1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory clear bra question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cbreeze, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    cbreeze

cbreeze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica TRD Sport V6 4 X 4
    Greetings,

I just picked up my 2010 Tacoma that had the factory Clear bra applied to the hood. I am not sure why they only did the hood as it seems like the front bumper and grill take more of a beating. Doing a little research I learned that the 3M clear bra is an excellent product and contacted a local car tech do do the rest of the front. This individual did an an excellent job having been recommended by the corvette and porsche crowd. He pointed out to me that the clear bra installed by the factory looked milky and didn't seem right. Looking at my car in the sun today I could clearly see what he is talking about. The 3M product that he installed is almost invisible and there is a distinct difference between what he applied and what the factory did. Anyone else have this problem with the factory bra?

Thinking of calling the dealer on this.

cbreeze

2. May 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Interesting. Would like to know more. Keep us updated.

3. May 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    I didn't want the dealer to do anything other than hand me the keys.

a call to the dealer is warranted. If you make no head way there save yourself the headaches of going back and forth with them and have the installer put on the 3M product and call it a day.

4. May 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    i bought the front end kit for my 2010 here http://invisiblemask.com/site.html I got whole bumper, headlights, fog lights everything. I installed myself, though i caution, its a PITA. Got a few air bubbles but nothing you can see unless you are looking for them. YOu can't even tell i have it installed, so posting pics is worthless. Its a great product.

5. May 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    cbreeze

cbreeze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica TRD Sport V6 4 X 4
    Black magic, the clear bra appears to be well worth the money and done right, you can't see it on the car. Can't say that for what the factory did. My Tacoma came with the factory bra and was part of a $300.00 package. My clear bra installer also pointed out the fingerprints that were left in the factory product after the application. I didn't notice them until he pointed them out. He also told me that fingerprints were usually the sign of a poor install.

Gonna have to give this some thought. I bought the car from a stealer in Waukegan and the Taco actually came from a dealer in Indiana. In the process of purchasing my Tacoma, I had directed some questions about the factory product to my salesman but he wasn't familiar with the factory clear bra. I actually was thinking of having my guy remove the factory install and do it his way. The last thing I would want is a dealer not familiar with the product removing it and making this situation worse.

cbreeze

6. May 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    The dealer will most likely have some third party installer perform the service.

The removal and install of the hood piece may be the best $100 or so you spend.

7. May 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.

I agree with the above. I had my clear bra installed by after I purchased my truck. The protection is excellent and well worth the money to have it installed. Make sure that the installer does NOT use a blade and cut into the paint when trimming the material. The installer I used was excellent and does mostly high end cars.

I would take it back to the dealer and point out the prints. On the other hand do you want the same company that left the prints on the original job to work on your truck again? Best of luck with this issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top