taking it somewhere special...Awwwwwww

Edit: I'll have to look at my build to see how long...i cant remember. I know one day a guy followed me home to find out how i did them and i gave him the rest of my can and the instructions

Edit: well hell it looks like it has been a full year this month!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post

Edit: I'll have to look at my build to see how long...i cant remember. I know one day a guy followed me home to find out how i did them and i gave him the rest of my can and the instructions
I dont want anyone following me home haha