Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

front axle shaft broke

Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
tcoe99 will become famous soon enoughtcoe99 will become famous soon enough
tcoe99's Tacoma Gallery
front axle shaft broke

I was wondering if anybody knew how much damage i could cause if i continued to run my truck with a busted front axle. it makes a very nice clunk sound occaisionally. i need it for work dealer cant get parts till next week some time. any thoughts would be great.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch... don't know exactly how much but I would avoid driving it as much as possible
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
drove on a busted rear axle for 2 days after going offroading.... not really good for the truck.. try to avoid driving it
Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
more detail on where it broke/how and you will get more help.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Need some pics plus where did it break?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
tcoe99's Tacoma Gallery
it is busted where it connects to the wheel. it rattles alot then the ocaisional clunk. i need a week out of it !! it hurts to run her like this but i have no options
Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Take it off completely. Better to drive with nothing there since you aren't going to be using it anyway.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the axle. Cap the hole on the side of the diff.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Well if its just the axle shaft I wouldnt think it would hurt it to drive short distances. But get it fixed ASAP.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Actually now that you described it, something just like this happened to me on my humvee overseas. The mechanic used a zip tie to hold it together for the drive home, but it kept breaking anyways. We had broke the bolt holding the tie rod to the wheel hub, but we had to replace the whole thing after driving on it
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
tcoe99's Tacoma Gallery
my dealer is replacing everything under warranty because they noticed the boot clamps were off when they put the lift on. they just didnt fix the boots at that time, they say they had no time. to make things worse its been raining here for a week so i dont want to have anything open. is it possible for the wheel to lock up on me or will it just bang around under there. its still in the boot.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
tcoe99's Tacoma Gallery
they say i will void warranty if i touch it. dont know how considering they know about it, but with that in mind i am not payin for this fix.