1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am i getting a deal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by angelitadiablo, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    angelitadiablo

angelitadiablo [OP] loves red tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    ORANGE COUNTY, Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD sports
    Just graduated from school. Will be buying my first car. I would like to get a 2010 toyota tacoma double pre runner with TRD sports V6 4X2. Is 25K a good price for it? I was offered $25500 from one place. Please help I don't want to get a lemon. Should I wait till summer comes? Will the price drop even further? There is no deal with tacoma financing. I am approved for 4% with my federal credit union. Thanks in advance for all your help

2. May 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    Is that OTD?

3. May 10, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    If that's OTD (tax/title/lic) then that's not bad. I'm looking at about 28800 out OTD tax/title/lic when I get my new ride (trd off-road double cab 4x4 6spd). Though I haven't actually ran the numbers with the dealer yet... estimation based off the USAA car buying service (750 below invoice no haggling).

4. May 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    For a brand new TRD Sport Prerunner, 25K is not too bad. It is a bit over invoice, which ideally is what you want. If you can get a truck for 2% over invoice, that would be a good price.

5. May 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    depends.

find out their cost... how much over is it??

6. May 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW:wave:

Just Curios-- Why not a 4x4?

7. May 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I hate you bastards. I owe more than that on my 07.

God it sucks living in Canuckistan some times.

8. May 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    I posted this to another forum... if you want any other advice, feel free to contact me...
    ----------------------

This is how you tell - and this is how you buy a car (this is for metropolitan areas, if you're out in the boonies with fewer dealerships to deal with, it will most likely impact this):

1. Go to edmunds.com and get the information regarding how much the dealer is paying (it will be within $100 or so). NEVER buy a car without doing this. Information is your friend.

2. Check on edmunds.com for the current, if any, incentives being offered.

Now, only you can decide what a good deal is - meaning how much the vehicle is being marked up. Much of it is timing, supply/demand and how patient you're willing to be. When I was looking at a tacoma, they were scarce for the one i wanted, so i was only able to get it down to $500 over. any other model and i can get it for $100 over.

Now - this is how you do it (I have a lot of experience in this business) - you find out if the dealer has what you want (internet, swing by the dealership - (which I don't do), etc.). I can often find what I want by checking their inventory online. Call and ask for the fleet manager (don't do this until you know exactly what you want - they don't have time to play the game). Tell him what you want, can he get it and how much over invoice is it? They will tell you it's $X over, take it or leave it. They've all even faxed me their invoice, which I ask for. NEVER talk to a salesperson first, they will want in on the deal and potentially complicate it. At this point, you're making and educated decision.

Now, some may point out that dealerships get holdbacks, etc. You'll generally never get that, don't even bother. IF you follow this method, you'll be getting a great deal and know it, not hope.

Good luck!

9. May 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    Those looking for a 4x4 I recently posted a spread sheet with some good info on cost invoice retail.
    I am on my phone and don't have the link. But if you search it's with in the last 5 days.
    I did a ton of homework and talking to dealers.
    My sport had a sticker of $31504
    my trade was an 02 Dakota witha kbb or $3200
    out the door after taxes, doc fee, registration $26k
    without a trade that same truck was quoted by several dealers 27900 to 29900.
    My recommendation is to go to dealerrater.com and fill out the request a quote and let the whores come to you, they will
    also recommend setting up an email just for that because they will clog up your email quickly.

10. May 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    Also even if you have your own financing see wha the dealer has to offer.
    I walked in with 3.09 and the dealer offered 2.5 for 48 or 2.9 for 63. I chose the latter.

11. May 10, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    angelitadiablo

angelitadiablo [OP] loves red tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    ORANGE COUNTY, Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD sports
    No $25 K is what I want to pay but those not so nice people actually is charging me $26000 bringing it down to $25000 with $1000 graduate rebate. I didn't agree to the price and walk out. I would like to get the car for $24K and then with tax and license probably around $26500 total out the door. We'll see how desperate they are. I am willing to wait for the good price. unfortunately the dealers have no special financing for tacoma. Any one have any idea when they will return with the 2.9%. Tacoma is scarce at the moment as they are not making as much. Colors are also hard to get. I am thinking of waiting till the summer and take my chance.

12. May 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I paid a little ov er $24000 for that exact truck up here in Portland. We don't have sales tax and our DMV fees are cheap. I don't think you are overpaying at that price but you could probably get it a little lower.

Products Discussed in

To Top