Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which AIR Filter Do You Use?

View Poll Results: What AIR Filter are You Using?
AFE Pro Dry S 763 18.32%
AFE Oil 49 1.18%
K&N Oil 1,252 30.07%
Green Oil 6 0.14%
TRD Oil 196 4.71%
FRAM 206 4.95%
Stock 1,441 34.61%
Other 251 6.03%
Voters: 4164. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #381
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The manual recommends a new air filter every 30K miles or 36 months for normal use. I paid $14 for a Fram air filter from Walmart. An AFE Dry Flo costs $70. It will take 150K miles or 15 years to recover the cost of an AFE filter. Also the stock paper filter will do a better job at filtering out crap from the engine.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #382
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Someone already did the math and it takes quite some time for that "lifetime" filter to pay for itself.

My AFE Pro Dry was on sale for $50. The OEM filters were costing $20. My AFE paid for itself after 3 changes.

I'm at 90k miles, so I should have already had 3 filter changes. I've saved $10 over the OEM filters.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #383
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
My AFE Pro Dry was on sale for $50.
yeah, just bought a dry flo s cone for 50 shipped. 30k? not me. I clean my washable filters more than once every 3 yrs. Both my vehicles have washable filters and I do about 9k a yr on both of them. I also plan on a million miles of ownership on any Toyota I buy. Others are of course free to do as they choose. It may not be worth it for all, I understand that. If I leased or traded cars in every few yrs then I wouldn't waste time modding or changing a thing on them.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #384
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The manual recommends a new air filter every 30K miles or 36 months for normal use. I paid $14 for a Fram air filter from Walmart. An AFE Dry Flo costs $70. It will take 150K miles or 15 years to recover the cost of an AFE filter. Also the stock paper filter will do a better job at filtering out crap from the engine.
After market better for offroading since u have to change filters more often. Also increased airflow over oem setup
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #385
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
My AFE Pro Dry was on sale for $50. The OEM filters were costing $20. My AFE paid for itself after 3 changes.

I'm at 90k miles, so I should have already had 3 filter changes. I've saved $10 over the OEM filters.
So $10 saved and got more dirt in your engine. Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
After market better for offroading since u have to change filters more often. Also increased airflow over oem setup
Higher flow means more dirt in the engine. Not worth the .4 hp gain with the higher flow filter.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #386
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
So....

How many microns does the oem paper block and how many does the aFe dry flo s block? or the K&N? And for how long? Just saying it without any numbers to go with it is just kind of hollow. Narrow down the more dirt in engine for us. More dirt in engine could mean dusty environment vs. in-town cement environment regardless of filter type.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #387
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
So $10 saved and got more dirt in your engine. Doesn't make sense to me.

Higher flow means more dirt in the engine. Not worth the .4 hp gain with the higher flow filter.
Need more power for my slow truck. Havent had a problem yet with my amsoil filter. 180k. Just keep it clean and oiled after offroading
Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #388
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
So....

How many microns does the oem paper block and how many does the aFe dry flo s block? or the K&N? And for how long? Just saying it without any numbers to go with it is just kind of hollow. Narrow down the more dirt in engine for us. More dirt in engine could mean dusty environment vs. in-town cement environment regardless of filter type.
Have a chat with Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
Need more power for my slow truck. Havent had a problem yet with my amsoil filter. 180k. Just keep it clean and oiled after offroading
.2 hp is going to help? Lol.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #389

Butt dyno says like 50 hp man!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #390
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the afe pro dry s filter...but not sure i like it. I seem to lose bottom end torque when i use the AFe.. Does anyone else notice this on their 4.0l?
I like the OE air filter by Denso..The Denso P/N Bpr7.. I also use the oe oil filter which you all know is made my denso.

Im using Ams oil XR 25,000 miles/yr.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #391
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
DC'd my K&N and bought a nice fuzzy Fram
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #392
WiscTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior guardian of freedoms.
WiscTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered AFE Pro Dry S. It was 63 and change, shipped. (amazon)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #394
Shake N Bake will become famous soon enough

Shake N Bake's Tacoma Gallery
K&N. Came with the truck, seems to do fine. Had the same one on my old Chevy
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #395
WiscTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior guardian of freedoms.
WiscTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Update. Installed Afe pro dry s filter.
*I don't intend to start an air filter vs. mpg argument*-Tank prior-21.57 Tank w/ AFE-22.23

mpg may be debatable but it definitely runs smoother and I swear it starts better as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #396
JaredB is on a distinguished road
JaredB's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this is helpful but might want to take a look anyway:
Filter comparison

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Old 06-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #397
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
I just tossed in a STP for $18. The previous filter was black with crud.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #398
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
K&N. Seems to have improved mpg, but I have other mods as well. Definitely increased the sound from the engine. When it's on fast idle warming up, I can hear the the being sucked while in the cab.

My bad, I drive a first gen.
Ended up in here somehow.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #399
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscTaco View Post
Just ordered AFE Pro Dry S. It was 63 and change, shipped. (amazon)
Do you have a part # for the 4.0L engine? I cant find it on Amazon.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #400
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Wix OE type paper #46888

Buy in bulk to save cash... http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix46888.html

$11.83 per filter

Products Discussed in this Thread