Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which AIR Filter Do You Use?

View Poll Results: What AIR Filter are You Using?
AFE Pro Dry S 763 18.32%
AFE Oil 49 1.18%
K&N Oil 1,252 30.07%
Green Oil 6 0.14%
TRD Oil 196 4.71%
FRAM 206 4.95%
Stock 1,441 34.61%
Other 251 6.03%
Voters: 4164. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Tacoma Shrek
mceagle555 has a spectacular aura aboutmceagle555 has a spectacular aura about
mceagle555's Tacoma Gallery
Which AIR Filter Do You Use?

There are a ton of threads regarding air filters, so I was hoping to help start one to condense all of the information. There is a poll created to help show what Taco users are really using.

The main questions most people are asking about each air filter are are:

1. Any horsepower gain? How much? (Ex. +10hp)
2. Any MPG gain? How much? (Ex. +2mpg from 20mpg)
3. Any trouble with oil on MAF sensor?

Please post your current air filter usage on the poll and your answers to the questions above.

Hopefully this will cut down on the repetitive threads.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceagle555 View Post
There are a ton of threads regarding air filters, so I was hoping to help start one to condense all of the information. There is a poll created to help show what Taco users are really using.

The main questions most people are asking about each air filter are are:

Please post your current air filter usage on the poll and your answers to the questions above.

Hopefully this will cut down on the repetitive threads.
2008, V6, 4X4, Auto, 5-W30 Castrol GTX oil, 87 oct. gas, AFE oil free drop in.

1. My truck will never be on a Dyno so who knows. Felt more responsive, but then I replaced the OEM filter days after I got it home as well as removing the secondary filter.
2. Got 19.2 mpg on the way home day 1 in stock form only having 11 miles on it when starting home. Haven't been on a road trip since to compare. I have gotten 16-18 mpg around town always. I put a Dynamax performance muffler on the other day so the mileage may even get worse. But damn it sounds good.
3. Dry, so no sensor worry

Not much help I know. I'm curious about highway mileage with the muffler now installed.

Now have almost 8K on the truck. Have welded the stock muffler back in at 2.5K and still getting 16-18 around town and usually 21 mph on the highway at 70-75 mph with the ac. Can't tell any difference in performance with the stock vs. the Dynamax muffler except I can hear my speakers better justifying that speaker upgrade.

Still like the AFE as I use the shop vac and it's clean and never had any dust past the filter towards the throttle body. I feel that it was $ well spent.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
afe pro dry.
1. a little more hp
2. not much maybe 1-2mpg
3. dry
Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
06 4.0 v6 prerunner.......airaid intake, no problems with oil fouling the maf sensor........dont overoil. maybe a 2 mpg gain....coupled with the right air pressure in tires, synthetic oil, intake and exhaust......other than that, dont pay alot of attention to mileage.

this was my old post when i had my 06.

edit:

right now............im just using a cheap fram air filter from autozone til i buy my afe pro dry s filter.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well being as i have a 4 banger, i have recieved a good bit of extras.

My throttle response has increased. id say anywhere between 1-3 extra HP
my Gas mileage has increased some 1-3
and no, i have not recieved any trouble with the Check engine Light or the MAF. like i said, the guys that have the 4cyl, saw better results that the guys with 6cyls. Dont get me wrong both engines experience more airflow to the thengine manifold, but the 4 cyl is a smaller engine.......... so its basic physics. the biger the engine, the more air you need to help power. the smaller the engine, the less the air needed. And because this filter yields better airflow than many other Drop in filters, the output for the engine ratio is thus increased
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
cfenn will become famous soon enough
cfenn's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil Ea filter much better than k&n

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA238-EA
Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #7
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still on the original filter, but from previous experiences I can tell you to stay away from K&N if you drive off-road. K&N has great product, but as far as trapping fine-particulate they fall short. I've heard many horror stories of K&N filtered engines becomming full of crap thet got past the filter. A pre-filter would likely curb this, but at that point you might as well get something else. Don't get me wrong, K&N is a good product... if you stick to the street. Sure, lots of Baja racers etc run K&N but they also rebuild their motors often and have little concern for trying to get 300,000miles out of a motor. K&N= best airflow, NOT best filter.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
I'm still on the original filter, but from previous experiences I can tell you to stay away from K&N if you drive off-road. K&N has great product, but as far as trapping fine-particulate they fall short. I've heard many horror stories of K&N filtered engines becomming full of crap thet got past the filter. A pre-filter would likely curb this, but at that point you might as well get something else. Don't get me wrong, K&N is a good product... if you stick to the street. Sure, lots of Baja racers etc run K&N but they also rebuild their motors often and have little concern for trying to get 300,000miles out of a motor. K&N= best airflow, NOT best filter.

I have heard the same! The odd thing about this is that the guys who developed the K&N years ago, did so specifically for race engines running the Baja 1000... Pretty strange, but i would still trust this filter as i used one on a 6.0L GM for over 100,000 miles. over 40 percent of those miles was in some of the dustiest conditions imaginable (surveyor for land developer). Never found any kind of particulate in the intake or fouled oil.

As far as the taco goes, I still have the factory filter in there. Its getting a little brown and looks like it could use a change (13k on it). I have yet to decide which way to go...
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
K&N here........I don't think I could honestly say that I have noticed any HP or MPG gains.I guess my favorite feature would be it's infinite usability.While we're on the subject,I had seen it asked if the folks who are using high-flow filters remove their secondary but I don't believe I saw the answer....Anyone?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
I use the K&N air filter, no better gas mileage or HP.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
I have heard the same! The odd thing about this is that the guys who developed the K&N years ago, did so specifically for race engines running the Baja 1000... Pretty strange, but i would still trust this filter as i used one on a 6.0L GM for over 100,000 miles. over 40 percent of those miles was in some of the dustiest conditions imaginable (surveyor for land developer). Never found any kind of particulate in the intake or fouled oil.

As far as the taco goes, I still have the factory filter in there. Its getting a little brown and looks like it could use a change (13k on it). I have yet to decide which way to go...
Yeah, that's how it usually goes: 100 horror stories stick out much more than a million success stories. I'm sure the geometry and location of the intake have a big affect on how much dust actually makes it to the filter from vehicle to vehicle. Plus, people always have to give the popular products a hard time. It's just that I've only heard of this happening with K&N filters... probably because it's a big name but either way I'd rather not have one in my new truck next time I drive through those explosive silt-dust pits found around here.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceagle555 View Post
AFE Pro Dry
1. Seems to respond better
2. No mpg change
3. Dry filter
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Yeah, that's how it usually goes: 100 horror stories stick out much more than a million success stories. I'm sure the geometry and location of the intake have a big affect on how much dust actually makes it to the filter from vehicle to vehicle. Plus, people always have to give the popular products a hard time. It's just that I've only heard of this happening with K&N filters... probably because it's a big name but either way I'd rather not have one in my new truck next time I drive through those explosive silt-dust pits found around here.

I definitely agree with you. Although i don't doubt the quality of these filters one bit, I am not sure I will spend the money for another one to be inside a regular ole daily driver of mine. The performance gains were negligible as far as i noticed. Unless you have a vehicle that is breathing ALOT of air, the gains will be exponentially less. With that said a good paper filter will do a hell of a job at keeping the dirt out, even though it can be a pain in the ass replacing them on a regular basis.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
K&N

I notice nothing.

A tiny bit louder.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
AFE PRO DRY here.
A little better throttle response.
A slight improvement in MPG
A little more sucking sound.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Team Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
K&N here........I don't think I could honestly say that I have noticed any HP or MPG gains.I guess my favorite feature would be it's infinite usability.While we're on the subject,I had seen it asked if the folks who are using high-flow filters remove their secondary but I don't believe I saw the answer....Anyone?
Canadian and New Englanders are cut from the same bolt of cloth, they love that game played on frozen water! Some people love to ice fish but what good is it to cut holes in the ice so that the puck drops thru....

Jan 1st there is a out door game in Chicago, the weather should be good, thats a great way to show some fan appreciatation, never mind raking in some extra dollars. I think Boston is in the running for future games.
Jeff O6, V6, SR5 , 6spd , 4x4
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if any companies make a foam filter drop in for our trucks?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #19
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Canadian and New Englanders are cut from the same bolt of cloth, they love that game played on frozen water! Some people love to ice fish but what good is it to cut holes in the ice so that the puck drops thru....

Jan 1st there is a out door game in Chicago, the weather should be good, thats a great way to show some fan appreciatation, never mind raking in some extra dollars. I think Boston is in the running for future games.

Lol.....Headed your way to see the Bruins vs the Pens on Jan.1st and then the Sabres on the 3rd Jeff.Looking forward to seeing Crosby,he's from about 3 hours from here.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Not just New Englanders. I played in NJ from about age 6 through 29 (when I moved to SC = no ice). They have something called "roller hockey" which I don't understand, lol! There's nothing on earth like lake hockey...

Products Discussed in this Thread