1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Alarm ( I know, another alarm thread )

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NraFan, May 10, 2010.

1. May 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    NraFan

NraFan [OP] Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    I know, I know, another alarm thread. Flame on! But I need help and I couldn't find the answers by searching. Sorry.

Every few months it seems, some car in the parking lot where I live gets broken into. I am looking for a good alarm with a paging feature. I want to have the shock sensors, as well as glass break. I want to know if someone is checking the handle or trying so slim jim the door. I dont want the thing going off everytime a cat jumps on the hood though. I DO NOT want to be that guy with the alarm going off ten times a night. I am going to have a shop do the install, and my family is chipping in to get it for my birthday, so cost is pretty much covered. What do you all think is a good system? Will remote start work with the ignition that requires the transponder key? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

2. May 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    ScubaCougr

ScubaCougr Active Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRrunner
    nerf bars
    Not real experienced with alarms, but good luck with this. Anything sensitive enough to trip when someone rattles the door handle seems likely to be set off by the cat or someone's a$$ getting out of the car in the next space.

Hope you can get it dialed in right. Thanks for not being "that guy with the annoying alarm"

3. May 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Kyle

Kyle Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
    Python 902 is what i have it come with all of this...
    6 Channel Security/Keyless Entry System
    Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
    Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
    Parking Light Flash
    Failsafe® Starter Kill
    Remote Adjustable Stinger® DoubleGaurd® Shock Sensor
    Revenger® Six-tone Siren
    Bright Blue LED Status Indicator
    Dome Light Supervision - On-board Relay
    Comfort Closure
    5 Auxiliary Outputs
    Horn Honk
    Includes One 2-way Responder Transceiver and One 4-button Transmitter
    I love mine there is an optional 1 mile radius remote which i have. I would buy any other product. You can find everything you need here DirectedElectronics.com

4. May 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Kyle

Kyle Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
  5. May 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I have a CodeAlarm system. I think Audiovox bought them out. It has a remote starter that works with the transponder key. It is a paging system that alerts you if the if the alarm has been triggered. It has a pre-trigger mode that chirps the remote and the siren if someone bumps your truck, or hits one of the windows, but not hard enough to break it. it will go off on shock/vibration, and has a glass break sensor. I had switch put in for the tailgate. The alarm will trigger if the hood or door is opened. It also cuts off the ignition when it is armed. If you remote start it, remote tells you if it it has started. If you live in a cold climate like I do, it can be set to start and run for 10 minutes or however long you set it for, to warm the truck up every 2 hours, or whenever it drops below a certain temperature. The remote also displays the temperature in the cab. So you can remote start it with the air conditioner/heater running, and check the cabin temperature on your remote, and not go out to the truck until it's comfy. :D It also tells you if a door is left open. There are 2 spare channels that you can have programmed to open and close power windows or anything else. That requires an add on module. It operates the power locks too. The shock sensitivity is adjustable, so if it false alarms 10 times a day, you can adjust it. The remote has a range of 1.2 km in open field. That's about 3/4 mile. I paid about $600 for it installed here in Canada. I think things in the US are less expensive.

Good luck finding what you're looking for.

6. May 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. I will be looking into these options. I was also checking out the Viper 5901, but it's damn expensive.

7. May 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    DavidT

DavidT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, FL
    Horsepower decals
    i have a viper 5701. the keypad sucks on it. put it in your pocket and it'll push all the buttons. go with a autopage alarm

8. May 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    what would you do if the pager goes off anyways? eff it..put the $$ into some killer insurance.

9. May 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
  10. May 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Besides stopping them? My good friend Gaston and I would have our say about what's going on.

11. May 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

:quickdraw:

12. May 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Exactly.

13. May 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Viper/Clifford/Python are all Directed Electronics. Also probably the most reputable alarm around that most people agree is as good a setup as you can get.

Personally I was looking into the Viper 5901 or it's equivalent in Clifford/Python (but I do like the viper logo lol). I wanted remote start as well though.

Also to note, when I looked I could get the Clifford for about 3 bills cheaper installed at Ultimate than I was finding the viper.

14. May 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Good to know. I will look into that. Thanks!

15. May 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    I have the python 991 - same as the Viper 5901, just different name and remote. I love mine...1 mile range has been verified while hiking, and the piece of mind of a long-range 2-way transponder is awesome. $500 installed, and that was a killer deal, so ymmv on the cost

Products Discussed in

To Top