Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ARB on a TRD

Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Grey Jay is on a distinguished road
Grey Jay's Tacoma Gallery
ARB on a TRD

Heard that putting an ARB locker on a TRD sport model required more frigging around than replacing the toyota open diff like on an SR5 or base model. Checked the ARB application guide an did not notice anything.

Any info?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
the sport has the same size diff as the open diffs just with a limited slip unit installed.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the sport was a diferent size than the open dif (base model) and the off road models.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
The install will be no different than it would installing an ARB locker into a PreRunner or base 4x4 third member. The only difference at all would be removing the limited slip in the 05' - 08' models and installing the locker in its place, vs. removing the open carrier and installing the locker. Not an ounce of extra work involved. The carrier has to be removed and replaced either way.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the Off-Road and 5 luggers use different third members, so there is a total of three separate thirds floating around in your 2nd gen Tacoma trucks. Another thing to note, your '09+ Tacoma Sport's utilize an open carrier that will accept the ARB locker. The "Auto LSD" found in these Sports is purely electronic and nothing more then the computer independently actuating the rear brakes to redistribute torque.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
mattsowell is on a distinguished road

mattsowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
The install will be no different than it would installing an ARB locker into a PreRunner or base 4x4 third member. The only difference at all would be removing the limited slip in the 05' - 08' models and installing the locker in its place, vs. removing the open carrier and installing the locker. Not an ounce of extra work involved. The carrier has to be removed and replaced either way.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the Off-Road and 5 luggers use different third members, so there is a total of three separate thirds floating around in your 2nd gen Tacoma trucks. Another thing to note, your '09+ Tacoma Sport's utilize an open carrier that will accept the ARB locker. The "Auto LSD" found in these Sports is purely electronic and nothing more then the computer independently actuating the rear brakes to redistribute torque.

Does that mean that I just disengage the LSD? I want the rear locker but am soooooooo green and don't know how the mechanics work
Old 05-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsowell View Post
Does that mean that I just disengage the LSD? I want the rear locker but am soooooooo green and don't know how the mechanics work
IIRC- Your truck has an open diff and eletronic LSD...so when you open the rear end (or have the rear end opened for you) you'll just take out the open diff and then you'll install the airlocker with the associated plumbing and what not.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no disengage......complete removal of the LSD in the rear diff if you have 05-08. 09+ is open and u just slap it in like any other open diff
Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
IIRC- Your truck has an open diff and eletronic LSD...so when you open the rear end (or have the rear end opened for you) you'll just take out the open diff and then you'll install the airlocker with the associated plumbing and what not.
I gotcha there. was more concerned that maybe the LSD conflicts with the locker? any preference electric vs air locker?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
I gotcha there. was more concerned that maybe the LSD conflicts with the locker? any preference electric vs air locker?
I'd rather an air locker personally. And I don't think your wheel sensors will sense the proper inputs to engage the LSD if you are locked out...but I would disenage the LSD if I was using the locker if it was me...Fraggin a differential sucks.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'd rather an air locker personally. And I don't think your wheel sensors will sense the proper inputs to engage the LSD if you are locked out...but I would disenage the LSD if I was using the locker if it was me...Fraggin a differential sucks.
alright. so 4x4 with locker in tough situations and no locker + LSD for anything else. Seems right to me. I don't even have a clue as to what the VSC does or how it works so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the help meng
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't have any thing to worry about mechanically. In your situation the shop would remove your open carrier, and replace it with the locker of your choice. After replacing the carrier, the shop would then setup your ring and pinion again to factory specs. I would recommend an ARB. I haven't run them in the Tacoma, but have in other vehicles with good luck. It would be a win-win for you. The ARB will be a lot stronger than the factory locker, and the ring & pinion that comes with the "8.4" rears seems to fair much better to abuse than the 8" factory locked rears.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

as for the disengaging of LSD in certain circumstances, etc. i'd talk to ARB and see what they recommend. they should have done actual testing in these areas and can tell you if locking and not turning off the LSD/VSC, etc will hurt anything
Old 05-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
as for the disengaging of LSD in certain circumstances, etc. i'd talk to ARB and see what they recommend. they should have done actual testing in these areas and can tell you if locking and not turning off the LSD/VSC, etc will hurt anything
X2

I cant see the Auto LSD causing any effect on having the rear locked via an after-market locker, ALTHOUGH, I can see having VSC engaged and whipping the back end around a corner causing the front wheel speeds to read significantly out of proportion, causing and issue with the rear. If nothing else, it would be fairly easy to simply disable the VSC while using the locker. It's not like most people typically cruise with the locker engaged anyways.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
X2

I cant see the Auto LSD causing any effect on having the rear locked via an after-market locker, ALTHOUGH, I can see having VSC engaged and whipping the back end around a corner causing the front wheel speeds to read significantly out of proportion, causing and issue with the rear. If nothing else, it would be fairly easy to simply disable the VSC while using the locker. It's not like most people typically cruise with the locker engaged anyways.
That was what I was gathering. I think better safe than sorry. Its not like I need either LSD or VSC on while doing that kind of off roading. I will speak with ARB and see what they say anyhow. Don't think I should be doin any of this untill my warranty runs out anyways....
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
That was what I was gathering. I think better safe than sorry. Its not like I need either LSD or VSC on while doing that kind of off roading. I will speak with ARB and see what they say anyhow. Don't think I should be doin any of this untill my warranty runs out anyways....
well u can do this and hold ya over for a while.....

yellow wire mod
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
well u can do this and hold ya over for a while.....

yellow wire mod
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html
WHAT!!!! I read the whole thing and I'm all over it. That will save me a fair bit of cash and I don't have to wait. SO no one has heard of ANY issues with this in the end? It just seems too good to be true...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
Reppin UWYO
A7XT will become famous soon enoughA7XT will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
WHAT!!!! I read the whole thing and I'm all over it. That will save me a fair bit of cash and I don't have to wait. SO no one has heard of ANY issues with this in the end? It just seems too good to be true...
I just did the yellow wire mod yesterday because I just see benefits with it. The 4LO light blinks instead of stays lit now, and I havent tested it in a "stuck" situation yet but I can't wait!! Seems to be awesome and I can't imagine any negative effects down the road as long as you drive it like it should be driven.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I really didn't see a difference in my mechanical LSD and Jamies yellow wired modded electronic LSD. We both had problems in the same spots at the last URE meet and we both made it through those spots on our own. I would save up and get the locker before I spiced into wires for the computer system/4x4 system.
But it is an advantage over no mod/locker right? I can't put a locker in unless I want to void my warranty and having LSD while in 4L is better than not. I would only be using the mod if I was stuck anyways (no long term) so this would be a cheap fix if I get really stuck. plus I look like a mad scientist to the wifey/spectators. hahaha
Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
The mechanical LSD models have a 8.4" rear while the open, TRD OR locked, and the electronic LSD have a 8" rear
Ya, I think Im kinda lucky, even with the sport model, i have quite a few options to look at. I think I will try the yellow wire mod for the time being. If it doesn't work so hot Ill get myself into an ARB rear locker and a winch. With those 2 things there wont be a lot that can stop me. still wish I had A-TRACK though
Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The mechanical LSD models have a 8.4" rear while the open, TRD OR locked, and the electronic LSD have a 8" rear
The auto-lsd and open rears found on the 4x4 and pre-runners are actually the 8.4" rear. Only the E-Locked rears are 8".