Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do my 2010 Leaf Springs look like they need the TSB ???

Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE - Do my 2010 Leaf Springs look like they need the TSB ???

Update Below Pictures

Goin' to my Dealership for my car's oil change, Thursday and thought I might bring these picture & the TSB. I've been reading about (and downloaded) the Leaf Spring TSB. This Tacoma has a 175lb Leer Cap and a 25lb +/- Bed Mat as the only weight on it. And has had nothing more than a 25lb tool bag behind the passengers seat, and 175lb. Me. Now I'm no mechanic, but from my experience, I always thought the lowest point on a a Leaf Spring was at the Axel.

So, the question is; Should my leaf springs look like this with only 200 pounds on the truck. Also, there's 2 Pics of the "Bump Stops" (if thats the correct term) that show evidence of impact. I have never felt it bottom out, and it seems to ride and take bumps OK. It's only got 1730 miles on it.

I also expect to be doing the Transmission TSB, as I have the symptoms.

I have a couple other questions, I'll post in new threads, but I'll include them here, and maybe get the answers.

Slight "Shudder" during acceleration from dead stop. Anyone else?

I find myself CONSTANTLY correcting my steering at highway speeds of 65mph or faster. Tends to want to drift left or right as soon as I've corrected the last drift. Maybe it's just 4 wheel drive, as this is my 1st, or just inherent in the Tacoma, but I can't imagine it would be, and I haven't seen any posts on the issue.

Once again I'll post these elsewhere. The Leaf Springs are my primary issue a present.

Thanks for your help in advance

Brought My Solara for Oil Chg, 05/13. Brought above Pics of Tacoma Springs.
Service Rep: "Have heard of Leaf Spring TSB, Springs Look Normal". "Bring in Tacoma Tues, 05/18. Will have Technician Drive It, and Evaluate Springs, Transmission Hesitation, Shudder, and Drift.

05/18: Tech: "My Own Bump Stops have Marks. Pics of Springs look normal, but You'll have to Talk to Service Manager about the Springs.
Tranny Hesitation: "Exists". Tranny TSB Reflash done 1/2 hour later.
Shudder During Acceleration from Start: "Noticed Minor Shudder, but NOT abnormal". (I could feel it every time he accelerated).
Drifting left/right: "Unable to duplicate" (I'll deal with later)

NOW THE SPRINGS............
Sat down in the Service Mgr's Office. Showed Pics and Brought Up TSB.
He Explained "the Springs have a lot of movement, for the ride. The Bump Stops get Impacted. That's Normal".
I Explained, there'd not been more than 200lb in the truck (Cap & Bed Mat).
Serv Mgr: "Bump Stops will still hit. I have an '09 DC, so I'm familiar with the truck and that's normal, do You have the DC"? No I have the Access Cab.
Brought Up the TSB again. He didn't want my copy, He looked it up on his PC, and started reading,......and reading. "Doesn't apply to Your Truck, Bump Stops and Shocks were Upgraded at Factory" I Explained Springs Only and an alignment for my Truck.
Serv Mgr: "Look on pg 3, Only for '05-'08 TRD pkg". At which point I suggested looking farther down where it said, 2009-2010 Non-TRD & TRD pkg.
He read on. At this time I explained I am an electrician, and the truck was bought for my business. I carry tool and materials all the time.
Serv Mgr: "Oh, Electricians are harder on trucks than anyone, they're always overloaded". At which point he got up , walked out, and went to his parts dept. When he returned...............
Serv Mgr: " I have no problem putting new Springs on Your Truck. Keep in mine you'll get a harder ride if you have an empty bed. And I didn't know they had new springs for MINE! I work my truck. What do they do? Replace the 3 Leafs with 4 Leafs? Can I take yours for a ride"?
So off we went. He couldn't duplicate the Drift or Shudder, either, but said it drove just like his '09 DC. But he did notice that the Cap, pre-loaded the springs and gave my truck a different ride than his. When we got back, he told the Serv Rep to Order My New Springs. (Scheduled for Wed. 05/26), then turned to me and said:
"Here's my card, will you call me and let me know how you like the new Springs".

Who da thunk?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
That's the three-leaf pack alright. You are eligible for the leaf spring TSB. If you are bottoming out (as it looks like you are from the bump stop impact pictures), take the truck to the dealer and show them, and tell them you heard it's a common problem and there is another 4 leaf pack that can be installed.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Go describe your symptoms to the dealership. You don't have enough load in the truck to make even the weaker of the 3-leaf packs compress to the bump stops in normal driving. That tells me the TSB is probably not the first thing to look at.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Go describe your symptoms to the dealership. You don't have enough load in the truck to make even the weaker of the 3-leaf packs compress to the bump stops in normal driving. That tells me the TSB is probably not the first thing to look at.
I'm trying to find out if the curve to the springs looks or is normal for a 200 lb load
Old 05-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
I'm trying to find out if the curve to the springs looks or is normal for a 200 lb load
They look bent backwards to me, so my answer is no, its not normal. They should have a "U" shaped continuous curve.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4x4 Access V6 and it too has a slight shutter from a dead stop. Not sure why it does this but believe it to be normal. Perhaps for the same reasons a manual transmission has when releasing the clutch and taking off in first.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
springs definately look like pooh pooh. go and get your TSB done.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I thought one of the points of the TSB is that the stock springs allow the truck to bottom out. Hence the marks on the bump stops.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
^^^

Yes, but that shouldn't happen with only a 200lb load... those look awful. My pre-TSB springs took about 400lbs and a bounce to bottom out. You have all the right symptoms to get the TSB done. When I took mine in I even rolled under the truck and showed the tech the marks on my frame. He drove with me (I had sand in the bed) because he had to but was already convinced after seeing the marks.

The slight shudder while accelerating from a stop is a very common issue. I have it and those who have lifted notice it even more. There's a video floating around somewhere that actually shows the driveshaft vibration from 0-10mph that makes it happen. From everything I can tell in talking with others here and being in other folks' trucks a slight shudder is normal.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
^^^

Yes, but that shouldn't happen with only a 200lb load... those look awful. My pre-TSB springs took about 400lbs and a bounce to bottom out. You have all the right symptoms to get the TSB done. When I took mine in I even rolled under the truck and showed the tech the marks on my frame. He drove with me (I had sand in the bed) because he had to but was already convinced after seeing the marks.
Yah, they do look Ugly, but I've had nothing to compare them to. And I have no idea if they were some "new technology" spring. LOL. Anyway, I haven't been aware of it bottoming, and the ride doesn't seem bad. The TSB requires them to do some measurements, but I'll be damned if they're gonna remove my new cap. I'm hoping they'll look at the Pics and the TSB I'll bring with me, and say "When do You want to schedule it?"
Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your bed shouldnt sit that low with 200# on it. You should get the TSB done.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Your bed shouldnt sit that low with 200# on it. You should get the TSB done.
Thanks. That seems to be the general concensus. I've noticed you seem to be one of the knowledgable "go to" guys here, so I'm glad you took a look.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Nobody has the steering correction issue?
I noticed the steering correction when I first got my truck. Either it went away with the suspension TSB or I have gotten used to it. As far as the slight shudder on takeoff, I have that also, from about 2 mph until it shifts into second, very slight, I have to be looking for it to notice it. From what I've read on here it's normal.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
^^ the TSB does call for an alignment, so that may have been the fix. does sound like an alignment issue
Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
There is a tsb on the wandering too i believe?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
The shutter your feeling is probably axle wrap due to your stock springs being weak!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
There is a tsb on the wandering too i believe?
I've seen the Xmission, Rr Springs, and Vibration TSB's (don't know if all cover 2010's), But I've seen nothing about the "wandering". I was hoping that the Leaf spring (TSB) replacement, might have an effect on both the shudder and "drifting", as an alignment is done as part of the Spring TSB. So the Spring are the current priority. I've got the Xmission Lag issue also. When I go in, Thurs., for my Car's oil change, I'll have both TSB's in hand