1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB on a TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grey Jay, May 10, 2010.

1. May 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    Grey Jay

Grey Jay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    Heard that putting an ARB locker on a TRD sport model required more frigging around than replacing the toyota open diff like on an SR5 or base model. Checked the ARB application guide an did not notice anything.

Any info?

2. May 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    the sport has the same size diff as the open diffs just with a limited slip unit installed.

3. May 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I thought the sport was a diferent size than the open dif (base model) and the off road models.

4. May 10, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    The install will be no different than it would installing an ARB locker into a PreRunner or base 4x4 third member. The only difference at all would be removing the limited slip in the 05' - 08' models and installing the locker in its place, vs. removing the open carrier and installing the locker. Not an ounce of extra work involved. The carrier has to be removed and replaced either way.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the Off-Road and 5 luggers use different third members, so there is a total of three separate thirds floating around in your 2nd gen Tacoma trucks. Another thing to note, your '09+ Tacoma Sport's utilize an open carrier that will accept the ARB locker. The "Auto LSD" found in these Sports is purely electronic and nothing more then the computer independently actuating the rear brakes to redistribute torque.

5. May 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper

Does that mean that I just disengage the LSD? I want the rear locker but am soooooooo green and don't know how the mechanics work

6. May 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    IIRC- Your truck has an open diff and eletronic LSD...so when you open the rear end (or have the rear end opened for you) you'll just take out the open diff and then you'll install the airlocker with the associated plumbing and what not.

7. May 14, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    no disengage......complete removal of the LSD in the rear diff if you have 05-08. 09+ is open and u just slap it in like any other open diff

8. May 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    I gotcha there. was more concerned that maybe the LSD conflicts with the locker? any preference electric vs air locker?

9. May 14, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd rather an air locker personally. And I don't think your wheel sensors will sense the proper inputs to engage the LSD if you are locked out...but I would disenage the LSD if I was using the locker if it was me...Fraggin a differential sucks.

10. May 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    alright. so 4x4 with locker in tough situations and no locker + LSD for anything else. Seems right to me. I don't even have a clue as to what the VSC does or how it works so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the help meng

11. May 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    You don't have any thing to worry about mechanically. In your situation the shop would remove your open carrier, and replace it with the locker of your choice. After replacing the carrier, the shop would then setup your ring and pinion again to factory specs. I would recommend an ARB. I haven't run them in the Tacoma, but have in other vehicles with good luck. It would be a win-win for you. The ARB will be a lot stronger than the factory locker, and the ring & pinion that comes with the "8.4" rears seems to fair much better to abuse than the 8" factory locked rears.

12. May 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    as for the disengaging of LSD in certain circumstances, etc. i'd talk to ARB and see what they recommend. they should have done actual testing in these areas and can tell you if locking and not turning off the LSD/VSC, etc will hurt anything

13. May 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    X2

I cant see the Auto LSD causing any effect on having the rear locked via an after-market locker, ALTHOUGH, I can see having VSC engaged and whipping the back end around a corner causing the front wheel speeds to read significantly out of proportion, causing and issue with the rear. If nothing else, it would be fairly easy to simply disable the VSC while using the locker. It's not like most people typically cruise with the locker engaged anyways.

14. May 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    That was what I was gathering. I think better safe than sorry. Its not like I need either LSD or VSC on while doing that kind of off roading. I will speak with ARB and see what they say anyhow. Don't think I should be doin any of this untill my warranty runs out anyways....

15. May 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    well u can do this and hold ya over for a while.....

yellow wire mod
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/51946-4low-trac.html

16. May 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    WHAT!!!! I read the whole thing and I'm all over it. That will save me a fair bit of cash and I don't have to wait. SO no one has heard of ANY issues with this in the end? It just seems too good to be true...

17. May 15, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    A7XT

A7XT Reppin UWYO

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    WYOMING
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport V6 Silver
    BRUTEFORCE FAB HYBRID BUMPER!, 1.5 AAL, 5100 at 2.5" in front, foglight and DRL mod, fully de-badged, diff-breather mod, aux backup lights, rear view switch on mod, full husky floor liners, yellow wire mod, black action packer toolbox, Rockford P3SD412 sub on a hifonics Zues, Pioneer 4200DVD, hitch recovery shackle, Toyota Ski racks over bed, 55W Bixenon 6000K, Rigid 4" LED bars on bumper, Black Ultra Thunder 17" rims
    I just did the yellow wire mod yesterday because I just see benefits with it. The 4LO light blinks instead of stays lit now, and I havent tested it in a "stuck" situation yet but I can't wait!! Seems to be awesome and I can't imagine any negative effects down the road as long as you drive it like it should be driven.

18. May 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    But it is an advantage over no mod/locker right? I can't put a locker in unless I want to void my warranty and having LSD while in 4L is better than not. I would only be using the mod if I was stuck anyways (no long term) so this would be a cheap fix if I get really stuck. plus I look like a mad scientist to the wifey/spectators. hahaha

19. May 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    Ya, I think Im kinda lucky, even with the sport model, i have quite a few options to look at. I think I will try the yellow wire mod for the time being. If it doesn't work so hot Ill get myself into an ARB rear locker and a winch. With those 2 things there wont be a lot that can stop me. still wish I had A-TRACK though

20. May 16, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    The auto-lsd and open rears found on the 4x4 and pre-runners are actually the 8.4" rear. Only the E-Locked rears are 8".

Products Discussed in

To Top