Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck Alarm ( I know, another alarm thread )

Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Alarm ( I know, another alarm thread )

I know, I know, another alarm thread. Flame on! But I need help and I couldn't find the answers by searching. Sorry.

Every few months it seems, some car in the parking lot where I live gets broken into. I am looking for a good alarm with a paging feature. I want to have the shock sensors, as well as glass break. I want to know if someone is checking the handle or trying so slim jim the door. I dont want the thing going off everytime a cat jumps on the hood though. I DO NOT want to be that guy with the alarm going off ten times a night. I am going to have a shop do the install, and my family is chipping in to get it for my birthday, so cost is pretty much covered. What do you all think is a good system? Will remote start work with the ignition that requires the transponder key? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
... I want to have the shock sensors, as well as glass break. I want to know if someone is checking the handle or trying so slim jim the door. I dont want the thing going off everytime a cat jumps on the hood though.
Not real experienced with alarms, but good luck with this. Anything sensitive enough to trip when someone rattles the door handle seems likely to be set off by the cat or someone's a$$ getting out of the car in the next space.

Hope you can get it dialed in right. Thanks for not being "that guy with the annoying alarm"
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Mckeown343
Kyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really nice

Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
Python 902 is what i have it come with all of this...
6 Channel Security/Keyless Entry System
Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
Parking Light Flash
Failsafe® Starter Kill
Remote Adjustable Stinger® DoubleGaurd® Shock Sensor
Revenger® Six-tone Siren
Bright Blue LED Status Indicator
Dome Light Supervision - On-board Relay
Comfort Closure
5 Auxiliary Outputs
Horn Honk
Includes One 2-way Responder Transceiver and One 4-button Transmitter
I love mine there is an optional 1 mile radius remote which i have. I would buy any other product. You can find everything you need here DirectedElectronics.com
Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have a CodeAlarm system. I think Audiovox bought them out. It has a remote starter that works with the transponder key. It is a paging system that alerts you if the if the alarm has been triggered. It has a pre-trigger mode that chirps the remote and the siren if someone bumps your truck, or hits one of the windows, but not hard enough to break it. it will go off on shock/vibration, and has a glass break sensor. I had switch put in for the tailgate. The alarm will trigger if the hood or door is opened. It also cuts off the ignition when it is armed. If you remote start it, remote tells you if it it has started. If you live in a cold climate like I do, it can be set to start and run for 10 minutes or however long you set it for, to warm the truck up every 2 hours, or whenever it drops below a certain temperature. The remote also displays the temperature in the cab. So you can remote start it with the air conditioner/heater running, and check the cabin temperature on your remote, and not go out to the truck until it's comfy. It also tells you if a door is left open. There are 2 spare channels that you can have programmed to open and close power windows or anything else. That requires an add on module. It operates the power locks too. The shock sensitivity is adjustable, so if it false alarms 10 times a day, you can adjust it. The remote has a range of 1.2 km in open field. That's about 3/4 mile. I paid about $600 for it installed here in Canada. I think things in the US are less expensive.

Good luck finding what you're looking for.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I will be looking into these options. I was also checking out the Viper 5901, but it's damn expensive.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
D
DavidT will become famous soon enough

DavidT's Tacoma Gallery
i have a viper 5701. the keypad sucks on it. put it in your pocket and it'll push all the buttons. go with a autopage alarm
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
what would you do if the pager goes off anyways? eff it..put the $$ into some killer insurance.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
http://mobile.audiovox.com/audiovox/...DUCT_ID=CA6550

I have it and have not had a problem. I wouldn't worry much about it going off during the night or being 'that guy'. Because the one time it doesn't go off is one time too many.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #10

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
what would you do if the pager goes off anyways? eff it..put the $$ into some killer insurance.
Besides stopping them? My good friend Gaston and I would have our say about what's going on.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post

Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #12

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Exactly.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
i have a viper 5701. the keypad sucks on it. put it in your pocket and it'll push all the buttons. go with a autopage alarm
Viper/Clifford/Python are all Directed Electronics. Also probably the most reputable alarm around that most people agree is as good a setup as you can get.

Personally I was looking into the Viper 5901 or it's equivalent in Clifford/Python (but I do like the viper logo lol). I wanted remote start as well though.

Also to note, when I looked I could get the Clifford for about 3 bills cheaper installed at Ultimate than I was finding the viper.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #14

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Viper/Clifford/Python are all Directed Electronics. Also probably the most reputable alarm around that most people agree is as good a setup as you can get.

Personally I was looking into the Viper 5901 or it's equivalent in Clifford/Python (but I do like the viper logo lol). I wanted remote start as well though.

Also to note, when I looked I could get the Clifford for about 3 bills cheaper installed at Ultimate than I was finding the viper.
Good to know. I will look into that. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
HIKR is on a distinguished road

HIKR's Tacoma Gallery
I have the python 991 - same as the Viper 5901, just different name and remote. I love mine...1 mile range has been verified while hiking, and the piece of mind of a long-range 2-way transponder is awesome. $500 installed, and that was a killer deal, so ymmv on the cost